While I normally don't like to ride at night ... at all ... I ended up needing to go about a mile and half after dark yesterday. I put on my little blinky lights and set out. I was really surprised by how well the blinking lights on the 1M worked! They annoy the crap out of me during the day (you can turn them off but it's a multi-step process) but they actually made me much more visible at night, especially from the side. And going faster meant I was a moving target for a few less seconds.

@ 1.2-1.5k is Way too expensive . A good ebike starts at 2grand.
How does 1motor perform in heavy rain or a snow blizzard ?
An ebike with studded tires goes like it’s on rails through a deep North Eastern snow😉

An ebike with studded tires goes like it’s on rails through a deep North Eastern snow😉
In the rain? Super. Mate, I rode it in the Alps, solid rain, moderate wind, mild slopes ,max 5%, it just cuts the rain depth on the tar surface like a plough in the farmer's field, dives through the pools, till the battery got exhausted .. provided proper rain suit, more pleasant ride than in sunshine

The thing is that the 1M works on multiple bikes. I've got two, many people subscribe to the N+1 so they have more than that. Even an inexpensive hub system will easily cost that much for two bikes. Yes, it is pricey if you have one bike, unless it's a super light road bike and you want a super light system for it. It's not the solution for everyone - but it's ideal if you have multiple bikes or want an extremely light system or want a system easily protected from theft. It takes me 10 seconds to swap everything from bike A to bike B, so I can ride my light fast bike faster or I can pull my trailer without killing myself. If I only had one bike, I would have considered other options. But there's no way I would buy a dedicated e-bike that weighs 40 or 50 lbs.

Wonderful! Are they also working to improve the price?
Your price query is understandible but please consider the quality and features. If you take an example, eg the comparably simple device Garmin Edge 1000 costs in Europe about $650, this is as much as half the price of OneMotor, can you believe? Doesn't it look to you that OM is reasonably inexpensive, rather low priced system. Well, it does look to me, though that wasn't the reason I bought it but rather its exceptionality
Judge for yourself, I'd say.

Common sense says: Wait to buy a OneMotor until after there are unbiased, third-party reviews of the product. Paid-for reviews do not count. Reviews by friends, relatives, and associates do not count.

Common sense says: Wait to buy a OneMotor until after there are unbiased, third-party reviews of the product. Paid-for reviews do not count. Reviews by friends, relatives, and associates do not count.
Agreed with your definition of the accountability of the reviewing .

There are reviews from 4 different owners on this website. OM isn't a big enough brand to be reviewed by bike magazines or the major websites. Court charges to review devices on EBR.

There are reviews from 4 different owners on this website. OM isn't a big enough brand to be reviewed by bike magazines or the major websites. Court charges to review devices on EBR.

But how about some owners post some YouTube videos/reviews? I'd love to see the process of putting the motor on the mount, and especially removing the motor and battery for taking into you home or office or grocery store or post office.... I want to see just how practical it is to use the Onemotor for real-life bike errands and commuting. It sounds like it performs well for recreational riding and commuting, but I sure want to SEE the practicality of it in actual use as a removable device.

But how about some owners post some YouTube videos/reviews? I'd love to see the process of putting the motor on the mount, and especially removing the motor and battery for taking into you home or office or grocery store or post office.... I want to see just how practical it is to use the Onemotor for real-life bike errands and commuting. It sounds like it performs well for recreational riding and commuting, but I sure want to SEE the practicality of it in actual use as a removable device.
Well, first of all, no one owes potential users any videos or anything else, right? It takes time to do what you are asking and there's no benefit to the owner by doing it. That said, if I can find a way to prop up my phone I'll see what I can do about filming what you would like to see. Keep in mind that most e-bike users tend to be older, so you won't automatically get the social media video stuff. Once I post the video (can I even post long videos here?) I'm sure it will just be a matter of time before someone bitches about what I did or didn't film. Like I said, no benefit to an existing owner. But I'll see what I can do for you......cuz you're nice.

It's not much about it, of course it depends on the bike. At the moment I've got it on the Giant Revel on the rear wheel.
To take it off the bike takes me longer than putting it on. To unplug the cable i have to bend down, have a proper grip on the plug due to the higher magnet force, takes me about 1/4 to 1/2 minute as I've got thick fingers. Retracting the cable a few of seconds. Taking off the battery is faster, though one must be careful not to overpress the TopPeak latch as I've got feeling it could break, so rather move the battery using its handle. That may take a few of 10 sec at most.. unclipping of the motor and clipping in onto the battery takes me less than 10s.
On my Brompton this procedure is somewhat longer due to the cable threading, but certainly not longer than 1/2 minute.
So all together is not worthwhile of worrying about.

@dermbrian
Hope this helps. I keep my battery in a bag which just clips on the seat post, but the OM comes with a topeak bracket for the battery and on/off is less than 10 seconds. I use the bag because it works better on my bike friday pakit which I fold often (the handlebars go over the top of the frame so if I use the bracket I have to remove the battery to fold), and I don't see any reason to change it for the Dahon. Since I use a bag, I don't clip the motor to the battery to carry it around - I just drop both parts inside my Patagonia atom sling bag; I don't even retract the battery cable which means it is at the perfect length when I reinstall. However, when I first got OM and did use the bracket and clipping parts together, it was very quick (once I remembered which side was "up" to snap them together). Ten seconds for motor on or off; Ten seconds for battery on or off; 5-10 seconds to route the battery cable or to snap the two parts together to carry. Maximum 30 seconds. Remove the handlebar controller along with your lights. You might be able to remove it with one hand if you have bigger guy-sized hands, my hands are too small.

Last edited:
@dermbrian
Hope this helps. I keep my battery in a bag which just clips on the seat post, but the OM comes with a topeak bracket for the battery and on/off is less than 10 seconds. I use the bag because it works better on my bike friday pakit which I fold often (the handlebars go over the top of the frame so if I use the bracket I have to remove the battery to fold), and I don't see any reason to change it for the Dahon. Since I use a bag, I don't clip the motor to the battery to carry it around - I just drop both parts inside my Patagonia atom sling bag; I don't even retract the battery cable which means it is at the perfect length when I reinstall. However, when I first got OM and did use the bracket and clipping parts together, it was very quick (once I remembered which side was "up" to snap them together). Ten seconds for motor on or off; Ten seconds for battery on or off; 5-10 seconds to route the battery cable or to snap the two parts together to carry. Maximum 30 seconds. Remove the handlebar controller along with your lights. You might be able to remove it with one hand if you have bigger guy-sized hands, my hands are too small.

Hey Lin, that's very enlightening. Thanks for taking the time to show how easy it is to remove and install the motor onto the mount. I'm pretty sure that I will be buying one when the time is right. The leaking water heater is taking priority right now. I do still have a little issue when I contemplate just how many bike rides it takes to get the cost-per-use down to something reasonable. Even buying at $1,200 and riding your bike 1,200 times still equals $1 per ride (plus the minor cost of electricity). I honestly can't imagine how many years it would take me to ride my bike 1,200 times....

But I do spend money on things that are fun and interest me, and the OneMotor is definitely something I might spend my hobby $$$ on to give me a more eco-friendly way to get to work and the grocery store.

Brian

It's not much about it, of course it depends on the bike. At the moment I've got it on the Giant Revel on the rear wheel.
To take it off the bike takes me longer than putting it on. To unplug the cable i have to bend down, have a proper grip on the plug due to the higher magnet force, takes me about 1/4 to 1/2 minute as I've got thick fingers. Retracting the cable a few of seconds. Taking off the battery is faster, though one must be careful not to overpress the TopPeak latch as I've got feeling it could break, so rather move the battery using its handle. That may take a few of 10 sec at most.. unclipping of the motor and clipping in onto the battery takes me less than 10s.
On my Brompton this procedure is somewhat longer due to the cable threading, but certainly not longer than 1/2 minute.
So all together is not worthwhile of worrying about.

In other words it is a major hassle for a normal person to take it off /put it back on.

It takes 1- 3 seconds to start an ebike and many ebikes now are 1-1.5k.

In other words it is a major hassle for a normal person to take it off /put it back on.

But Ebiker01, it already takes me more than that amount of time to lock up my bike with a U-lock and a cable. And I very much believe that a locked up $1000-1500 e-bike is a more tempting target to a thief than a $200 bike with a removable $1200 power plant. I may be wrong, but I sure would rather lose the bike and keep the 'e' portion safe, carried in with me to inside the place that I've ridden to.

First, the removed OM is safe from theft or vandalism. Second, you can use it on multiple bikes (I do). You can even take it on vacation
and use it on a friend's bike or a rental. It is also airline approved. You can't do any of that with a dedicated e-bike. Also, it only adds 4.5-6.5lbs to your existing bike -- making my E-BIKE 23.5 lbs. Those dedicated e-bikes you're talking about are 40 lbs typically or more. It isn't for everyone, but for some folks it is the perfect solution. I rarely lock my bike up but when I do, I don't want to be locking a $1500 e bike on the street. It's also easy and discreet enough to be able to charge in a coffee shop if you want. I don't find it any more hassle than removing bike lights and pannier bags, or running a ulock and cable through the wheels, even less so. But if you think it's a hassle, there are lots of regular e-bikes out there.

Last edited:
Hey Lin, that's very enlightening. Thanks for taking the time to show how easy it is to remove and install the motor onto the mount. I'm pretty sure that I will be buying one when the time is right. The leaking water heater is taking priority right now. I do still have a little issue when I contemplate just how many bike rides it takes to get the cost-per-use down to something reasonable. Even buying at $1,200 and riding your bike 1,200 times still equals $1 per ride (plus the minor cost of electricity). I honestly can't imagine how many years it would take me to ride my bike 1,200 times....

But I do spend money on things that are fun and interest me, and the OneMotor is definitely something I might spend my hobby $$$ on to give me a more eco-friendly way to get to work and the grocery store.

Brian

I know OM has worked out some kind of financing deal, don't know the details though. With 2 bikes the cost seems extremely reasonable. I also like that if I get a new bike in the future it can be transferred over, I won't need to get a new kit. If you ride to work and to shop, then what you should calculate is the cost-savings from car gas, maintenance, wear and tear, and parking (if any). That's the true savings to offset against the cost.

Wov, I scared you with my sore back, inflexible fIngers ... what I described it's not any hassle to me, far from a major hassle. If you organise your actions (as Lin apparently did) you may easy achieve your put-on/take-off time to be below 1 minute.
As mentioned, I've got it on my 2 bikes, soon getting the mount (front mount, no bending my back 😁) for my Trek too. Well, that will be about enough for the time being.
The travelling advantages Lin mentioned are great, I'm right now on another continent with my OM, getting through the airport check-in counter surprised me, it's even simpler than carrying a radio set, even pleasant by hearing complimentary remarks about the little OM.
Conventional ebike is certainly a very useful and great product. I've got 2 next-door neighbours couples, not young any more, 3 of them with hip replacements, all 4 with ebikes. They looked into my setup because of the weight issue, but I didn't advise them to replace their "mopeds " with OM. I think OM is for more active people, physicality and spiritually, than for, even partially handicapped persons.

On YouTube.com, Court from EBR posts a video on 9/25/2018. The title is:
I Get Paid for Reviews... Here's How it Works #TruthInAdvertising

On BikeForums.net, linberl 08-05-19, 11:56 AM wrote:
"Excited to hear that 1M is going to be getting a unit off to EBR for a review in the next several weeks."

On EBR forums, Lin B wrote on 9/12/2019:
"EBR (Court) now charges suppliers for reviews. 1M is reinvesting every dime into product improvement (they just bought and installed a new high-end 3d printer). Supplying units to less popular review sites probably isn't going to generate enough to compensate for a lost sale. At some point, they will likely have Court review (he reviewed the Shareroller initially, but his reviews were free at that point, I believe)."

On EBR forums, Lin B wrote on 9/28/2019:
"OM isn't a big enough brand to be reviewed by bike magazines or the major websites. Court charges to review devices on EBR."

Question #1: Lin B, why were you excited to hear that 1M was getting a unit off to EBR for a review? You and/or 1M knew that Court charged for reviews; he had already said so on YouTube. Even knowing that Court charged, you still expected a review, so 1M was going to pay on 8/5/2019 but not on 9/12/2019 when you act surprised by the idea that Court charges.

Question #2: Is this an idea you heard from 1M: "Supplying units to less popular review sites probably isn't going to generate enough to compensate for a lost sale."?

Follow-up Questions to #2: Why would that be a "lost sale"? You mean they can't sell that one unit they sent out for review so THAT is why they can't send out units? They can't sell the videos they spent so much time and money making either--are those videos "lost sales," too? Are all the marketing materials "lost sales"? You do know that the cost of producing the units is a fraction of the retail price, so the cost of sending out a unit for review is an appealing marketing tool that quite a few (nearly all?) companies use quite successfully. Those companies do not put those units in the category of "lost sales"; those are marketing costs. Even Five Guys, the burger place, that famously "doesn't advertise" spends heavily to market their product by "word of mouth." How? One part of the strategy is that they get glowing reviews from 3rd-party, independent reviewers; Five Guys then shows off all those great reviews.

First, the removed OM is safe from theft or vandalism. Second, you can use it on multiple bikes (I do). You can even take it on vacation
and use it on a friend's bike or a rental. It is also airline approved. You can't do any of that with a dedicated e-bike. Also, it only adds 4.5-6.5lbs to your existing bike -- making my E-BIKE 23.5 lbs. Those dedicated e-bikes you're talking about are 40 lbs typically or more. It isn't for everyone, but for some folks it is the perfect solution. I rarely lock my bike up but when I do, I don't want to be locking a $1500 e bike on the street. It's also easy and discreet enough to be able to charge in a coffee shop if you want. I don't find it any more hassle than removing bike lights and pannier bags, or running a ulock and cable through the wheels, even less so. But if you think it's a hassle, there are lots of regular e-bikes out there.

On an ebike The battery can be easily removed (3seconds) and the display.
Those are the main components for someone to tamper with.
The motor is well secured in the wheel assuming wheel is locked just like your regular bike. Nobody is gonna tamper with some rear hub motor as they are all the same. If it’s mid drive that is even safer.

Back