Raising the handlebar on a '19 Vado 3.0

I found some bars that might work for you guys:

Ape-Hangar-ebike.jpg

I'm also looking at raising my Vado 4 2020 bars. Was looking at perhaps handle bar replacement. Two options are:
and ARCHER V2 or V3 CRUISER BAR. https://shop.fairdalebikes.com/collections/fairdale-components/products/archer-v2-cruiser-bars.
I not sure about the 45 degree back sweep, but a lot of people like the Jones bars.
Anyone try them?

That would give you 20mm more rise than my Deity bars. Plenty, if you're not trying to air out your arm pits 😆
[/QUOTE]
Certainly 2 3/4” is a lot of rise, but within what others have done with risers. I need to figure out if 15 vs 45 degrees is the better back sweep. The COMO has 30 degrees and is comfortable. I need to make a mock up once I get my bake back.

You will get plenty of great advice on back sweep, but in the end it will come down to what works best for you. If you want to make a safe bet for a first try, leaning on the conservative end, 15 degrees is not a horrible place to start. 45 would be extreme.

You will get plenty of great advice on back sweep, but in the end it will come down to what works best for you. If you want to make a safe bet for a first try, leaning on the conservative end, 15 degrees is not a horrible place to start. 45 would be extreme.
Thanks, 45 is a bit extreme, but there are a lot of reviews on the Jones bar site of people who love them even for trail rides which is more demanding than streets. As you said 15 might be a good starting point for $30.

HEAD compatible stem but the bike won't be the same.
Hi Stefan, Thanks for the great insights. I hope to but a Vado but want a stem that will angle up more than how it comes stock. Could you post a picture of one that you might choose for a 2020 Vado. ( The Vado appears to have a tear drop shape where the stem attaches to the headset and some bike shops have said it can’t be changed and others have said it can. I want to be sure it is possible before I buy the bike. )

@Vi60,
I have already answered your question in the other thread. Due to the nature of specialized stems used in different Vado models (Specialized Flowset in 4.0 & 5.0, Specialized Stealth in EU 6.0) the only practical way to raise the handlebars is using a standard straight "A-HEAD" 1-1/8" threadless stem extender/raiser of height of 65 mm. Here is a good news for you:

All Vados -- regardless of the stem construction -- follow the A-HEAD standard of the MTB (also of road-bikes). Here's how to install the stem extender:

This is a good A-HEAD stem extender/riser:

It is vital that the cables have enough slack after installing the extender. Provided spacers allow to regulate the stem height (the stem does not need to be raised to the maximum). It is also important that the long vertical bolt is tightened with such force that the handlebars can still be rotated freely but no slightest vertical movement of the steering column is allowed.

The practical outcome is you will sit in far more relaxed position on the bike even if the extender is relatively short. The reach will be shortened with an inch and that will also help to sit more upright.

I finally purchased and installed Jones bars on my Vado 4 2020. They provide 2.5" of rise and 45 degree back sweep and based on a few short rides I like they a lot. I'm more upright with less stress on my wrists. Seems to be a very comfortable riding position, much more natural for the wrists. Only downside at this time is the right brake line and shift cable are too tight so more to do. Right now I have the brake and shifter in an unfavorable location & angle. New lines are on order, but not looking forward to more work. IMG_3363.JPGIMG_3364.JPG

I finally purchased and installed Jones bars on my Vado 4 2020. They provide 2.5" of rise and 45 degree back sweep and based on a few short rides I like they a lot. I'm more upright with less stress on my wrists. Seems to be a very comfortable riding position, much more natural for the wrists. Only downside at this time is the right brake line and shift cable are too tight so more to do. Right now I have the brake and shifter in an unfavorable location & angle. New lines are on order, but not looking forward to more work. View attachment 57189View attachment 57190

They look great on your Vado... would it help the cable slack if you move the levers back to the grips?

1593472806680.png

That was why I wrote "the stem riser is the only practical solution for the Vado" earlier. Any other approach ends up with incompatibility with the Vado, especially with the cable slack. Been there, done that.

That was why I wrote "the stem riser is the only practical solution for the Vado" earlier. Any other approach ends up with incompatibility with the Vado, especially with the cable slack. Been there, done that.
Stefan, I understood that from your comments but I preferred more back sweep and the Jones bars provide additional space to change hand positions plus more room to mount a bag or light. Just a personal preference ; once I get the cable and hose installed all should be good. It will be good maintenance experience .

to change hand positions
I use Ergon GP3 grips for that :) More space... Well, I'm perhaps pampered with the Vado 5.0 with its unique lighting etc. The only thing I cannot really use is the handlebar bag.

Of course, I understand your preferences Terry, just saying Vado is not the easiest thing for modding it ;)

Back