Recommended upgrade derailleur and shifter for 2019 RadMini?

ctownj30

My derailleur "blew up" this weekend, just sort of separated into pieces while riding down the road. I've never had great luck with the stock system - its never reliably worked in all gears even after professional service, and its always taken a lot of force to shift even after changing out the cable, shifter, and derailleur with new stock components.

Looking to upgrade to something higher quality instead of just attaching yet another Altus - any recommendations?

Should I upgrade just the shifter/cable/derailleur, or also the front ring and the cassette?

Help appreciated. I'm capable of doing the install myself, but hoping to get a list of what I'll need based on a proven recommendation.

My derailleur "blew up" this weekend, just sort of separated into pieces while riding down the road. I've never had great luck with the stock system - its never reliably worked in all gears even after professional service, and its always taken a lot of force to shift even after changing out the cable, shifter, and derailleur with new stock components.

Looking to upgrade to something higher quality instead of just attaching yet another Altus - any recommendations?

Should I upgrade just the shifter/cable/derailleur, or also the front ring and the cassette?

Help appreciated. I'm capable of doing the install myself, but hoping to get a list of what I'll need based on a proven recommendation.
you stuck because of the free wheel and limited gears. but if you get a better shifter and new housing and cable that will be the best you can do.
this shifter has to be better then the clunker the bike came with. get good housing and that will be the best you can do.

@fooferdoggie

Sigh. Ok - ordering now, thanks for your help!

Will also get a new Optislick cable.

Do you have a replacement chain recommendation as well? I had to destroy the chain in order to get things safe to get the bike home. Rad just calls it a "3/32-inch derailleur chain".

@fooferdoggie

Sigh. Ok - ordering now, thanks for your help!

Will also get a new Optislick cable.

Do you have a replacement chain recommendation as well? I had to destroy the chain in order to get things safe to get the bike home. Rad just calls it a "3/32-inch derailleur chain".
get jagwire or shimano you need to replace the crappy housing the bike came with. a KMC 7 speed chain not sure what length you need. https://www.amazon.com/KMC-Z7-Chain-Speed-7-3mm/dp/B07NRFH81R/ref=sr_1_9?crid=2KFL3EHFQZLFC&keywords=7+speed+bike+chain&qid=1699550830&sprefix=7+speed+bike+chain,aps,147&sr=8-9
if you dont want to cut the housing take it off take it to a bike shop and have them cut a length for you.

Back