Saddle

I've tried way too many saddles. Nothing has proven more comfortable over time than my Selle Anatomica H2View attachment 50111

I am thinking of trying one of their saddles. I am roughly 190 pounds fully clothed but once I start cycling more I should drop 5-10 pounds. Would you go with the H2 or X2? X2 is for up to 190 pounds. H2 is for 190+.

Edit: NVM, decided to go with the R2.

Last edited:
Would anyone have an opinion as to whether the Selle H2 would be suitable for the more upright position on the Como? I find the stock saddle to be uncomfortable on longer rides and my boys are sometimes hurting. I do try to ride a bit more aggressively and tend to lean forward a bit more than upright. I chatted with Selle online and asked the question and they said it would be fine, but they're also in the biz of selling saddles.

Has anyone tried the Selle Royal eZone? The saddle looks very comfortable. My sit-bones are 13 cm apart.

1587544690946.png

Selle Royal eZone,

Or, the first saddle designed with the e-bike in mind? It is improbably soft. Mounting it on my Vado with the hope I could finally make a metric century on that specific e-bike. The Specialized Canopy I have used is targeted at riding in the Forward position, while I ride in the Moderate one. 91 km on the old saddle meant my derriere suffered :D At the same time, I was able to make metric centuries on an e-bike equipped with the Selle Royal Respiro Moderate Women.

1587721166136.png

1587722850005.png

Last edited:
Waiting for a ride review. Seems interesting anyway. I looked at it on their website and some of the features seem a bit of a gimmick. Mainly, are our bikes really powerful enough that we're in danger of sliding off the back of the seat? :rolleyes: Now I did do that once on a motorcycle, but that's another story...

Waiting for a ride review. ... Mainly, are our bikes really powerful enough that we're in danger of sliding off the back of the seat? :rolleyes: Now I did do that once on a motorcycle, but that's another story...

So you tried riding like Robbie Maddison?

At least he proved that you don't need ski for the jump :eek:👍 in Willingen.

Mine was super-embarrassing. It was on my Husqvarna WR250 dirt bike. I cleaned it up and used Armor-All on the saddle, then got on it wearing leather riding pants. Whoa -- that stuff is slick!! Didn't dump the bike, but ended up laying flat on the seat, holding onto the bars.

Some years ago I did some work for Alan Sputhe, a retired racer, mechanical engineer and owner of Sputhe Engineering. They designed and built high performance engines and transmissions for Harley bikes, up to 140hp at the time. Alan gave my oldest son a tour of this machine shop where they had a custom bike ready for shipment. My son wanted to know why the saddle was so funny looking and why the rider laid down on the tank. Straight faced Alan said matter of factly, "well, son, at over 100mph you'd get pushed off the bike without the funny saddle and if you sit up you get blown off the bike". He went on with his tour, but my son looking back at the gleaming machine with the odd saddle.

Waiting for a ride review. Seems interesting anyway. I looked at it on their website and some of the features seem a bit of a gimmick. Mainly, are our bikes really powerful enough that we're in danger of sliding off the back of the seat? :rolleyes: Now I did do that once on a motorcycle, but that's another story...
Could be, could be. The first thing I noticed while saddle-fitting was I needed an immense offset of the saddle backwards. Secondly, the saddle (when seated) didn't feel as soft as I thought. The shortened nose feels too short. I'm riding a metric century tomorrow. If the saddle disappoints me, I might take a train back. Still, I have great hopes.

Regarding the motorcycles: I've never been a fan of them. Sorry.

P.S. Regarding the saddles, the best I own is the Selle Royal Respiro Moderated Women. However, that's a huge saddle and it wouldn't look good on the Vado 😊

1587741200941.png

P.S. Regarding the saddles, the best I own is the Selle Royal Respiro Moderated Women. However, that's a huge saddle and it wouldn't look good on the Vado 😊
I'm thinking about the Respiro Men's Moderate. I have the Respiro Athletic on my road bike and like it a lot, but the Vado is a more upright position. My wife has the Women's Moderate on her bike and it is wide, but I think the Men's is narrower.

That saddle looks to be for a road bike. This type of saddle is usually not well suited for a more upright riding position of your Vado 5.0.
I recently took my Fabric saddle off my carbon road bike to try on my Pedego Ridgerider ebike, which has an upright riding position. I love this saddle on my road bike, but found it very uncomfortable on my RidgeRidger.
Personally I prefer a much wider, more comfortable saddle on a commuter style ebike.
I never realized that saddles needed to be matched to riding position. It's honestly something I had never thought about before. I'll keep this in mind for the future.

I never realized that saddles needed to be matched to riding position. It's honestly something I had never thought about before. I'll keep this in mind for the future.
Yes, the more upright you are, the more weight is on your seat and also you are sitting on a slightly different area of your anatomy.

That's why Selle Royal make saddles in Athletic, Moderate and Relaxed styles.

I have a Fabric seat on my Defy road bike and love it. With most of the saddles I've owned I have butt-ache by the 50km mark, but with the Fabric I can do a 75km ride with very little pain.
Since I like the saddle so much I figured I'd give it a try on my Pedego RidgeRider ebike, that has an upright riding position.
I hated it.
With padded bike shorts after riding for 30km my butt was done.
The Fabric is back on my Defy, where it will stay.

Could be, could be. The first thing I noticed while saddle-fitting was I needed an immense offset of the saddle backwards. Secondly, the saddle (when seated) didn't feel as soft as I thought. The shortened nose feels too short. I'm riding a metric century tomorrow. If the saddle disappoints me, I might take a train back. Still, I have great hopes.

Regarding the motorcycles: I've never been a fan of them. Sorry.

View attachment 50682
The black battery cover and gray bike create a very nice contrast. It goes well with the rest of the bike.

Actually, the saddle I'd like to try is the Selle Royal Lookin 3D in Men's Moderate (https://www.selleroyal.com/en/new-lookin-3d-moderate-man). However, I think it's a new model and doesn't seem to be carried by anyone in the U.S., and I certainly wouldn't buy a saddle if it's not reasonably easy to return. The older version is available here, but it's quite a bit different from the newer version.

Jimbo, I'm a big fan of Selle SMP and WTB saddles. In fact I have a Selle SMP Stratos on my Cervelo and a WTB Volt on my Rocky Mountain. Competitive Cyclist has a sale on and I just ordered a Selle SMP Blaster and two WTB Volt. I'll use the Blaster on my Creo and the Volt's are for my son's MTB.

I've tried way too many saddles. Nothing has proven more comfortable over time than my Selle Anatomica H2View attachment 50111
Hi Alaskan
When you get a minute, could you please confirm what the overall width is across the back of the saddle
From the SA website I can see it is 290mm long, but I can’t see where it states the width

Back