Riese & Müller Tinker vs Tern HSD S+

Abeydoun

I am in the market for a high-quality, premium electric bike, and I have basically narrowed it down to either Tern HSD S+ or the R&M Tinker. I live in a small apartment and need something compact. I currently own the Tern Vektron S10 and just can't get comfortable on it for more than a 15 mile ride. I need a suspension fork and more powerful motor. Thanks for your thoughts.

This is not a compact ebike, but definitely premium with top-end components. You may want to check it out. Message @pushkar if you have specific questions. He's the owner of Wattwagons and active member of this forum.

I am in the market for a high-quality, premium electric bike, and I have basically narrowed it down to either Tern HSD S+ or the R&M Tinker. I live in a small apartment and need something compact. I currently own the Tern Vektron S10 and just can't get comfortable on it for more than a 15 mile ride. I need a suspension fork and more powerful motor. Thanks for your thoughts.
It comes down to this, I think: the extra carrying capacity favors the HSD, but if you want a HS motor, the Tinker is the only option. I’m assuming you want the Envolio/belt in both cases, but if not, again, the Tinker.

i own an R&M and a Tern and have ridden both in NYC. If a feature doesn’t make the cut for you, the riding experience might. What about in your apartment? Do you want to stand the bike on its end? That’s another Tern feature. I’m guessing they probably weigh about the same, so that’s a draw.

Service/support: edge to the Tern. I’ve had both Tern and the dealer (Propel) answer questions. I‘ve done most of my own maintenance. I feel a bit more independent with the Tern, if that makes any sense. An uncomplicated R&M configuration would probably minimize this difference. In both cases, Tern/R&M, I would recommend Propel to you.

As you probably know, Tern usually has fun accessories to check out.

I think both still use the Gen2 motor. That might change for 2021.

Last edited:
I have been looking at both of these bikes for a while. I like the idea of the S+ drive system but cannot quite wrap my head around the exact way it works or feels. I am not interested in going more than 20 mph, so no issues there. How does the bike know how much assist to give starting off, or at any point (for that matter)? I have lots of small hills where I ride and I am "Triple O" (Older, Overweight and Out of shape).

Thank you all for the replies. It needs to be compact (20inch) with a similar wheel base as the Vektron to work in my space. I am mostly concerned about ride quality, I want something that rides comfortably and feels premium. My Vektron with Kinekt 2.1 isn’t the most comfortable for longer rides. I’m fairly confident the HSD and Tinker are bettter bikes to ride, but want to see if anyone can comment on this aspect because I view the cargo abilities of both bikes to be about equal in my case (The rear rack is plenty). Thanks!

Thank you all for the replies. It needs to be compact (20inch) with a similar wheel base as the Vektron to work in my space. I am mostly concerned about ride quality, I want something that rides comfortably and feels premium. My Vektron with Kinekt 2.1 isn’t the most comfortable for longer rides. I’m fairly confident the HSD and Tinker are bettter bikes to ride, but want to see if anyone can comment on this aspect because I view the cargo abilities of both bikes to be about equal in my case (The rear rack is plenty). Thanks!
Interesting. I have taken my Vektron on long rides — up to 75 miles, although usually < 25 miles. It took me a long time fiddling with the Andros stem to get it in a position that did not fatigue me, but I’m fairly happy with it now. My opinion is that the tires (Big Apple, or in my case, Big Ben Plus) give the most suspension effect, not which suspension post I use. I’m not bothered by the lack of front suspension. Rather, it’s the “one-size fits all” nature of the Vektron that initially produced a riding position that caused fatigue during a longer ride. The Riese and Millers I have owned (Charger and Nevo) are sized models with a fairly upright riding position, especially the Nevo. I believe the Tinker is “one size fits all” so it’s coming down to which bike can you adjust to give you maximum comfort Based on geometry+ stem/handlebar + seatpost adjustment?

i think you definitely need to ride both. If that’s hard right now, Leandro, specifically, at Propel owned a Tinker so he probably has some insight on adjustability between the two models.

Recently acquired a tinker vario from @Chris Nolte at propel with a kineckt post. I've managed to take it on a few longer rides in the 35-40 mile range around the city and have been impressed with its comfort and ride feel. The adjustable stem is nice depending on ride conditions and to change things up. How long are your intended ride lengths and how often do you ride those lengths? As Helix mentioned, they are very similar and a visit to propel for a test ride and fitting once things calm down would be ideal. Does the S+ have the new automatic shifter?

Recently acquired a tinker vario from @Chris Nolte at propel with a kineckt post. I've managed to take it on a few longer rides in the 35-40 mile range around the city and have been impressed with its comfort and ride feel. The adjustable stem is nice depending on ride conditions and to change things up. How long are your intended ride lengths and how often do you ride those lengths? As Helix mentioned, they are very similar and a visit to propel for a test ride and fitting once things calm down would be ideal. Does the S+ have the new automatic shifter?

I would probably do a 30 mile ride about 2-3 times a week. The S+ does have the automatic shifter, however the Tinker does have the HS option. Will definitely take a trip to Propel when things normalize.

I would probably do a 30 mile ride about 2-3 times a week. The S+ does have the automatic shifter, however the Tinker does have the HS option. Will definitely take a trip to Propel when things normalize.

That should be fine. I've found the kineckt to be well worth it but the thudbuster should be good as well. The only thing I've found myself wishing at the end of the longer rides are bar grips for some additional positions. Nothing but great things to say about the folks at propel.

Can you identify what gets uncomfortable about riding the Tern Vektron S10? Also, do you have a Gen1 or Gen2 Vektron?
We have the Tern HSD 8i and find that it has a relaxed, stable upright ride that is similar to the Vektron Gen2, but you are right, the suspension fork on the HSD does add relief from road buzz.
I rode an R&M Tinker, a couple of years ago and loved it. It rides like an excitable BMX and the Bosch CX drive unit produces a surfeit of torque for a bike of the Tinker’s size.

Can you identify what gets uncomfortable about riding the Tern Vektron S10? Also, do you have a Gen1 or Gen2 Vektron?
We have the Tern HSD 8i and find that it has a relaxed, stable upright ride that is similar to the Vektron Gen2, but you are right, the suspension fork on the HSD does add relief from road buzz.
I rode an R&M Tinker, a couple of years ago and loved it. It rides like an excitable BMX and the Bosch CX drive unit produces a surfeit of torque for a bike of the Tinker’s size.
Thanks for your reply. I have the Gen 1 Vektron and I find that the cockpit is not long enough (saddle rails are maxed out for length) and that the andros stem isn’t long enough to ride comfortably like an upright bike, yet it doesn’t feel long enough to ride more aero like a road bike. I am 6’0”. Any suggestions on adjusting this?
Also nice to know about the Tinker, I love BMX bikes.

Thanks for your reply. I have the Gen 1 Vektron and I find that the cockpit is not long enough (saddle rails are maxed out for length) and that the andros stem isn’t long enough to ride comfortably like an upright bike, yet it doesn’t feel long enough to ride more aero like a road bike. I am 6’0”. Any suggestions on adjusting this?
Also nice to know about the Tinker, I love BMX bikes.
Hello,
The Gen1 Vektron does feel a little cramped, which i guess is why they tweaked the geometry on the Gen2; stretching out the cockpit with a more laid back seat post. Similar to the R&M Tinker, the taller rider will typically raise the seat height and you automagically get more reach.
I am also 6’0” and didn’t like the stock Gen1 position, but the Gen2 works for me.
you can tweak the Vektron Gen1 by adding the telescopic seatpost and/or exchanging the Physis T-bar handlebar post. Take a look at the Parts section o the Tern website.

I found this thread a couple of months ago, when I had narrowed my choices for a new e-bike down to the exact same two: Tern HSD and R&M's Tinker. I ended up purchasing the Tinker.

I also was considering the latest version of the Vektron, but the manager of Propel talked me out of it because of its lack of suspension, which I think is necessary where I live.

I ultimately didn't buy the HSD for one very shallow reason: OMG, it's the ugliest bike ever. Hahahahahaha. I know this is subjective, but the more I looked at it, the uglier it got. I do not feel this way about any other Tern bike, but something about the HSD is very very lacking in the aesthetics department.

The Tinker is also the best e-bike I have ever ridden -- bar none. It truly does ride like a full-sized bike and it is nimble and fun. I upgraded the seatpost to a Kinekt, because I am in my 40's and have back issues. I love the seatpost, but honestly the standard seat and post that come on the Tinker (my seat post was received separately because it was out of stock, so I rode with the original configuration for two weeks) is actually fantastic. I think the Tinker's seat is the most comfortable bike seat I have ever had. I am 6'1" and weigh about 160, and the bike is the perfect size for me.

I can't believe I spent that much on a tiny bike, but I do think it's an incredible bike. I had a Kalkhoff full-sized bike prior to the Tinker, and loved it, too -- but the Tinker is way more fun to ride. The CVT is amazing. I live in a very hilly mountain town, and the Tinker is up for the job.

This is my long-winded way of asking: which bike did you choose?

Took delivery 2 days ago :)
F4D11B52-A636-4599-AAD0-F1D595F6D880.jpeg

Did you sell/give your Vektron to a friend? I was riding up the Hudson greenway on my orange Tinker a few weeks back and bumped into someone with a Vektron who said they just got it and their friend was getting a Tinker. Small world? Congrats on the new bike

Did you sell/give your Vektron to a friend? I was riding up the Hudson greenway on my orange Tinker a few weeks back and bumped into someone with a Vektron who said they just got it and their friend was getting a Tinker. Small world? Congrats on the new bike
Haha wow that was actually my brother!! I sold him my Vektron. He told me that he saw the bike I was getting on the greenway and that you guys chatted for a few mins. I’ve seen you before a couple of times, Tinker with panniers. Small world. I’ll be sure to say hi next time, should be easy to spot on my orange Tinker as well! Thank you I got it just in time for summer :)

Very nice and great choice, I am currently looking at the HS version because of the reduction gear on the vario which would create resistance at higher speed. Have you experienced this or is it fine?

In addition, do you guys know if r&m are planning to update the Tinker in September with the gen 3/4 motors? Thanks for your input

Back