Raising the handlebar on a '19 Vado 3.0

I had the same problem trying to mount my Ergotec Ahead 3 stem adapter to my Vado MY18.

So I took the brake levers off and unscrewed the front lamp. After that I could mount the stem adapter and play with the spacers to determine the comfortable height. The possible maximum rise of 7.8cm is to much for me so I finally took the metal saw and cut off app. 2cm of the adapter top. I might even saw off a little more after some further testing.

It's easy to mount the chopped stem adapter. Brake cables are long enough but not the light cable. So I built an adapter from an aluminium piece to bring the light down.
Not following your comment . Which I know has been awhile . #1 How were you able to evenly cut 2CM off evenly with a hack saw ? #2 Why couldn't you just remove the bars from the stem . Then slide the stem on and bring the handlebars up to meet that and re-clamp it ? AM I miss-understanding ? Last question How were you able to get Erotec conical stem spacer and stem riser in the USA ? Where ?

Not following your comment . Which I know has been awhile . #1 How were you able to evenly cut 2CM off evenly with a hack saw ? #2 Why couldn't you just remove the bars from the stem . Then slide the stem on and bring the handlebars up to meet that and re-clamp it ? AM I miss-understanding ? Last question How were you able to get Erotec conical stem spacer and stem riser in the USA ? Where ?
#1 I measured and marked it with a line 2cm all around the head of the stem (it is aluminium so it's soft metal) and followed the line while sawing. To get it even perfectly I grinded it afterwards first with a grindstone and then with a metal file, levelling it thoroughly on a flat surface. Painted the cut with Revell Aqua color acryl paint black matt which is the colour of my Vado. Sounds more work than it was.
#2 Removing the bar from the original stem wasn't a problem but once you have put the 8cm stem riser on top of it, it wasn#t possible to refit the bar and brakes over it. As said before you add the stem riser i.e. you put it in between. My cables were too short. YRMV.
#3 I bought it it Germany where I live but the bike24-shop sends to the US too:
https://www.bike24.de/p1373648.html

I've added marks to my attached pic:
the red marks the top part of the Ergotec stem I had cut by hand metal saw before the pic, and the yellow is a further cut I made after the pic was taken when I was shure I wouldn't need the further rise potential it represented (there are several spacer rings so you can adjust the Ergotec stem to the rise you need).
HTH
chopped Ergotec stem k.jpg

#1 I measured and marked it with a line 2cm all around the head of the stem (it is aluminium so it's soft metal) and followed the line while sawing. To get it even perfectly I grinded it afterwards first with a grindstone and then with a metal file, levelling it thoroughly on a flat surface. Painted the cut with Revell Aqua color acryl paint black matt which is the colour of my Vado. Sounds more work than it was.
#2 Removing the bar from the original stem wasn't a problem but once you have put the 8cm stem riser on top of it, it wasn#t possible to refit the bar and brakes over it. As said before you add the stem riser i.e. you put it in between. My cables were too short. YRMV.
#3 I bought it it Germany where I live but the bike24-shop sends to the US too:
https://www.bike24.de/p1373648.html

I've added marks to my attached pic:
the red marks the top part of the Ergotec stem I had cut by hand metal saw before the pic, and the yellow is a further cut I made after the pic was taken when I was shure I wouldn't need the further rise potential it represented (there are several spacer rings so you can adjust the Ergotec stem to the rise you need).
Hey thanks for replying : Do you happen to know the numbers for the cone shaped Conical washer . The one included on my vado just doesn't work well will an extension . If not no big deal

Sorry, I don't know.
that's ok Doesn't look like that website carries the part anymore anyway. My stem is the newer version that will set on top of the stem extension . I don't know how much stem that you had to clamp to. If I take off all the spacers including to coned dust cover which is 22mm. Then replace that with a 10mm-12mm . I'll have roughly 2 inch / 50mm to clamp to . Which appears to be close to what the Clamp is . So I'll gain about 2 inches in ht increase . Which should be enough. I'm hoping I can go back to the Oem setup by fall. Dealing with 5 ribs that were broken . They are 5-6 weeks healed . but have muscle and lung bruising all the way on both sides . Just need slightly more relax position . hopefully short term . Still labor breathing when leaned to far forward. Plus had Covid the month before all this other happened .

that's ok Doesn't look like that website carries the part anymore anyway. My stem is the newer version that will set on top of the stem extension . I don't know how much stem that you had to clamp to. If I take off all the spacers including to coned dust cover which is 22mm. Then replace that with a 10mm-12mm . I'll have roughly 2 inch / 50mm to clamp to . Which appears to be close to what the Clamp is . So I'll gain about 2 inches in ht increase . Which should be enough. I'm hoping I can go back to the Oem setup by fall. Dealing with 5 ribs that were broken . They are 5-6 weeks healed . but have muscle and lung bruising all the way on both sides . Just need slightly more relax position . hopefully short term . Still labor breathing when leaned to far forward. Plus had Covid the month before all this other happened .
If you are just temporarily looking to raise the handlebars, have you considered riser bars as a quick change? Have you estimated how much change you need?

Stem Comparison Tool:​

If you are just temporarily looking to raise the handlebars, have you considered riser bars as a quick change? Have you estimated how much change you need?

Stem Comparison Tool:​

I can ride a Trek Verve ok . Keep in mind I'm experiencing some shortness of breath regardless of what I do. I got pretty beat up. However sitting around seems to be making things worsen . Which is normal . I was thinking maybe 2 inches tops . Just enough so I take some of the pressure off my sides . I have thought of some type of riser bar as a temp solution . The Steering Tube extension is just the least expensive. I will look at the tool you suggest . Thanks . It's hard to search the forum and find all the stuff when you don't know someone already posted it . I appreciate the link

Here is an example handle bar with 84mm rise and back sweep. It might be easier to switch bars than stem extenders etc. You will probably need to replace a cable or brake hose in either case. You can try different scenarios using the comparison tool. Model the bike you feel ok on and then try to match on the Vado.

Back