Recommended accessories for new ebike owner?

Diver4242

I just bought a new Magnum Metro and have a helmet and under-seat G Keni light/alarm and a Kryptonite New York lock to start out. What other accessories do folks recommend? I don't think mine has a bell, so need that for passing pedestrians, what about bags that will go on this rear rack for the Metro? I'd like some kind of handlebar mount to hold my phone for GPS or whatever. Is there anything to carry a small dog safely?

Any ideas/recommendations on common/useful accessories or farkles (as we call them in the motorcycle world, maybe the same here) welcome. Thanks!

For carrying a small dog, I like the doggyride cocoon:

DoggyRide Cocoon

Unfortunately it has been discontinued and they are apparently coming up with a new design that can be placed either on the front or rear of the bike. I do like their products and designs and their stuff is extremely well-made.

You will need spare tubes, a patch kit, and tools. At a minimum you'll need the tools that will let you fix a flat tire. I'd also recommend a set of allen wrenches and small screwdrivers to tighten things that inevitably rattle loose -- or maybe a multi-tool if you like those, there are some good ones for cyclists. This one is well thought of:

Blackburn Wayside

You'll also want chain lubricant, electrical tape, duct tape, cable ties, and an assortment of small bolts to replace ones that fall off. You might also want a pedal wrench. If you are into quick links, you should have a couple extras and a removal tool (they sell some cool ones that double as tire levers).

I love my Spurcycle Bell! That things rings out like crazy.
I also swapped out my stock grips for Ergon GP1 grips which have been far more comfortable.
Just added a Mirrycle mirror but won't get to ride with it until tomorrow.
Assuming your bike has a front light?

The number one accessory you should have: a good floor pump, because under-inflated tires is the number one reason why people get flat tires and/or bend wheel rims. You will also just get better mileage out of the tires with proper inflation.

A mirror. Really like the Mirrycle. Also, slime the tires as prevention of flats. I swear by it, having had both tires go flat on one ride -- and not a single one since. of course, carry patch kit, etc. But prevention is even better!

Here's what I'd recommend as far as accessories go:
  • Both a cycle bell and electronic cycling horn. A mechanical 'ringy' bell helps you clear out pedestrians. An electronic horn ($5 on aliexpress, ugh) has a sound that's too loud to be used indoors (don't try it!) and sounds completely evil outdoors. Not meant to be used at all unless a car is threatening your safety.
  • High-volume pump. If you had a mechanical bike you could just have one of those thin tiny pumps, but for an electric pump I'd take a large-ish Lezyne pump. Beware: check max pressure before purchase, this doesn't work for thin/high-pressure tires. And yes, get one with an electronic gauge.
  • Side lights. Get two white-colored ones and attach them on each side of your bike for extra visibility. Cheap and nasty.
  • Extra rear light. Yes, you already have one, but a second one underneath the seat won't hurt.
  • Not sure about your choice of rack bag but I bought a Tern Dry Goods Bag. I like it because once you unclip it it becomes an ordinary carry bag.
  • A bottle holder, but instead of a bottle, get a vacuum flask ;)

Here's what I'd recommend as far as accessories go:
  • Both a cycle bell and electronic cycling horn. A mechanical 'ringy' bell helps you clear out pedestrians. An electronic horn ($5 on aliexpress, ugh) has a sound that's too loud to be used indoors (don't try it!) and sounds completely evil outdoors. Not meant to be used at all unless a car is threatening your safety.
  • High-volume pump. If you had a mechanical bike you could just have one of those thin tiny pumps, but for an electric pump I'd take a large-ish Lezyne pump. Beware: check max pressure before purchase, this doesn't work for thin/high-pressure tires. And yes, get one with an electronic gauge.
  • Side lights. Get two white-colored ones and attach them on each side of your bike for extra visibility. Cheap and nasty.
  • Extra rear light. Yes, you already have one, but a second one underneath the seat won't hurt.
  • Not sure about your choice of rack bag but I bought a Tern Dry Goods Bag. I like it because once you unclip it it becomes an ordinary carry bag.
  • A bottle holder, but instead of a bottle, get a vacuum flask ;)

Those electronic horn looks amazing. How do people react if you use that within the city or on a bike path?

A couple of other things I thought of:

• A small LED headlamp. Or alternately, get an extra removable bike light. You'll thank me the first time you need to fix a flat tire in the dark.
  • Digital tire pressure gauge
  • Valve core remover
  • Handy wipes or a few shop towels in a ziplock bag
  • Webbing straps or a cargo net

@Ravi Kempaiah the electronic horn is a last resort measure. Typically I use the bell thingy with pedestrians and most of them give way if they can. But the younger generation has their ears plugged with earphones. Still, I use the horn sparingly. Its main use is for cars, because it's so loud that car drivers can actually hear it.

Last edited:
I started out with hardy any gear and added items as "stuff happened" after +4100 miles of riding. My goal is to get from A to B and back to A as fast as possible, as safe as possible, and without having to push the bike home.

What I carry for my ebikes for work commuting and trail riding are:
- flat repair kit with all the tools needed and a spare tube (used the spare tube twice)
- handy wipes, rubber gloves, folded paper towels, zip ties, Stans tire sealant, USB cable, mini wire cutters, mini needle nose pliers
- commuter capacity: with Osprey Radial 34 Daypack and Topeak DXP Truck bag with fold out panniers
- loud neon colored tops for cold, warm, hot, and wet conditions depending on the weather (extra space capacity comes in handy)
- Pearl Izumi skull cap if just a little cool
- light and heavy balaclava depending on temps, sometimes wear both when temps are below freezing
- extra headlight (Niterider 3600 Enduro Pro) and tail light (Light & Motion Vis 180) to be clearly seen in the daylight
- BM Works speed Extender for headlight and iPhone 6S Plus holder (Vibrelli Univ phone mount)
- front and rear helmet light (Niterider 2200 Pro & Light & Motion Vis 180). Only use helmet lights at night
- Brightz LTD LED bicycle light for night time side illumination
- WYND blocker motorcycle riding glasses (clear and Polarized). Got tired of dust, sand, and bugs in my eyes with regular sun glasses.
- OutdoorMaster Bike Gloves (half finger and full finger). Extra padding to help against numb hands for long rides

The extra bright Niterider lights are mostly for trail riding in the woods when I need max illumination. I only need to use the Niterider lights on the lowest setting for work commuting and they can last more than a week before needing recharging at that setting (less recharge cycles). Was only wearing G-Form knee and elbow pads when trail riding; but, now wear them all the time. Had one low speed road rash on my knee and a few close calls at +15 mph work commuting before I purchased the pads and decided to pad up all the time.

I saw a review of this gadget and thought some folks might be interested:

OneUp Components EDC Pump

OneUp Components EDC Tool System

Now, the whole package is spendy (about $120) but the awesome thing is that you can put the tools inside the pump with room to spare for a small patch kit or a CO2 cartridge. The only downsides I've heard are that the quick-link removal tool doesn't seem to work and that the pump doesn't get your tire pressure much past 40psi.

Back