Saddle

I have about 150 miles on my Brooks B17. For the first 50 miles, it was uncomfortable as hell like sitting on concrete. But gradually, the pain started to go away and it's a lot more comfortable. Not sure whether it's the seat or my butt developed callouses. 😄

I received the Ergon (Black/Gray) in small/medium. The large was too big for me. Went for a short ride and feels good. More to come.

Also Received Specialized BG Comfort Gel. On a short ride feels too big. Also not sure if the ride was as comfortable as Ergon.

Ergon might be to keep.

Attachments

• EC1C54B6-07B9-43F0-AC29-503DE1488982.jpeg
    EC1C54B6-07B9-43F0-AC29-503DE1488982.jpeg
    430.2 KB · Views: 451
  • 6CE3BD0F-6BCE-40F0-8768-9DCDE68F8616.jpeg
    6CE3BD0F-6BCE-40F0-8768-9DCDE68F8616.jpeg
    542.5 KB · Views: 418
My wife and I have been really happy with SQLabs saddles. They will send you a measuring kit for free, but you can just sit on some cardboard and measure between the center of the indentations.

As a follow-up, I sent the Ergon back after a few rides and have a Selle Royal Respiro Mens Moderate waiting to put on when I get my bike back from the LBS. For the cost of the Ergon, I was really glad I could buy through Amazon just for the return policy. In fact, it's so easy now you don't even have to box up the item. I carried into a UPS Store about a mile away, they scanned a QR code off my phone, handed me a receipt, and that was it. About an hour or two later, I was notified that the full cost had been credited back to my account!

As a follow-up, I sent the Ergon back after a few rides and have a Selle Royal Respiro Mens Moderate waiting to put on when I get my bike back from the LBS. For the cost of the Ergon, I was really glad I could buy through Amazon just for the return policy. In fact, it's so easy now you don't even have to box up the item. I carried into a UPS Store about a mile away, they scanned a QR code off my phone, handed me a receipt, and that was it. About an hour or two later, I was notified that the full cost had been credited back to my account!
Agree Amazon is the way to go if you are not sure the item is a keeper.
I do the same....

I was able to get my bike out yesterday for the first time with the Ergon ST Core Prime saddle and so far it looks like a winner. I first rode it around the neighborhood wearing street clothes and found it to be way better than the stock saddle. I would only be riding this way for short distances anyway -- a mile or two at the most for errands, etc.

Later I rode 25 miles in low-level bike shorts: baggy MTB-style shorts with a separate liner with a basic pad. This worked out well, but there's really no seat made that will seem to totally "disappear" for me. But again, better than OEM and quite suitable for the length of the rides I'll typically be doing.

The final test will be with a pair of my bib shorts with the all-day road chamois that I expect will be totally plush. But that will be another day. For now, it's not worth the time or hassle to try another saddle and I'm satisfied with the Ergon.

View attachment 53255

View attachment 53258
@rochrunner did you do your long ride with Ergon. I have done the neighborhood ride and a short 10 miles so far with the small/medium size that I just received. As you mentioned the real test is ride over 25 miles.

The Very Last Try

Encouraged by @Readytoride who said I should continue the Holy Grail Quest... Actually she hasn't used there words but the spirit was there... :D ...I bought the Ergon ST Core Prime Men saddle. I trust Ergon; their handlebar grips are excellent. The saddle is for my Vado when it arrives back from the LBS. I've just sat on it. Pleasantly soft, supporting my behind properly. We'll see on the first longer ride though. I own more saddles than pedals now 🤣

View attachment 51913
@Stefan Mikes did you try Ergon on long ride? What is your evaluation if you did. I wonder if the softness you feel for the first 10 miles or so turns into solid rock in longer rides?
Mine feels very good so far on short ride with no bib.

I'll be interested in how you like the new seat. I've built up enough tough on my arse the B17 is hard to beat. Went down to try a wide padded composite seat and found there was more heat and it didn't let me legs drop over the front of the seat as well. Didn't feel my sit bones though:). Would like to try the seat they use on the Como, the 'Cup'.

I just noticed also Specialized dropped the price on the V5.0 also. So 650 miles cost me $800. Don't think that is too much of a bargain except maybe for the next guy.
@Marcela the Specialized BG Comfort Gel saddle arrived Yesterday. It is too bulky for my Vado. Might be a good choice for Como with more upright riding position.
For me didn’t work and is going back.

@Stefan Mikes did you try Ergon on long ride? What is your evaluation if you did. I wonder if the softness you feel for the first 10 miles or so turns into solid rock in longer rides?
Mine feels very good so far on short ride with no bib.
Yes, Nas, it was the metric century, or 62.3 mile ride. The longer I rode the more I was forgetting the saddle existed there! As I say "The Holy Grail Has Been Found" :) Bear in mind I also use the Kinekt 2.1 seat-post that also adds to the ride comfort. By comparison, the Selle Royal eZone used on my full-suspension e-bike felt quite hard on a 70 km ride.

P.S. I always wear chamois but I don't think it really mattered there.

Yes, Nas, it was the metric century, or 62.3 mile ride. The longer I rode the more I was forgetting the saddle existed there! As I say "The Holy Grail Has Been Found" :) Bear in mind I also use the Kinekt 2.1 seat-post that also adds to the ride comfort. By comparison, the Selle Royal eZone used on my full-suspension e-bike felt quite hard on a 70 km ride.

P.S. I always wear chamois but I don't think it really mattered there.
I also use Kinekt 2.1 with the Ergon Saddle.
Nice to know that the ride stays smooth.

I'm following this closely. My Trek Crossrip Plus came with a Bontrager Montrose Comp saddle. At the twenty plus mile mark, my left sitbone would begin to hurt and, in turn,
My left lower back would get stiff. I liked the shape of the seat and it was really good with respect to numbness. Height and angle adjustments helped, but I think it's just that the Montrose Comp
just doesn't have enough padding for me. I switched to a Specialized saddle with lots of padding and a deep cutout. It's over 30 years old, so the foam's probably not the greatest. It's definitely better, though I'd say
my left sit bone doesn't hurt though it now gets a little numb instead.

I realize that we're all different and every bike model is going to be different, but it strikes me that there's got to be a better more efficient way to match rider to saddle.

Yeah I also didn't like my Ergon. For my bike I like the Selle Royal Respiro moderate better, but I'm still looking for more comfort on longer rides (I have the Kinekt, also).
I tried Ergon on a longer ride (25 miles). It is soft and comfortable. Like you not sure if it the comfort matches the price.
I also use Kinekt so the ride is smooth anyway.
I think Ergon is going back.

I got my 2017 Vado with the Specialized Canopy Comp saddle (discontinued now, I guess). That saddle was not hopeless but I found the Ergon more comfortable for the Vado. On last Thursday, I replaced the saddle in my Giant Trance E+ e-MTB with the Canopy Comp. Surprise! It is now so easy to get off the bike! It fits my bum like a glove fits the hand!

The lesson learned: A saddle that might be poor for one cycling application might be perfect for another riding style. (I lean forward on the e-MTB while I take more relaxed position on the commuter e-bike)

1591323331239.png

I got my 2017 Vado with the Specialized Canopy Comp saddle (discontinued now, I guess). That saddle was not hopeless but I found the Ergon more comfortable for the Vado. On last Thursday, I replaced the saddle in my Giant Trance E+ e-MTB with the Canopy Comp. Surprise! It is now so easy to get off the bike! It fits my bum like a glove fits the hand!

The lesson learned: A saddle that might be poor for one cycling application might be perfect for another riding style. (I lean forward on the e-MTB while I take more relaxed position on the commuter e-bike)

View attachment 54458
I tried the Ergon with chamois and couldn’t really feel the difference compared to Canopy Comp.
I returned the Ergon and today I tried Canopy Comp without chamois. I thought it was going to be a short ride. But thanks to Vado I kept going (energizer bunny). The ride was short of 25 miles. I did feel all the bumps specially last few miles...now I am not sure if I made a right decision to return the Ergon. Oh well...might order again...or make sure not to ride without chamois very long.
I will always keep my Kinekt 2.

Back