So Iearned something new. The OM has different modes for different regions, I knew that, but what I did not realize is that one can easily change their region to effect a change in the motor wattage. The US zone is 750w, the Ca zone (Canada?) is 500w, and the EU is 250w. So I rode today and easily changed them on-the-fly with the controller. Dropping to the Ca zone doesn't seem to make a lot of difference to me in terms of spinning out but using the EU/250w setting made in possible for me to pedal at a good cadence in my 6th gear and not top out. Now I realize most folks want more power, not less, lol, but when I'm on an exercise ride I'll now set it at EU while I put it at US for my errand riding where time is an issue. I haven't figured out if the EU mode will give me more range as I'm using less power while contributing a bit more, but I'll test in out as next week looks to be a nice dry stretch here. I also realized if you were using OM in Europe at the maximum wattage, you could easily drop to EU in less than 2 seconds with one flick of the controller if the gendarmes stopped you, lol.

Another lesson learned...my "eyeball" estimate of a straight mount is not nearly accurate, lol. I was wondering about the increased tire dust on my BF compared to my Dahon. Now the Dahon has the kickstand mount and it is not possible to mount this incorrectly, it's idiot proof, which makes it perfect for me! The BF mount, otoh, has a number of moveable adjustable parts. I thought I had it on properly but I'd read an angled mount can increase tire wear, so I actually used a caliper to measure. So - I reinstalled the mount and did it very carefully and accurately. Now, the pedal no longer taps the battery cable connector when I pedal, there's plenty of room...and at least on the last 2 rides, there was minimal tire dust. I can also see a much more even surface on the actual tire. Whether this was the entire problem remains to be seen and determined over more miles, but it has definitely impressed upon me the importance of getting the tire absolutely perpendicular to the roller belt.

Well, now that I've got the mount perfectly straight, it's a big improvement. Just a quick update to say I'm still using my OM, but it's winter and so rides are shorter and more analog for exercise right now. I do still use the OM for my twice a month Costco runs, and the rare long ride if we get a really nice day. Can't wait for Spring, though. For iPhone users, here's a little issue I ran into. Simblee (which was the app on iPhone that allowed the OM controller app to run) is no more....the developer has dropped it from the app store. It's not an issue as long as you do not restore or wipe and set up a new phone. If you do that, you will be unable to reinstall the simblee app. I had some battery issues on my phone unrelated to OM and had to set up as new, and now I'm unable to use the phone app. While i can install unsigned apps, I cannot change the provisioning on the ipa file to my account thus it won't work. I know OM is looking at other options for iPhone users; Android users are apparently not having this issue at this time. Fortunately you can do just about everything with the handlebar controller so that's what I'm doing. Redundancy is good =). I'd love to see Jeff create an iPhone specific app, though. I'm sure it's on his gigantic list of to-dos. If you have an iPhone, consider making a backup to your computer (not iCloud) and then go into your `library/application support/mobile backup file and make sure you have a copy of the simblee .ipa file. If you do that, since it will be provisioned to your device, you will be able to restore it. Unfortunately, I only had iCloud backups and you cannot recover ipa files that way.

Great weather lately. My most recent ride up the Bay Bridge. Still getting excellent range off the battery. 17.6 miles with 34% remaining, all on PAS1, including the Bridge climb.

Attachments

• IMG_0061.jpeg
    IMG_0061.jpeg
    67.2 KB · Views: 535
  • IMG_0062.jpeg
    IMG_0062.jpeg
    67.3 KB · Views: 531
Really appreciating my OM right now. It's allowing me to get out and run my errands without being on public transit or renting a car share, both of which have some added risk for seniors like me. And having my Burley Travoy to use at the grocery instead of having to use a store cart or basket is good as well. Be safe and healthy.

Doesn't matter if you're not a backer, I'm not either and got my OM and all the help I need from Grace. Yes, kickstand is the easiest and the simplest motor installation, 1 bolt - that's all. Then 2 screws for battery plate onto water bottle studs if you got it, else a velcro holder around the tube they supply you. Can't be simpler, really.
Miro, I also live in the EU (Sweden), and I'm interested in your experience of the import. Some 15 years ago I bought my first e-assist, an Ecospeed mid-drive, directly from the US. I had to pay a grotesque amount of extra fees for special air-freight of the battery, customs and tax. Are both of the 1M batteries small enough to be exempt from this special air-freight packaging? You mentioned flying with yours. You said you had to wait a long time for delivery, how long in total from ordering was this? I'm not a backer either. What about customs and tax?

Are you concerned about servicing? I burned the controller twice on my Ecospeed, and shipping to and from US was time-consuming and expensive. Thankfully the 1M is very small and light-weight if need should arise.

There is a similar system called Zipforce soon on the market in Sweden. It can't compare to 1M being much cruder, but cheaper at about a third of the cost compared to importing a 1M. They also have their work shop a few hundred meters from my work, which makes matters so much easier. Website in Swedish: https://zipforce.se/

Miro, I also live in the EU (Sweden), and I'm interested in your experience of the import. Some 15 years ago I bought my first e-assist, an Ecospeed mid-drive, directly from the US. I had to pay a grotesque amount of extra fees for special air-freight of the battery, customs and tax. Are both of the 1M batteries small enough to be exempt from this special air-freight packaging? You mentioned flying with yours. You said you had to wait a long time for delivery, how long in total from ordering was this? I'm not a backer either. What about customs and tax?

Are you concerned about servicing? I burned the controller twice on my Ecospeed, and shipping to and from US was time-consuming and expensive. Thankfully the 1M is very small and light-weight if need should arise.

There is a similar system called Zipforce soon on the market in Sweden. It can't compare to 1M being much cruder, but cheaper at about a third of the cost compared to importing a 1M. They also have their work shop a few hundred meters from my work, which makes matters so much easier. Website in Swedish: https://zipforce.se/

Ah...zipforce is like a front wheel drive Rubbee. Not a big fan of all in one devices, though. Modulars are easier to repair and easier to get batteries rebuilt. I'm sure Miro will answer you, I can only say it's been easy for me since I live in the US. I shipped the stuff back to NY once to get software updates and it wasn't a big deal at all. But from the EU....?

Hi, sorry it took ages to reply.
You get what you paid. I believe there's no system on the market comparable to OM, it is really superb.
Import: US products are taxable in EU. But there are ways to relax it, be innovative, I've got it through cheaply ... 😊, you got to bullshit a bit.
The battery is 130Wh, no problem with flying, I took it to Africa on the plane, at the security check point, the same procedure as with laptop.
Yes, servicing is a PITA, it can be complicated, your shipper must complete a form called DA69 else you may be charged by the customs the usual duties for import so making you paying the customs twice 😡. So, be careful.
Grace is clued up with all the details. These guys are really helpful, competent. I'm not sure if you can order it now under this terrible situation, but talk to Grace and have your OM soon after lockdown has been lifted. Send her my greetings.
Wish you much luck.

Last edited:
Hi, sorry it took ages to reply.
You get what you paid. I believe there's no system on the market comparable to OM, it is really superb.
Import: US products are taxable in EU. But there are ways to relax it, be innovative, I've got it through cheaply ... 😊, you got to bullshit a bit.
The battery is 130Wh, no problem with flying, I took it to Africa on the plane, at the security check point, the same procedure as with laptop.
Yes, servicing is a PITA, it can be complicated, your shipper must complete a form called DA69 else you may be charged by the customs the usual duties for import so making you paying the customs twice 😡. So, be careful.
Grace is clued up with all the details. These guys are really helpful, competent. I'm not sure if you can order it now under this terrible situation, but talk to Grace and have your OM soon after lockdown has been lifted. Send her my greetings.
Wish you much luck.
Thanks for the reply, it really helped! I think I will wait a little while until the Zipforce is ready and take a look at that. Maybe it's too big to fit on my bike anyway. Then I will probably end up with a OM. :)

Thanks for the reply, it really helped! I think I will wait a little while until the Zipforce is ready and take a look at that. Maybe it's too big to fit on my bike n. Then I will probably end up with a OM. :)
Which bike you got? I'm using it mainly on my Brommie, I think it's a better solution than Brompton electric option

Hi Cyberskater,
Thanks so much for your info. Hell, I like your bike. After coronavirus is gone, I'll go into it seriously. How about the luggage carriers? What's the weight?
One tip: don't wait, contact onemotor.co regarding the mounting of OM, Jeff can design it for sure, they've got 3D printer in house, the question will be how long would it take or rather how long COV will last. But this bike is stirring my mind

Hi Cyberskater,
Thanks so much for your info. Hell, I like your bike. After coronavirus is gone, I'll go into it seriously. How about the luggage carriers? What's the weight?
One tip: don't wait, contact onemotor.co regarding the mounting of OM, Jeff can design it for sure, they've got 3D printer in house, the question will be how long would it take or rather how long COV will last. But this bike is stirring my mind
Hi Miro
It's a very unique bike for sure! As I mentioned in my other post I have a velomobile from the same company, and I just love their attention to detail and how they go back to the drawing board and re-design a bike from scratch. The quality is superb, and the enclosed design makes it a perpetuum mobile. I bought it second hand from a friend, and he's hade it for ten years and used it a lot. It was also delivered from Lübeck in Germany to Stockholm Sweden by the shop owner who cycled it here! So when my friend got it, it was well run in and tested. When I got it I opened it up, and the chains and sprockets were in mint condition! The only maintenance you have to do is an oilchange in the gearbox every year or so.

This is a bike made for care-free everyday use and long distance touring, the focus is on comfort and reliability. So it is not a lightweight bike at some 14kg stripped. It's not foldable, but for a trip it is possible to break it down in several steps by folding the frame and removing the steerer, seat and wheels. I have a carrier and a big bag that hangs at the back of the seat. For touring I also have recumbent banana bags that hang under your arms like very comfy arm-rests. If you want to read more the shop where it was bought has a lot of info, I guess you understand German: http://www.flevo.de/Entwurf_Flevobike.html I will be happy to provide more info if you want!solsidan.jpg This is my bike from a day-trip to the near-by Baltic.

Hi Miro
It's a very unique bike for sure! As I mentioned in my other post I have a velomobile from the same company, and I just love their attention to detail and how they go back to the drawing board and re-design a bike from scratch. The quality is superb, and the enclosed design makes it a perpetuum mobile. I bought it second hand from a friend, and he's hade it for ten years and used it a lot. It was also delivered from Lübeck in Germany to Stockholm Sweden by the shop owner who cycled it here! So when my friend got it, it was well run in and tested. When I got it I opened it up, and the chains and sprockets were in mint condition! The only maintenance you have to do is an oilchange in the gearbox every year or so.

This is a bike made for care-free everyday use and long distance touring, the focus is on comfort and reliability. So it is not a lightweight bike at some 14kg stripped. It's not foldable, but for a trip it is possible to break it down in several steps by folding the frame and removing the steerer, seat and wheels. I have a carrier and a big bag that hangs at the back of the seat. For touring I also have recumbent banana bags that hang under your arms like very comfy arm-rests. If you want to read more the shop where it was bought has a lot of info, I guess you understand German: http://www.flevo.de/Entwurf_Flevobike.html I will be happy to provide more info if you want!View attachment 49741 This is my bike from a day-trip to the near-by Baltic.

Send a picture of your bike to Jeff now. He designed and printed a custom mount for my Bike Friday pakiT. It took a few iterations, lots of remeasuring, to get it perfect so there is some time involved. Send him a couple good pics from different sides/angles and see whether he thinks it's feasible. If it's not, you can start looking for something else. If it is, then you will know you have at least one option. [email protected]. Attn: Jeff/Grace.

Hi Miro

This is a bike made for care-free everyday use and long distance touring, the focus is on comfort and reliability. So it is not a lightweight bike at some 14kg stripped. It's not foldable, but for a trip it is possible to break it down in several steps by folding the frame and removing the steerer, seat and wheels. I have a carrier and a big bag that hangs at the back of the seat. For touring I also have recumbent banana bags that hang under your arms like very comfy arm-rests. If you want to read more the shop where it was bought has a lot of info, I guess you understand German: http://www.flevo.de/Entwurf_Flevobike.html I will be happy to provide more info if you want!View attachment 49741 This is my bike from a day-trip to the near-by Baltic.
Hi Miro

Hi Cyberskater
Thanks for the extremely useful info. Flevo.de site is informative, in a couple of days I'm gonna shoot some queries to the owner, in meantime I'm absorbing each picture from the collection.
As Lin also strongly advise you to get in touch with Jeff or Grace soon, I hope you do that when you get chance as I'd like to know if OneMotor can make the OM mount for the Green machine as it's a bit tricky since you got full mudguards which seem to be in the way but you obviously want to keep.those.
My final decision in obtaining the Flevo GM will depend a lot on the outcome of Jeff's opinion re the OM mounting as each of my bikes I wish to be compatible with OneMotor drive.
Well, the chance is that you and me both will have the world's best bicycle (and unfortunately seemingly the most expensive) driven by the world's best e-drive. Fingers crossed ...

Hi Cyberskater
Thanks for the extremely useful info. Flevo.de site is informative, in a couple of days I'm gonna shoot some queries to the owner, in meantime I'm absorbing each picture from the collection.
As Lin also strongly advise you to get in touch with Jeff or Grace soon, I hope you do that when you get chance as I'd like to know if OneMotor can make the OM mount for the Green machine as it's a bit tricky since you got full mudguards which seem to be in the way but you obviously want to keep.those.
My final decision in obtaining the Flevo GM will depend a lot on the outcome of Jeff's opinion re the OM mounting as each of my bikes I wish to be compatible with OneMotor drive.
Well, the chance is that you and me both will have the world's best bicycle (and unfortunately seemingly the most expensive) driven by the world's best e-drive. Fingers crossed ...

At the moment the bike is at my work place, as I was planning to ride over to the Zipforce workshop to try their motor out. Then came corona... I am locked out from work, but I sneak in at night sometimes. I will take some pictures and measurements next time, as Lin suggested. Since the picture was taken I have removed the rack and the mud guards, but I am uncertain if there is enough head room between the front wheel and the frame if I were to mount it there. Probably the kickstand mount is the best, if the signal from the PAS sensor at the BB is strong enough.

Have you tried a recumbent bike before? There is a learning curve, but the GM is one of the easier to master. You sit fairly low, so you can easily put your feet down. I think the Flevo.de is one of the best shops for recumbents and velomobiles, he even produces a very interesting modular freight bike PONY4 himself, but there are others. On the manufacturers website you have a dealer's map: https://www.flevobike.nl/component/...2/mapzoom,/placemarklistid,/view,zhgooglemap/

The manufacturer is a small company focusing on development of new bikes. This means their production rate is low, I had to wait a full year for my velomobile. They are the co-designers of two of the most interesting bikes on the market;

At the moment the bike is at my work place, as I was planning to ride over to the Zipforce workshop to try their motor out. Then came corona... I am locked out from work, but I sneak in at night sometimes. I will take some pictures and measurements next time, as Lin suggested. Since the picture was taken I have removed the rack and the mud guards, but I am uncertain if there is enough head room between the front wheel and the frame if I were to mount it there. Probably the kickstand mount is the best, if the signal from the PAS sensor at the BB is strong enough.

Have you tried a recumbent bike before? There is a learning curve, but the GM is one of the easier to master. You sit fairly low, so you can easily put your feet down. I think the Flevo.de is one of the best shops for recumbents and velomobiles, he even produces a very interesting modular freight bike PONY4 himself, but there are others. On the manufacturers website you have a dealer's map: https://www.flevobike.nl/component/...2/mapzoom,/placemarklistid,/view,zhgooglemap/

The manufacturer is a small company focusing on development of new bikes. This means their production rate is low, I had to wait a full year for my velomobile. They are the co-designers of two of the most interesting bikes on the market;

So, you're over there also locked up, same as here. I wouldn't suggest you break the rules, rather stay home, stay healthy, the invisible enemy isn't to underestimate.
Just by looking at the picture it looks like there's space enough for OM with mudguard removed of course. It would be mounted on the front fork. Though even with mudguard I think shouldn't be a problem as brompton got it too but I'm not sure if also that long.
O, yes - the kickstand can be the solution
if it is a standard kickstand flange. The mount for it is a standard feature, easiest mounting procedure, just 1 bolt. The battery can go onto one of the water bottle studs pair, that's also standard. The Bluetooth signal is fine, I tested it on the distance of 6 m.
You'll have to find a suitable place to mount the hand controller, tiny unit usually mounted on the handlebar. There are several functions you set by this unit (assist level, motor to tyre pressure, retract modes, regional modes such as US, EU, Canada, NY ... one of the functions you're not allowed to use inside EU, though it's there: the throttle). You may opt not to have this controller altogether but to use your phone instead with large display, communicating with OM through simblee for mobile. Although I strongly would recommend the hand controller.

No, I never tried a recumbent bike and frankly I'm a bit concerned if one can easily get used to it or if at all 😡.

I thought already the GM supplier is a small company, but ones established they're usually the best people to deal with. Similar case is with Jeff. You can trust him, rely on him, you're in good hands.

Last edited:
So, you're over there also locked up, same as here. I wouldn't suggest you break the rules, rather stay home, stay healthy, the invisible enemy isn't to underestimate.
Just by looking at the picture it looks like there's space enough for OM with mudguard removed of course. It would be mounted on the front fork. Though even with mudguard I think shouldn't be a problem as brompton got it too but I'm not sure if also that long.
O, yes - the kickstand can be the solution
if it is a standard kickstand flange. The mount for it is a standard feature, easiest mounting procedure, just 1 bolt. The battery can go onto one of the water bottle studs pair, that's also standard. The Bluetooth signal is fine, I tested it on the distance of 6 m.
You'll have to find a suitable place to mount the hand controller, tiny unit usually mounted on the handlebar. There are several functions you set by this unit (assist level, motor to tyre pressure, retract modes, regional modes such as US, EU, Canada, NY ... one of the functions you're not allowed to use inside EU, though it's there: the throttle). You may opt not to have this controller altogether but to use your phone instead with large display, communicating with OM through simblee for mobile. Although I strongly would recommend the hand controller.

No, I never tried a recumbent bike and frankly I'm a bit concerned if one can easily get used to it or if at all 😡.

I thought already the GM supplier is a small company, but ones established they're usually the best people to deal with. Similar case is with Jeff. You can trust him, rely on him, you're in good hands.
I strongly recommend hand controller. Simblee is no longer being supported by the developer and any problems or issues cannot be corrected. Jeff is working on a stand alone app, but that's going to take time. I've found the redundancy of systems to be a marvelous feature with OM. If you're out riding and forgot to charge the hand controller so it dies, you can continue on with the PAS and your phone. If you have an iPhone (as I do) and you have to wipe and restore it (as I did) you will lose access to Simblee as it's no longer signed on the Apple store so having the hand controller becomes necessary anyway.

Miro, I've tried a recumbent. There are a lot of different geometries out there with different sized wheels. It is very much different from riding an upright style bike. Aside from learning the new balance and turning (that's an adventure!), there is a real change in visibility - being seen as well as being able to see - that takes some time to adjust. You definitely want to get in some time riding one with geometry as close to the one you are considering as possible before ordering.

I strongly recommend hand controller. Simblee is no longer being supported by the developer and any problems or issues cannot be corrected. Jeff is working on a stand alone app, but that's going to take time. I've found the redundancy of systems to be a marvelous feature with OM. If you're out riding and forgot to charge the hand controller so it dies, you can continue on with the PAS and your phone. If you have an iPhone (as I do) and you have to wipe and restore it (as I did) you will lose access to Simblee as it's no longer signed on the Apple store so having the hand controller becomes necessary anyway.

Miro, I've tried a recumbent. There are a lot of different geometries out there with different sized wheels. It is very much different from riding an upright style bike. Aside from learning the new balance and turning (that's an adventure!), there is a real change in visibility - being seen as well as being able to see - that takes some time to adjust. You definitely want to get in some time riding one with geometry as close to the one you are considering as possible before ordering.
Thanks Lin for the tip. There's lots of time for consideration before COV is over. Anyway I still didn't much explore my Brommie/OM as yet and this year is certainly not going to give us any chance for such a luxury. Hopefully the next year will be more kind to us

Last edited:
Back