Rear rack too weak: fender hits wheel

stakke

I have a problem with my rearfender and rack. The rack says 'max 10kg' and with my 2 Ortlieb Roller bags i will probably reach that 10kg. I've been riding with these bags for 3 weeks, no problems. Last ride my rearfender was touching my rearwheel, i can't get it off my wheel.

The 2 fixpoints are still at the same position so i think my rack is probably a bit bended because of the weight.
Does anyone have tips what to do?
Maybe a heavier rack with 2 diagonal bars instead of one? Is this possible with the original rearfender?
Other tips? Tnx!

hhXif3n.jpg

RNjkAWe.jpg

You can adjust the fender and/or deflate the tires a little. The tight fitting fender is an issue even if you don't carry heavy loads. I carry books and vegetables regularly and the problem is no worse than when I bike unloaded.

I solved my fender slippage using star washers. A search should turn up some pics. previously posted. A hardware store will carry them. Good luck no fun fender rubbing. I haven't had fender rubbing issues since adding these at the bottom of the bracket in a while, and I'm carrying some weight in my panniers.

Thanks for the info, but i think the rack is still in his highest position as you can see on the picture. So adding star washers won't help i guess...

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    886.7 KB · Views: 401
I have a problem with my rearfender and rack. The rack says 'max 10kg' and with my 2 Ortlieb Roller bags i will probably reach that 10kg. I've been riding with these bags for 3 weeks, no problems. Last ride my rearfender was touching my rearwheel, i can't get it off my wheel.

The 2 fixpoints are still at the same position so i think my rack is probably a bit bended because of the weight.
Does anyone have tips what to do?
Maybe a heavier rack with 2 diagonal bars instead of one? Is this possible with the original rearfender?
Other tips? Tnx!

I suggest you switch to 26 x 2.0" tires. Will only cost you only $45 instead of a new rack and rear lighting system.

Kinda hard to tell by photo (a little blurry), but it looks like it can (bottom bracket ),can go up slighty. Yours looks like a bolt head mine is a small allen head bolt . I also learned on a ride when mine started rubbing , that if you look from the rear you can see which way the fender needs to go, and just loosen one side and pull up on fender bracket on that side ( which will center fender on tire) has helped in the past.

Kinda hard to tell by photo (a little blurry), but it looks like it can (bottom bracket ),can go up slighty. Yours looks like a bolt head mine is a small allen head bolt . I also learned on a ride when mine started rubbing , that if you look from the rear you can see which way the fender needs to go, and just loosen one side and pull up on fender bracket on that side ( which will center fender on tire) has helped in the past.

Thanks, i will try that. Those millimeters might do the trick...

Thanks, i will try that. Those millimeters might do the trick...

And it did! The fender is back in place!
I might let those open holes of the rack weld so it's sealed and have no more space to come down again.
Thanks for your help!

Nice job! Fender rubbing is no fun. The new St2s, in pics. I've seen, looks to have solved this with much more clearance.

I might let those open holes of the rack weld so it's sealed and have no more space to come down again.
Thanks for your help!
I had the same problem last summer and was the one who made the post about the star washers. My fender/rear rack has not dropped down since adding the star washers, and I've ridden with panniers loaded with 30 pounds.

Welding is a drastic solution maybe design a fill-in with a 3D printer is maybe a option?

I had the same problem last summer and was the one who made the post about the star washers. My fender/rear rack has not dropped down since adding the star washers, and I've ridden with panniers loaded with 30 pounds.

Thanks, i will try this. You put the star washer beween the rack and de bike or between the screw and the rack?

Thanks, i will try this. You put the star washer beween the rack and de bike or between the screw and the rack?
I put star washers where the rack posts touch both the bike frame & the screw head. A total of 4 star washers are needed, two on each side of the bike.

I'll post some pictures tomorrow.

Welding is a drastic solution maybe design a fill-in with a 3D printer is maybe a option?

As I mentioned in a previous post I made a des!gn of a infill spacer as I noticed this afternoon while cleaning the bike the rear fender was not aligned. in the middle of the rear tire.
I made 2 with the hole in the center as this is my setting for the middle.
The des!gn is easy to change for other settings if needed in the future.
Will mount it this week to see if the des!gn is right.

ez3ffVkl.jpg

As I mentioned in a previous post I made a des!gn of a infill spacer as I noticed this afternoon while cleaning the bike the rear fender was not aligned. in the middle of the rear tire.
I made 2 with the hole in the center as this is my setting for the middle.
The des!gn is easy to change for other settings if needed in the future.
Will mount it this week to see if the des!gn is right.

ez3ffVkl.jpg
Hi Streumer. Do you mind sharing the .stl file for the 3D print. I can get it printed, I have no way of designing it. That looks like an awesome long term fix for stable panniers.
Thanks

Hi Neil,
First I like to mount it as I got no time left over to try it out these days
I don't share something not tested and working.
After I checked , I let the community know and who PM's me I will send it by mail
it is only 312 Kb.
Also think about that the middle position, maybe not the solution for all bikes?
I have the basic des!gn and can put the bore anywhere else, just let me know.
So give me some time to check and if needed make a V1.01

Thank you, that sounds like a good plan. I have not had issues yet, just want to prevent fender from touching wheel. Thanks

Checked and made a extra des!gn as for my bike I need:

Left: V1.0
Right V1.01

If someone want both STL files PM me on this forum with you email adress.

okEWSivl.jpg

Checked and made a extra des!gn as for my bike I need:

Left: V1.0
Right V1.01

If someone want both STL files PM me on this forum with you email adress.

Great stuff!!
Would you mind sharing the final setup picture?
Thanks

Went out last night,had to come back and deal with dry chain and rubbing fender. No problem with the chain but had to take the dremmle tool to the slots as they were at the end already. Also formed the arms so the gave some additional height. Not much room left for next time though

Back