Rebuild a Batavus to electric

Bob vd Dop

Rebuild for customer hisBatavus BXXS to electric, used a Bafang 36V 250Watts midenige, 36V 13Ah battery, 850 color display,44 teeth front chainwheel, rebuild the 9 gears rear sprocket to 7 gears sprocket, build a new chaingard, and tuned the bafang controller.
See the pictures!
IMG_0510.JPG IMG_0511.JPG IMG_0512.JPG IMG_0513.JPG IMG_0514.JPG IMG_0515.JPG IMG_0517.JPG IMG_0518.JPG IMG_0519.JPG IMG_0520.JPG IMG_0521.JPG IMG_0093.JPG

nice. that is fairly similar to the build I'm planning.

I'm looking for suggestions for components to buy and which to avoid.

Good job! Very similar to the conversion I did with the help of a local bike shop on my 1995 Dawes Synthesis Alivio Hybrid with a 36v BBS01. The motor I bought was a 2013 model with the crappy original mosfets that blow out easily so I replaced the controller with a BBS01 25a controller compatible with the pre-April 2016 model but using the better 3077 mosfets which I bought from Doug Snyder of California Ebike. My bike originally was a 21 speed so I already had a 7-speed rear sprocket fitted, I replaced the stock Bafang front chain ring with a 42t Lekkie and I find I spend most of my time riding in gears 3, 4 and 7, the bike shop did the work of replacing the chain and making sure the new front chain ring worked with the rear derailleur. I too wanted a chain guard so I used a 42-44t SKS chainboard, ommitted the SKS bottom bracket mount that does not work with a BBS conversion, and used Velo Orange band clamps on the down tube and seat tube that required me to drill a couple of holes in the plastic chain guard. The bottle cage bosses were too far down on the down tube so I had to bolt the rear end of the battery cradle to the top bottle cage boss and use a hose clamp on the front, it was the only way for the battery to fit inside the triangle. I bought a Bafang controller to PC programming cable from Empowered Cycles but it is sold out so I suggest getting one from Luna.

Last edited:
Back