Removing rear wheel with belt drive...puncture avoidance and field flat repair strategies

Neither have I.

I've punctured three times and have pushed my Homage with Gates + Rohloff each time (2, 6 and 7 km). It's a huge problem that hangs over me despite my using Marathon Plus, Panaracer Flataway (Kevlar liner), Tannus Armour and sealant.

Back home, I use a ratchet strap hanging from the shed roof to lift the rear wheel off the ground.
… David
Like your ratchet strap idea. I have no beam to suspend from so instead used 2 step ladders with a piece of hardwood through the rear carrier. Never had a puncture on the old Supercharger. Can't say the same for the new SD.... So glad now though there's no cassette and derailleur to service!

Attachments

• 20190609_144038.jpg
    20190609_144038.jpg
    410.2 KB · Views: 210
I hung two sets of ropes from the rafters and put loops in them. One for the handlebars and one for the seat. Bike is suspended!

I use tubeless with sealant. After I get the first flat, which self seals and with a few pumps of air, I continue on the ride, then I change the tire at home. I get 1800 miles on the rear before a flat usually. Front is way way longer. Also it is a good to have your next, new, rear tire at home already.

Like your ratchet strap idea. I have no beam to suspend from so instead used 2 step ladders with a piece of hardwood through the rear carrier. Never had a puncture on the old Supercharger. Can't say the same for the new SD.... So glad now though there's no cassette and derailleur to service!
What a clever solution!

View attachment 83733I found the Superdelite too heavy to get onto my Park Tools stand so I mounted a winch. I find every task easier if the bike is at the right Can slide the winch along the bar.
I have the same bike and a Park stand as well. I found that if I take the batteries out I can lift it into the stand without too much grunting. With the batteries installed, forget it!

I love that garage! May I ask how old the walls and timbers are?

Marc

I have the same bike and a Park stand as well. I found that if I take the batteries out I can lift it into the stand without too much grunting. With the batteries installed, forget it!

I love that garage! May I ask how old the walls and timbers are?

Marc
The house is late 17th century but we believe that the barns are later around 1830. The wood in the roof is typically much older as it was reused so we have lots of wood from the 17th century.

Back in France so back on my SuperDelite, and that means my first puncture of the summer. A thorn through the Tannus. So I have finally fitted my Mr Tuffy Strip between the tyre and the Tannus. Is this it. The end of my punctures? I am surprised there was any room left for air in the tube with all that going on.

Hey folks. I have been thinking about the best strategy for puncture avoidance and field flat repair. I have a Super Delite on order (Enviolo w/ GX option). How daunting is rear wheel removal in the field on these Gates carbon belt driven R&Ms? I am contemplating Tannus tire liners to reduce puncture risk as much as possible. Would appreciate our thoughts on this. Thanks!
Excellent video for rear wheel removal.

Back