Raising the handlebar on a '19 Vado 3.0

Even the 5.0 is available but I can bet the Como e-bikes sold in Poland are Class 1. What makes me think so?

Class 3 e-bikes sold in the EU are of the L1e-B class or simply they are electrical mopeds by law. One of the items required on the L1e-B is the registration plate mount. Now, see these three pictures for Turbo e-bikes available in Poland (the top models shown):

View attachment 47977
Turbo Como 5.0 PL (2019). No registration plate support. Class 1.

View attachment 47978
Turbo Vado 6.0 PL (2020). The registration plate mount exists. L1e-B (Class 3).

View attachment 47979
Turbo Vado 5.0 PL (2020). Class 1.

The practical meaning is:
  • My (New Old Stock) 2017 Turbo Vado 5.0, Class 3, top-notch components cost me the equivalent of US$3540 in 2019;
  • A new 2020 Turbo Vado 6.0, Class 3, almost as good components costs US$5020 in Poland now.
Should I say anything more?
@Stefan Mikes you will be the last guy I argue re ebike knowledge.
engineer, chemist, ...

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I followed Stefan's advice and link to Amazon, and just installed the Delta stem riser. It installed and worked perfectly. It raised the bar approximately 3 inches and changed my riding position significantly, reducing the pressure on my palms and back. The front brake cable is a bit tight but just makes it on a full 90 degree turn. I took off the single spacer that the original stem had to more easily slip the handlebar on the new stem extension without having to disconnect the front brake cable.

Attachments

• IMG_1606.jpg
    IMG_1606.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 584
  • IMG_1609.jpg
    IMG_1609.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 525
  • IMG_1610.jpg
    IMG_1610.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 515
Thanks to everyone for the feedback. I followed Stefan's advice and link to Amazon, and just installed the Delta stem riser. It installed and worked perfectly. It raised the bar approximately 3 inches and changed my riding position significantly, reducing the pressure on my palms and back. The front brake cable is a bit tight but just makes it on a full 90 degree turn. I took off the single spacer that the original stem had to more easily slip the handlebar on the new stem extension without having to disconnect the front brake cable.
@Smichael911 made the best decision. Now, friends, be confronted with the seemingly "miraculous" Ergotec Swell-R Eco adjustable stem on my Vado...

1585145492097.png

When the stem is rotated up to the maximum allowable angle, the integrated 600 lm Specialized headlight is pointing up, or in the best case forward. No possibility to adjust the lamp any more. I need to add that the 80 mm stem in no way raises the handlebars as much as the simple 3" stem riser...

BUSTED!

Waste of money. It is not that one solution fits all. Returning to the 3" stem extender.

P.S. Finally it ended up with the 3" riser combined with the Ergotec stem mounted almost in the horizontal position (I'm not happy with wasting money). The Ergotec slightly increased the reach making the cockpit more roomy. At least that's good.

Last edited:
@Smichael911 made the best decision. Now, friends, be confronted with the seemingly "miraculous" Ergotec Swell-R Eco adjustable stem on my Vado...

View attachment 48177
When the stem is rotated up to the maximum allowable angle, the integrated 600 lm Specialized headlight is pointing up, or in the best case forward. No possibility to adjust the lamp any more. I need to add that the 80 mm stem in no way raises the handlebars as much as the simple 3" stem riser...

BUSTED!

Waste of money. It is not that one solution fits all. Returning to the 3" stem extender.
Yep, the stem mounted light has several issues. You've discovered another. I much prefer the current version with the light mounted to the fork crown. I changed my stem mounted light by adding an extension, see pic.0924191108a_Film1-1.jpg

The current version is only 205 lm compared to the 600 lm version I have got. If I had the current lamp, I would certainly mount my Cateye on the bar.

Oberst, I'm not sure. Fancy that you have rotated the stem let's say 60 degrees (or whatever) upwards. The lamp mount would rotate, too. Now, there is a limit of how much you can adjust the lamp. In my case, the whole idea of Ergotec Swell (to significantly raise the bars) was negated by the lamp mount rotating together with the stem.

@Stefan Mikes, that's why I recommended the Charisma style Ergotech stem over the adjustable one @Alaskan recommended. Since the Charisma stem extension effectively comes out above the steerer tube it provides more height. There is also an adjustable version of it, the Swell R 70:
Screen Shot 2020-03-25 at 11.41.43 AM.png

This may still not be enough, but I'll bet it's close. I actually have the 140mm version of this that I'm looking to sell since I replaced it with the fixed Charisma at a slightly shorter extension - but this one has far more height capability than that. The reason I got it so long was with the angle set steep and high I still wanted to have enough reach (per the earlier discussion on stability). It worked - but was actually too much additional height!

The current version is only 205 lm compared to the 600 lm version I have got. If I had the current lamp, I would certainly mount my Cateye on the bar.
I agree, the 205lm standard light is a running light. A running light is a good idea for all daytime riding. It's not bright enough for riding in the dark (or dim) light. I bring an 880lm handle bar mounted light 'after hours'. I always have multi-rear lights in addition to the Vado's fender mounted light, just to be sure the cars coming from behind see me!

My Vado has a superbright tail-light integrated in the rack, with the STOP light. It even has the turn signals but Specialized have not implemented that feature. Which makes my rides very convenient; I don't need to do anything, and the lights are always on with the battery on.

The situation with my other e-bike is I need to insert the CatEye in the handlebar mount and put the Knog Road Blinder R70 at the back of the seat-post, making me spend more time to prepare for the ride.

My Vado has a superbright tail-light integrated in the rack, with the STOP light. It even has the turn signals but Specialized have not implemented that feature. Which makes my rides very convenient; I don't need to do anything, and the lights are always on with the battery on.

The situation with my other e-bike is I need to insert the CatEye in the handlebar mount and put the Knog Road Blinder R70 at the back of the seat-post, making me spend more time to prepare for the ride.
I always use the standard running lights during the day, plus an extra tail and helmet light. As the light dims I add an extra handle bar light, 880lm. So much for US standards!

I do the same during the daytime with my Lovelec, using the CatEye and Knog at low power, flashing. I use 200 or 600 or 1700 lm for the front after the dark, depending on where I am (the highest setting only when riding through a forest at night).

On topic: My Vado upgraded with the Ergotec stem and still with the 3" stem riser. The Ergotec stem still gives me some opportunity for the further body-fit should I need it.

1585213635216.png

Last edited:
On topic: My Vado upgraded with the Ergotec stem and still with the 3" stem riser. The Ergotec stem still gives me some opportunity for the further body-fit should I need it.
I guess you know what you are doing, but I would never ride a bike with that many junctions between the handlebars and the front wheel. It makes me nervous just to look at it. :oops:

All of them fastened properly with the torque wrench. What might go wrong?

As we discussed earlier, it's the leverage on the steerer tube.

Here's a mod of your most recent photo: can you confirm that the top of the steerer tube is above the red line/arrows?'
1585213635216.png

If not, I'd suggest removing the bottom-most spacers until it is at least that high.

BTW, seeing the adjustable stem you got, it's no wonder it didn't help - that is a pretty short stem and so when pivoted to a high angle it's not going to give much additional height. I have the Swell R I posted about earlier in a 140mm length and that gives quite a bit of additional height while still maintaining enough reach. But, it's certainly not for everyone.

Back