Saddle

Hi Alaskan
When you get a minute, could you please confirm what the overall width is across the back of the saddle
From the SA website I can see it is 290mm long, but I can’t see where it states the width
The H2 is 165mm wide. This is the saddle rated for riders up to 250 lbs. (113.5kg) Their X-Series is for up to 190 lbs. (86kg).

They are currently having a 25% off spring sale on orders over $150

The H2 is 165mm wide. This is the saddle rated for riders up to 250 lbs. (113.5kg) Their X-Series is for up to 190 lbs. (86kg).

They are currently having a 25% off spring sale on orders over $150

Hi Alaskan. Thank you for posting such extensive information. Based on your recommendation I thought I would give the Selle Anatomica H2 a go for the 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0 I have on order, especially since it was on sale. Since I really like having a Kinekt 2.1 suspension seatpost on my Super Commuter +7, I wanted one for the Vado as well. Was able to get 25% off on both the Selle Anatomica H2 saddle and the Kinekt 2.1 on the Selle Anatomica website.

Hi Alaskan. Thank you for posting such extensive information. Based on your recommendation I thought I would give the Selle Anatomica H2 a go for the 2020 Specialized Vado 4.0 I have on order, especially since it was on sale. Since I really like having a Kinekt 2.1 suspension seatpost on my Super Commuter +7, I wanted one for the Vado as well. Was able to get 25% off on both the Selle Anatomica H2 saddle and the Kinekt 2.1 on the Selle Anatomica website.
I hope they work out well for you.

The Very Last Try

Encouraged by @Readytoride who said I should continue the Holy Grail Quest... Actually she hasn't used there words but the spirit was there... :D ...I bought the Ergon ST Core Prime Men saddle. I trust Ergon; their handlebar grips are excellent. The saddle is for my Vado when it arrives back from the LBS. I've just sat on it. Pleasantly soft, supporting my behind properly. We'll see on the first longer ride though. I own more saddles than pedals now 🤣

1589008085085.png

The Very Last Try

Encouraged by @Readytoride who said I should continue the Holy Grail Quest... Actually she hasn't used there words but the spirit was there... :D ...I bought the Ergon ST Core Prime Men saddle. I trust Ergon; their handlebar grips are excellent. The saddle is for my Vado when it arrives back from the LBS. I've just sat on it. Pleasantly soft, supporting my behind properly. We'll see on the first longer ride though. I own more saddles than pedals now 🤣

View attachment 51913
Have you tried the Brooks B17? If yes, what didn't you like about it?

I've found using the rubber seats when I usually bike in jeans or shorts the rubber grips the pants which makes the pants abrade my skin, whereas with the leather saddle it is slicker, so the pants slide on the seat saving the skin:).

Least you don't have more wives than pedals or saddles, then you couldn't afford either:).

Least you don't have more wives than pedals or saddles, then you couldn't afford either:).
Hah, Marcela, a good one!

I realise the leather saddle is good for people riding in casual clothes. Call me a snob but I've standardised on Lycra padded shorts and bibs. The synthetic leather used in modern saddles is decidedly not the rubber!

I have the Ergon ST core prime and use it for rides doing errands around town with regular clothes and no padded liner shorts. For long rides nothing beats the comfort of padded lycra tights or shorts with the Selle Anatomica H2 leather saddle. It contours right away to my tush, eliminating chaff points. I do have a Brooks B17 which comes in a close second but it lacks the center cut out which allows each side of the saddle to move independently, which I think makes a difference.

On the other hand, Nancy tried several different saddles, Brooks included, and settled on the wom,an's versions of the Ergon ST Core Prime. She rides with padded shorts and holds up well on longer rides.

20200419_152016.jpg

Competitive Cyclist recently had a saddle sale so I picked up a couple of ones that have worked well for me in the past. I just like everyone else finds that saddles are very much personal preference. Like Stephan I am accumulating a bunch of old saddles that I no longer use. I wouldn't say they're terrible, just don't like them as much as my favourites.

This recently arrived, now I just need to install it.

Attachments

• IMG_0053.JPG
    IMG_0053.JPG
    358.7 KB · Views: 395
Would anyone have an opinion as to whether the Selle H2 would be suitable for the more upright position on the Como? I find the stock saddle to be uncomfortable on longer rides and my boys are sometimes hurting. I do try to ride a bit more aggressively and tend to lean forward a bit more than upright. I chatted with Selle online and asked the question and they said it would be fine, but they're also in the biz of selling saddles.

Bumping this one time to see if anyone has an opinion? I have the wide ass saddle on the Como, which feels fine for up to 10 miles or so then it becomes more numbing. I want to get in on the Selle sale before it expires if that's a good upright seat option.

The R&M Homage shown above with the tan H2 is a relatively upright bike and that saddle matches up very nicely for me on that bike. The various saddle series from Selle Anatomica are based on weight so make sure you get the one rated for your weight. The R2 is rubber not leather so is good for wet conditions but it is thick and less compliant than the leather. I have both but prefer the leather for comfort.

Ended up ordering Specialized Body Geometry Comfort Gel to try.
it is wider than the Canopy Comp that came with my Vado 5 (180mm vs 153mm). Level 5 padding (same as Canopy Comp).
it is made for casual and commute riding.
Most of my rides are about 25miles or about 2 hours so it might not be noticeable difference.
btw I noticed Specialized has reduced the price of Turbo Vado 5. I guess since Turbo Vado SL is out!

Ended up ordering Specialized Body Geometry Comfort Gel to try.
it is wider than the Canopy Comp that came with my Vado 5 (180mm vs 153mm). Level 5 padding (same as Canopy Comp).
it is made for casual and commute riding.
Most of my rides are about 25miles or about 2 hours so it might not be noticeable difference.
btw I noticed Specialized has reduced the price of Turbo Vado 5. I guess since Turbo Vado SL is out!

I'll be interested in how you like the new seat. I've built up enough tough on my arse the B17 is hard to beat. Went down to try a wide padded composite seat and found there was more heat and it didn't let me legs drop over the front of the seat as well. Didn't feel my sit bones though:). Would like to try the seat they use on the Como, the 'Cup'.

I just noticed also Specialized dropped the price on the V5.0 also. So 650 miles cost me $800. Don't think that is too much of a bargain except maybe for the next guy.

I have the Ergon ST core prime and use it for rides doing errands around town with regular clothes and no padded liner shorts. For long rides nothing beats the comfort of padded lycra tights or shorts with the Selle Anatomica H2 leather saddle. It contours right away to my tush, eliminating chaff points. I do have a Brooks B17 which comes in a close second but it lacks the center cut out which allows each side of the saddle to move independently, which I think makes a difference.
The Ergon looks really good. Where did you get it? I checked Ergon's online store and it's marked Sold Out and no way to get notification when it's back in stock.

Scratch that. Found it on Amazon, which is safer since it's easy to return.

The Holy Grail Finally Found?
  • Ergon ST Core Prime Men: I installed it on my Vado and forgot the saddle existed at all. I wonder if part of the good experience might result from the simultaneous usage of the Kinekt 2.1 suspension seat-post. I stopped looking for yet another saddle!
  • Selle Royal eZone proved itself on my Trance E+. I attribute it to a different (forward) sitting position on an e-MTB; and to the full suspension.
  • Selle Royal Respiro Moderate Women: My third e-bike, the Lovelec allows me riding in the most upright position of the three e-bikes I own. Such position means pressure acting on the buttocks. Large and comfy saddle proves itself here, with two metric centuries ridden on that saddle.
No more of the Quest!

Thank you @Readytoride for inspiring me to continue searching for the best saddle for me!

Last edited:
The Holy Grail Finally Found?
  • Ergon ST Core Prime Men: I installed it on my Vado and forgot the saddle existed at all. I wonder if part of the good experience might result from the simultaneous usage of the Kinekt 2.1 suspension seat-post. I stopped looking for yet another saddle!
  • Selle Royal eZone proved itself on my Trance E+. I attribute it to a different (forward) sitting position on an e-MTB; and to the full suspension.
  • Selle Royal Respiro Moderate Women: My third e-bike, the Lovelec allows me riding in the most upright position of the three e-bikes I own. Such position means pressure acting on the buttocks. Large and comfy saddle proves itself here, with two metric centuries ridden on that saddle.
No more of the Quest!

Thank you @Readytoride for inspiring me to continue searching for the best saddle for me!
Stefan, what size Ergon ST are you using?

Stefan, what size Ergon ST are you using?
Not Stefan, but I installed my ST Core this morning. My sit-bones are at 12.5 cm and Ergon recommended the M/L size. As soon as I was finished I wanted to take it around the block for a first impression, but it was raining again! Anyway, I hope to do at least that by the end of the day. All I can say right now is that it is at least a nice-looking saddle.

Back