On an ebike The battery can be easily removed (3seconds) and the display.
Those are the main components for someone to tamper with.
The motor is well secured in the wheel assuming wheel is locked just like your regular bike. Nobody is gonna tamper with some rear hub motor as they are all the same. If it’s mid drive that is even safer.

Where I live they just angle grinder cut your locks and take the whole bike, so even if you bothered to remove the battery, you would lose the mid-drive or hub. Maybe you live where locks are infallible, but I sure don't. Whole bikes are stolen daily. At least with OM, all they would get is my beater bike which I can easily replace.

The really good locks take minutes for an angle grinders . No thief would do it in an open setting , daytime...

Q- so, basically every single time you lock bike , the motor needs to be taken from the mount right ? Or does it have a specific lock of it’s own ? Can you lock it to the wheel ?

I doubt someone would take it if it’s locked, they may not even know what it is.

But if you can not lock it, it’s a real hassle too take it off carry it every single time .

If you do 4-5errannds in a day -10times you have to do that besides locking your bike !!

Stop at Starbucks, lock bike, take motor, take battery.
Leave Starbucks , unlock bike , put motor, put battery back.

Stop at Post office , lock bike, take motor, take battery.
Leave Post office , unlock bike , put motor, put battery back.

Stop at Home depot , lock bike, take motor, take battery.
Leave Home depot unlock bike , put motor, put battery back.

For 1.5k for the SYstem It sounds like you’re working for them for free...unless i was mistaken and the motor can be locked

Same for the battery ! On a good ebikes the battery is Locked , there’s nothing to grind or the thief will explode togheter with the battery 😉

Just use 2 ABUS GRANITE locks(xtreme +bordo) , nobody will ever mess with your bike. And maybe an additional Disc lock with alarm and no worries .

Last edited:
The really good locks take minutes for an angle grinders . No thief would do it in an open setting , daytime...

Q- so, basically every single time you lock bike , the motor needs to be taken from the mount right ? Or does it have a specific lock of it’s own ? Can you lock it to the wheel ?

I doubt someone would take it if it’s locked, they may not even know what it is.

But if you can not lock it, it’s a real hassle too take it off carry it every single time .

If you do 4-5errannds in a day -10times you have to do that besides locking your bike !!

Stop at Starbucks, lock bike, take motor, take battery.
Leave Starbucks , unlock bike , put motor, put battery back.

Stop at Post office , lock bike, take motor, take battery.
Leave Post office , unlock bike , put motor, put battery back.

Stop at Home depot , lock bike, take motor, take battery.
Leave Home depot unlock bike , put motor, put battery back.

For 1.5k for the SYstem It sounds like you’re working for them for free...unless i was mistaken and the motor can be locked

Same for the battery ! On a good ebikes the battery is Locked , there’s nothing to grind or the thief will explode togheter with the battery 😉

Just use 2 ABUS GRANITE locks(xtreme +bordo) , nobody will ever mess with your bike. And maybe an additional Disc lock with alarm and no worries .

My son lost his key to his bike locked outside his apartment. I cut his NY Kryptonite luck with an angle grinder in less than 60 seconds. There are lots of videos on You Tube of people in NY just walking along as someone cuts a lock sending sparks everywhere. You clearly live in a small or non-urban area. I don't lock my bike, it's only 23.5 lbs and it folds with the battery. If I got to a movie, I take my beater and take the OM inside with me; I do lock up then but it takes 2 seconds because I don't have to lock the wheels just a quick ulock on the frame - because it's a beater bike no one wants. It takes me no longer to remove the OM than it takes someone to remove their lights and bags. As I said before - if it's too much trouble for you, then don't get one. Why are you beating this to death? You're entitled to purchase a 40lb dedicated ebike if you want. What I have works perfectly for me, I can use it on both my bikes, I can easily carry my motored bike up the stairs at Bart (and I'm an old lady). I don't have to worry about theft. I can charge it anywhere and fly with it anywhere. To me, all that trumps the less than 30 seconds it takes to remove the unit when I need to do that. And you keep missing the point about theft, which is that bike thieves take the ENTIRE BIKE which means your motor is gone, too. And your locked battery. And who wants to have to carry and spend time locking up TWO Abus locks, which weigh a ton and just add to your 40lb bike. I use a mini-ulock when I lock my bike, 2lbs. I bet it takes longer to lock your bike with two abus locks and unlock than it does for me to pull my OM off, lol. And they can still be cut, and no one will stop them. But whatever, if you don't think OM works for you, just don't get one. Btw: Abus lock 28 seconds with an angle grinder. https://www.cyclist.co.uk/reviews/1381/cycling-locks-tested-until-breaking-point

Last edited:
I am in NY myself but my lock is a Granite xtreme moto and you can’t realistically cut it with A grinder in daytime !! You have to change the blades a few times and will take 10-12minutes of serious work.

In the video he took a long time to even pick it and then he made a final video/ fast forward video b/c he figured out the combo and how to do it fast.
I don’t think you understand this part so reread it.

Meaning in daytime in the street nobody will spend hours to pick this lock; forget about changing blades on an angle grinder.
But he or she would have to cut another one after this and then cut the disk lock.
Will they cut your 200$ bike thats has a 50$ lock or spend 35minutes in broad daylight cutting 3locks and changing a grinder blades ?

I can relax at Starbucks while you have to carry that monster with you every single time lol...

It’s a Security level 20.

Show me a you tube video cutting that lock in less then 15min. But i also have a LOUD alarm .

Don’t get Kryptonite . Only Abus sec . Level 15 and UP. 2 locks and disk alarm. Motion sensor keeps the NY theifs away.

If you buy a 2k bike the lock should be 10-15% of the purchase price.

But anyway i always park it inside garage if i’m more then 15min. Away . Its 7$ for a bike.
I bet you didnt knew that b/c you are too cheap anyway...

So the theif has a 15min-35min very hard job and will go for easy pray like a Kryptonite or lesser secure lock.

It takes 3-4seconds to use each lock. B/c they are the best and work smoothly.

The traffic takes 12min from 1st av. To 11th av.
It takes my ebike 1-2minutes. Is that 10-15seconds relevant since i save a TON of TIME by not sitting behind an ICE car or an EV one for that matter... and that is same for you, excoet that you gotta carry the parts .
You are way behind in the dark ages !

That video you posted is of a cheap Abus.

But anyway, enough of arguing . You have your understanding, reasoning and methods , someone else has theirs.
As long as they work and are safe , each method or mode (1Motor or ebike) is GOOD.

Last edited:
I am in NY myself but my lock is a Granite xtreme moto and you can’t realistically cut it with A grinder in daytime !! You have to change the blades a few times and will take 10-12minutes of serious work.

In the video he took a long time to even pick it and then he made a final video/ fast forward video b/c he figured out the combo and how to do it fast.
I don’t think you understand this part so reread it.

Meaning in daytime in the street nobody will spend hours to pick this lock; forget about changing blades on an angle grinder.
But he or she would have to cut another one after this and then cut the disk lock.
Will they cut your 200$ bike thats has a 50$ lock or spend 35minutes in broad daylight cutting 3locks and changing a grinder blades ?

I can relax at Starbucks while you have to carry that monster with you every single time lol...

It’s a Security level 20.

Show me a you tube video cutting that lock in less then 15min. But i also have a LOUD alarm .

Don’t get Kryptonite . Only Abus sec . Level 15 and UP. 2 locks and disk alarm. Motion sensor keeps the NY theifs away.

If you buy a 2k bike the lock should be 10-15% of the purchase price.

But anyway i always park it inside garage if i’m more then 15min. Away . Its 7$ for a bike.
I bet you didnt knew that b/c you are too cheap anyway...

So the theif has a 15min-35min very hard job and will go for easy pray like a Kryptonite or lesser secure lock.

It takes 3-4seconds to use each lock. B/c they are the best and work smoothly.

The traffic takes 12min from 1st av. To 11th av.
It takes my ebike 1-2minutes. Is that 10-15seconds relevant since i save a TON of TIME by not sitting behind an ICE car or an EV one for that matter... and that is same for you, excoet that you gotta carry the parts .
You are way behind in the dark ages !

That video you posted is of a cheap Abus.

But anyway, enough of arguing . You have your understanding, reasoning and methods , someone else has theirs.
As long as they work and are safe , each method or mode (1Motor or ebike) is GOOD.

I'm glad what you do works for you. Your solution would absolutely not work for me for many reasons but I'm glad it works for you. My solution (OM) meets my needs, which are different than yours. Because your solution does not meet my needs does not make it a bad solution and just because OM takes 20 seconds to remove (which does not meet your needs) does not make that a problem. I love being able to fly with my Bike Friday and my motor.

New update sent out to backers, so if you're one, check your spam folders. OM has received new investment capital.

My motor, controller and PAS sensor are on the way to New York to get all the new software updates!!! From what I've heard, they really make a positive difference to an already good system. Can't wait to get it back =).

Hi Lin I had two nice emails from Grace and Jeff G. We agreed I would purchase the one motor unit with universal mount for 49 dollars for bottom of my bike. Grace was concerned about my mention of two bikes, a no speed cruiser Schwinn with coaster pedal brakes, and a kickstand by the pedals, but also my road bike with no kickstand. So Jeff asked me to photo both bottoms of these bikes. I decided and emailed them that I just wanted to focus on the Schwinn coaster brake kickstand no speed cruiser bike only. As I have not ridden any of my bikes for 7 years due to west nile virus fatigue I know I am not able to yet ride my road bike. I asked if they could just allow me to buy the unit with the universal mount for the bottom of my cruiser bike. In the future I could order the mount I need for the road bike. No communication from Grace or Jeff by email since I proposed that plan. I know they are busy and I am not a backer. But I do want to buy. Do you think with only two of them, they cannot build or make a unit for me because I am not a backer? I tried to get in on the backer program but missed the dead line, and I have been in touch since a few years ago when they got going. let me know your thoughts, thanks. oh you have done a super impressive job making the video of the noise or really lack of noise the motor makes, which makes me super happy as I love the quiet of a nature bike ride, and another super job at the video of how easy it is to remove the unit, and handling the discussions. I truly am a dinosaur at digital photo and cannot upload to computer. I have had the TBI and west nile as mentioned and rode bikes for 25 years with tons of back, knee, neck, and other pain because I love the way nature and flying on a bike feels. So I want to get back to this, and no, I am not a backer, so I am willing to say all this, and have faith because all the years I have tried regular e bike ideas have left too much noise and heavy bikes making me super sad at not having Nature and her quiet as the goal, plus the light feeling of flying. That is why at age 5 I loved it.

Hi Lin I had two nice emails from Grace and Jeff G. We agreed I would purchase the one motor unit with universal mount for 49 dollars for bottom of my bike. Grace was concerned about my mention of two bikes, a no speed cruiser Schwinn with coaster pedal brakes, and a kickstand by the pedals, but also my road bike with no kickstand. So Jeff asked me to photo both bottoms of these bikes. I decided and emailed them that I just wanted to focus on the Schwinn coaster brake kickstand no speed cruiser bike only. As I have not ridden any of my bikes for 7 years due to west nile virus fatigue I know I am not able to yet ride my road bike. I asked if they could just allow me to buy the unit with the universal mount for the bottom of my cruiser bike. In the future I could order the mount I need for the road bike. No communication from Grace or Jeff by email since I proposed that plan. I know they are busy and I am not a backer. But I do want to buy. Do you think with only two of them, they cannot build or make a unit for me because I am not a backer? I tried to get in on the backer program but missed the dead line, and I have been in touch since a few years ago when they got going. let me know your thoughts, thanks. oh you have done a super impressive job making the video of the noise or really lack of noise the motor makes, which makes me super happy as I love the quiet of a nature bike ride, and another super job at the video of how easy it is to remove the unit, and handling the discussions. I truly am a dinosaur at digital photo and cannot upload to computer. I have had the TBI and west nile as mentioned and rode bikes for 25 years with tons of back, knee, neck, and other pain because I love the way nature and flying on a bike feels. So I want to get back to this, and no, I am not a backer, so I am willing to say all this, and have faith because all the years I have tried regular e bike ideas have left too much noise and heavy bikes making me super sad at not having Nature and her quiet as the goal, plus the light feeling of flying. That is why at age 5 I loved it.

They are kind of consumed right this second with getting the new 3d printer going. They were using another source, not in-house, and were not happy with the quality and attention to detail so they are going to make the mounts and printed parts themselves. Hang in there, they'll get back to you soon, and you want those new 3d parts anyway. They're gonna send me a new set, too =). Let me add, I have the kickstand mount on my Dahon. First of all, it is super easy to install - one single bolt. Period. I loved that part, lol. Now with a coaster brake, which is what my Dahon has, you cannot use the regenerative method of backpedaling to increase your battery level. That's the only drawback to using it with a coaster brake. The other thing about using it with a single speed bike (like my Dahon) is that you can't up the power a lot because you spin out. I don't know if the chainring on your Schwinn can be replaced - it can on my Dahon and I'm thinking about doing that eventually, because there's a limit to how fast I can churn my legs, lol. I do think it works better on a bike with gears (like my Bike Friday) as you can take advantage of the gearing to adjust your spinning to each speed, and you can use regenerative if you want. So I'm guessing even if you start out with the Schwinn, you will want a mount for your road bike pretty soon thereafter, to make the ride more adaptable to your efforts.

Last edited:
Thanks Lin. Boy sure glad you have the same Dahon to help me understand. yeah, this seems fine to me. I have always kept a coaster brake bike to build up my thigh muscles, so just getting toning back I know I will use the one motor less to the point I hope to be on my road with the one motor for long rides.
When I did 350 mile week trips for M.S. and A.I.D.S rides, I often longed for some help on my road bike at points when fatigue would hit, so that is what I see eventual use of one motor. A help, but not a complete reliance. OK Grace did email me back, so I will be patient. Thanks again.

Thanks Lin. Boy sure glad you have the same Dahon to help me understand. yeah, this seems fine to me. I have always kept a coaster brake bike to build up my thigh muscles, so just getting toning back I know I will use the one motor less to the point I hope to be on my road with the one motor for long rides.
When I did 350 mile week trips for M.S. and A.I.D.S rides, I often longed for some help on my road bike at points when fatigue would hit, so that is what I see eventual use of one motor. A help, but not a complete reliance. OK Grace did email me back, so I will be patient. Thanks again.
Once you've had a chance to get your bike fitness back, you'll find the OM excels as an adjunct to riding. Once I got past the excitement of the "new toy" and stopped using it constantly because it was fun, I got back to riding how I initially intended. Because of the super light weight, it can be on my bike without any negative effect and zero drag unlike a hub. For long flat rides I don't even turn on the battery at first. I usually stop and push the battery button when I head out on the return ride, then "pause" the system and kick it on when I get tired. For hilly or windy rides, I turn it on and "pause" it immediately (doesn't drain the battery) and then just toggle it on for hills or headwinds. That allows me even with the smaller battery to easily go 50 miles with intermittent assist. And it lets me do the work and keep my fitness level up consistently. OM is "help" not a moped. And that's what I wanted. If the time ever comes where I can't pedal on my own at all, I will rethink this.

Doesn't matter if you're not a backer, I'm not either and got my OM and all the help I need from Grace. Yes, kickstand is the easiest and the simplest motor installation, 1 bolt - that's all. Then 2 screws for battery plate onto water bottle studs if you got it, else a velcro holder around the tube they supply you. Can't be simpler, really.

Last edited:
My unit is due to be delivered back to me on Monday, hurray!!!! Once I get it set up and test out the new functionality, I will post an update.

Got my OM back, gave it the briefest of test rides on a smooth path yesterday. The motor transition from a stop to taking off now is incredibly smooth, you don't even really feel it engage, it just goes. And there's no longer the effort required to push from the stop to get it to engage, if you ride with the PAS on. Throttle response is instant now as well. More to test once our winds die down....

Okay, did 15 miles today. First of all the new mounts (thanks, guys!) are 3d printed in-house and are a much better fit than my original ones. There is practically no slack once installed and so the roller movement is perfectly controlled. On roads where in the past I would sometimes get some "chattering" due to rough surfaces and the motor trying to reset, there was none of that this ride. The new software which gets the motor started immediately on take off is also fantastic - I didn't realize how much effort I was expending in pushing off in a hard gear so I wouldn't have to
shift once the motor kicked in. Now the assist starts within an inch or so of crank movement and I'm not mashing to roll forward. There are some new settings for tension of the belt which can be set to automatic or manual, and you can also set min, low, mid, firm pressures. I have not figured this all out yet, I actually ended up in a setting I didn't want and had to stop and figure out how to put it back to automatic. When it was on manual, somehow it wasn't retracting completely when I paused the PAS, so I definitely need to get more info from Grace and Jeff on
how this functionality works so I can decide how to use it. I didn't use the throttle at all on this ride, which was on my single speed Dahon Mu Uno.

Winter is coming. And I just realized that the new improved OM mount for my Bike Friday pakiT precludes me mounting my rear fender :-(. So I either need to find a different fender that can mount in another manner, or install the front mount for the OM at least for winter. No rains projected any time soon, unfortunately, but that gives me time to sort it. The other option is one of those under-seat fenders but I'm not crazy about those as the back of the legs can still get pretty wet and dirty.

Brief ride yesterday with the Bike Friday. 7 miles. The new mount makes the motor engagement super solid, zero bouncing or chattering off the wheel. It also makes the wheel turn faster, so I've had to shift up one more gear to prevent spinning out. Good thing the new software engages the motor immediately as I could not take off from a stop easily in that gear, but the motor on PAS kicks in within about an inch or so of crank travel, so it works fine. I may have to think about taking my 1x8 to a 1x10 to be able to take advantage of all the speed from OM and still be able to get some exercise from pedaling resistance. I'm riding in 7th gear now on PAS1 and I'm pretty sure I will spin out if I try to use the highest PAS levels. Looks like a good excuse to upgrade my bike, lol.

Just an update - my OM has been to the mothership and had the newest software installed. Performance is even better now. Today was the truest test for me of this system. I put the motor and battery in my sling bag and rode to Costco on my single speed Dahon with my Burley Travoy trailer. I loaded the trailer up with 40lbs of dog food and a gigantic laundry detergent that weighed 10lbs. After I purchased, I put the OM system on my bike and rode home, over a very steep freeway overpass. Now no way I would have done this on a single speed with 50lbs +10lbs for the trailer - I would have had to push it. As I approached the overpass I flicked the PAS level up to 6 (just guessing) of the 9 available, and it was like riding the flats all the way up and over!!! The motor never struggled, I didn't struggle, it was everything I had hoped it would be. And I love that I could carry it in my bag and ride analog with the empty trailer on the way there.

Well, we've been having rain (finally) so not a lot of riding for me :-(. Have a big Costco run to do next week so hoping for a fairly dry day; my OM and Burley Travoy will come out to play.

Finally got a couple days of somewhat dry weather so I got out and used the OM. First ride was 20 miles and the next day 15. The roads were still wet and there were puddles, of course. I was pleasantly surprised by how well the OM worked with wet slicks on my bike. I experience zero slipping. Maybe if it had been raining it would be different, but I'm reluctant to expose the OM to pouring rain so if I have to ride when it's raining I am analog. That's partly because I don't use the battery bracket, I use a bag which is mounted vertically, so the battery might collect water which I assume would not be good. If I was using the bracket, I would not be concerned as it does have a good wet rating. I just find leaving it my Revelate feedbag works best for my bikes to transfer the battery as well as click it on the outside of my sling bag when carrying it off the bike. Anyway, it was really nice to get out and ride and I have found the unit seems to be more powerful since the software update. I love the way it kicks in almost immediately now - much better when taking off from stops. Much more effective than the hub bikes I've used in this regard. I've had to start riding in 7th gear to be able to produce more pedaling effort to get some exercise and not just spin freely - and keep my cadence up - and this has increased my range a bit as I produce more of the watts. I do think I may eventually top out in 8th so I might have to either replace the cassette with a different range or upgrade to ten speeds. But that's next summer's fun.... I had an issue where I could not use the fender I had used before because of the mounting hardware blocking the fender mount hole, but I purchased one of those "ass saver" flexible fenders and zip tied it to the kickstand and it works great. Folds under when I fold the rear triangle to stand the bike, pops out to keep me clean when I unfold. Took a marker to the name, though, lol.

Attachments

• IMG_0298.jpg
    IMG_0298.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 450
Back