Raising the handlebar on a '19 Vado 3.0

I use Ergon GP3 grips for that :) More space... Well, I'm perhaps pampered with the Vado 5.0 with its unique lighting etc. The only thing I cannot really use is the handlebar bag.

Of course, I understand your preferences Terry, just saying Vado is not the easiest thing for modding it ;)
I agree, routing the new shift cable and hydraulic line won’t be fun. Like you and a few others I’m an engineer which means I can have too much of a can do attitude that gets me into more work than I like.

I finally purchased and installed Jones bars on my Vado 4 2020. They provide 2.5" of rise and 45 degree back sweep and based on a few short rides I like they a lot. I'm more upright with less stress on my wrists.

Do you feel like your wrists have a bit too much outward bend with the swept back handlebar?

Other than that i agree that swept back handlebars improves comfort significantly.

Do you feel like your wrists have a bit too much outward bend with the swept back handlebar?

Other than that i agree that swept back handlebars improves comfort significantly.
No I don’t feel it’s too much. if you hang your arms Loose at your side and bing them forward and up 45 degrees is about the natural angle your wrist Are at.

I've recently had cervical disk replacement and my doc recommends raising the handlebars on my Turbo Vado (purchased Fall 2017) for a couple months in order to reduce the strain on my neck. I purchased an A-Head stem adapter but once I put it on the stem there's no way to get the handlebars back on the extended stem due to a lack of cable slack. I even tried first putting the extender on the handlebars and then trying to fit it back onto the stem, but the cables prevent me from getting it back on. I only need an inch (25mm) or so of additional rise but there's almost no slack in the cables.

Any ideas from this group? Many thanks!!!

Ike

@Vi60,
I have already answered your question in the other thread. Due to the nature of specialized stems used in different Vado models (Specialized Flowset in 4.0 & 5.0, Specialized Stealth in EU 6.0) the only practical way to raise the handlebars is using a standard straight "A-HEAD" 1-1/8" threadless stem extender/raiser of height of 65 mm. Here is a good news for you:

All Vados -- regardless of the stem construction -- follow the A-HEAD standard of the MTB (also of road-bikes). Here's how to install the stem extender:

This is a good A-HEAD stem extender/riser:

It is vital that the cables have enough slack after installing the extender. Provided spacers allow to regulate the stem height (the stem does not need to be raised to the maximum). It is also important that the long vertical bolt is tightened with such force that the handlebars can still be rotated freely but no slightest vertical movement of the steering column is allowed.

The practical outcome is you will sit in far more relaxed position on the bike even if the extender is relatively short. The reach will be shortened with an inch and that will also help to sit more upright.

I've recently had cervical disk replacement and my doc recommends raising the handlebars on my Turbo Vado (purchased Fall 2017) for a couple months in order to reduce the strain on my neck. I purchased an A-Head stem adapter but once I put it on the stem there's no way to get the handlebars back on the extended stem due to a lack of cable slack. I even tried first putting the extender on the handlebars and then trying to fit it back onto the stem, but the cables prevent me from getting it back on. I only need an inch (25mm) or so of additional rise but there's almost no slack in the cables.

Ike
Many stem risers are adjustable. That is, you can use the provided spacers to place the stem lower than at the maximum. Please move your stem a little bit down until you get some cable slack. Unluckily, the MY 2017 Vados sport a custom stem and you cannot replace it with anything adjustable.

I just ordered a fairly short adjustable stem, to be delivered Sunday. It's worth a try and I'll report back and let you know if it fits or not.

Many stem risers are adjustable. That is, you can use the provided spacers to place the stem lower than at the maximum. Please move your stem a little bit down until you get some cable slack. Unluckily, the MY 2017 Vados sport a custom stem and you cannot replace it with anything adjustable.
I

I just ordered a fairly short adjustable stem, to be delivered Sunday. It's worth a try and I'll report back and let you know if it fits or not.

I
Let us see how your headlamp and display are mounted on your Vado.

... raising the handlebars on my Turbo Vado (purchased Fall 2017) for a couple months in order to reduce the strain on my neck. I purchased an A-Head stem adapter but once I put it on the stem there's no way to get the handlebars back on the extended stem due to a lack of cable slack. ... I only need an inch (25mm) or so of additional rise but there's almost no slack in the cables.

I had the same problem trying to mount my Ergotec Ahead 3 stem adapter to my Vado MY18.

So I took the brake levers off and unscrewed the front lamp. After that I could mount the stem adapter and play with the spacers to determine the comfortable height. The possible maximum rise of 7.8cm is to much for me so I finally took the metal saw and cut off app. 2cm of the adapter top. I might even saw off a little more after some further testing.

It's easy to mount the chopped stem adapter. Brake cables are long enough but not the light cable. So I built an adapter from an aluminium piece to bring the light down.

Attachments

• Ergotec Ahead3 stem adapter.jpg
    Ergotec Ahead3 stem adapter.jpg
    357.1 KB · Views: 890
The light and control screen on my Vado looks the same as yours, and they may be mounted to the front half of the two piece "clamshell" portion of the stem (that encloses the handlebars). It's pretty hard to see through the maze of wires and I'm trying to minimize the number of times I unscrew the stem for fear of stripping the screws.

I had the same problem trying to mount my Ergotec Ahead 3 stem adapter to my Vado MY18.

So I took the brake levers off and unscrewed the front lamp. After that I could mount the stem adapter and play with the spacers to determine the comfortable height. The possible maximum rise of 7.8cm is to much for me so I finally took the metal saw and cut off app. 2cm of the adapter top. I might even saw off a little more after some further testing.

It's easy to mount the chopped stem adapter. Brake cables are long enough but not the light cable. So I built an adapter from an aluminium piece to bring the light down.

Soon after purchasing my turbo Como I tried to raise the handlebars using a stem extender along with the stock stem, turned out there wasn't enough cable slack to accommodate this setup. So what I did instead was tilt the bars up a bit and adjusted the grips for proper wrist support which worked reasonably well.
Recently I came across a suspension stem made by "Redshift" and ordered one with the 30° upright angle option. It arrived a few days ago and I installed it this morning. I have to say that I couldn't be happier with it, not only did it raise the bars to a more comfortable height it also does a wonderful job of soaking up some jarring road shock. Keep in mind the Como does not have a suspension fork as do most Vado models so this may be an unnecessary solution for raising the bars on a Vado.

Attachments

• IMG_20200705_132859329.jpg
    IMG_20200705_132859329.jpg
    338.5 KB · Views: 487
No success yet but I'm not giving up. The new adjustable stem arrived and it looked very promising. My game plan was to attach the new adjustable stem to the bike, but use the existing front half of the handlebar "clamshell" (the part where the light and touch screen are mounted) and attach it to the new stem. While the screws on the old stem and the new were the same, the width between the screws on the new stem clamshell was greater than on the stock handlebar attachment piece. I have no clue as to the proper terminology for these parts so I'm attaching a photo below.

I'm returning the adjustable stem, and found a different one online that appears to have a screw width that is narrower, more similar to the stock part. Hopefully this one works!
IMG_4373.png

My game plan was to attach the new adjustable stem to the bike, but use the existing front half of the handlebar "clamshell" (the part where the light and touch screen are mounted) and attach it to the new stem. While the screws on the old stem and the new were the same, the width between the screws on the new stem clamshell was greater than on the stock handlebar attachment piece.

I'm returning the adjustable stem, and found a different one online that appears to have a screw width that is narrower, more similar to the stock part. Hopefully this one works!

I had the same idea but asked Ergotec before I ordered their adjustable stem for the width between the screws.
For security reasons they refused to hand out that info and strongly advised not to mix the components.

So you better kick that idea.

I had the same idea but asked Ergotec before I ordered their adjustable stem for the width between the screws.
For security reasons they refused to hand out that info and strongly advised not to mix the components.

So you better kick that idea.
Yeah, I'm not surprised at all that they said that. I mean, they almost HAVE to say that for liability reasons.

No I don’t feel it’s too much. if you hang your arms Loose at your side and bing them forward and up 45 degrees is about the natural angle your wrist Are at.
Thanks everyone for the info on the vado handlebar suggestions. I was able to show some pics to my Specialized LBS and after talking it over, and trying a few in stock options at the shop, I decided to order a Jones 2.5 riser bar. I may also need to add a stem riser, we will see after the Jones arrives. Yes, this will necessitate running new cables. However their price point to run the cables is very reasonable, considering I paid $4500 for the bike, I'm not concerned with spending another $200 for new bars and cables to make the bike a dream ride. They did mention that they have to drop the motor (I have the Vado SL 5.0 EQ 2021) to do it. I also want to ensure the new cables will have enough slack to be able to mount a handlebar bag so re-running them is the best option. We also considered the redshift riser, which will also add suspension, but it has a 30 degree angle and will take the bars even further away from seat. It's not completely off the table, but not likely at this point. We'll see after the Jones bars come. Anyway thanks again.

So I've ordered (and returned) three different stems, none of them would work. The extender was too tall, and the two adjustable stems didn't match the front piece that is connected to the headlight and display. I rode over to my Specialized LBS who confirmed that the only way to install the extender is to also run new cables ($85). While the price seems reasonable, they are slammed with work and I didn't want to give up the bike for an extended delay in the middle of Summer.

@Vi60,
I have already answered your question in the other thread. Due to the nature of specialized stems used in different Vado models (Specialized Flowset in 4.0 & 5.0, Specialized Stealth in EU 6.0) the only practical way to raise the handlebars is using a standard straight "A-HEAD" 1-1/8" threadless stem extender/raiser of height of 65 mm. Here is a good news for you:

All Vados -- regardless of the stem construction -- follow the A-HEAD standard of the MTB (also of road-bikes). Here's how to install the stem extender:

This is a good A-HEAD stem extender/riser:

It is vital that the cables have enough slack after installing the extender. Provided spacers allow to regulate the stem height (the stem does not need to be raised to the maximum). It is also important that the long vertical bolt is tightened with such force that the handlebars can still be rotated freely but no slightest vertical movement of the steering column is allowed.

The practical outcome is you will sit in far more relaxed position on the bike even if the extender is relatively short. The reach will be shortened with an inch and that will also help to sit more upright.
Stefan, using the A-HEAD riser on a Vado with the Flowset stem...would or would not require swapping the Flowset stem for a standard stem? I'm asking for the wife ;)

I had my LBS install an extender stem on my Vado SL. I wanted them to do it in case the cables and hoses were too short. They did have a challenge mounting it with very little slack. Had to move the brake levers and shifter.

Now that it’s done and I’ve ridden a few times, it seems to be meeting expectations. My shoulders and hands aren’t hurting.

Last edited:
I recently went from the stock stem and 50mm riser bars to a Specialized Comp Multi Stem 24-degree (adjustable from 20 to 28 degrees with shims) and 80mm riser bars.

This is pretty much maxed out for rise without using a stem extender, and also without replacing the left brake cable. I don't know the total rise from stock but at least 4 inches, and a bit further back due to the stem change.

I'm finding it very stable and very comfortable.

IMG-1426.jpg

IMG-1427.jpg

IMG-1428.jpg

Thanks everyone for the info on the vado handlebar suggestions. I was able to show some pics to my Specialized LBS and after talking it over, and trying a few in stock options at the shop, I decided to order a Jones 2.5 riser bar. I may also need to add a stem riser, we will see after the Jones arrives. Yes, this will necessitate running new cables. However their price point to run the cables is very reasonable, considering I paid $4500 for the bike, I'm not concerned with spending another $200 for new bars and cables to make the bike a dream ride. They did mention that they have to drop the motor (I have the Vado SL 5.0 EQ 2021) to do it. I also want to ensure the new cables will have enough slack to be able to mount a handlebar bag so re-running them is the best option. We also considered the redshift riser, which will also add suspension, but it has a 30 degree angle and will take the bars even further away from seat. It's not completely off the table, but not likely at this point. We'll see after the Jones bars come. Anyway thanks again.
Any update and pictures for us? I'm considering doing the exact same to my SL 5.0!

Last edited:
Back