Radwagon: How steep of a grade can it handle?

We ended up buying two Radwagons and they handle the hill just fine when they are loaded down. 200 and counting so far and just loving the bike.
Hi. Do you still love your rad wagon? Thinking of buying one. Have an 80lbs passenger to carry around at times. I'm a bit worried about the low torque. A lot of hill climbing in my commute. What has been your xperience in this regard?

Buy an electric bodaboda from yubabikes. Has a shimano mid drive that one can pedal unpowered w/o drag, and a 9 speed shimano rear instead of the kiddie grade 7 speed the rad has.
I have a 2017 pedal bodaboda (picture left) that I put a 1200 w geared hub motor on. Had a direct drive 1000 w motor previously, hated it. I like the 21 speed SRAM shifter for riding unpowered. I like having a 17.5 AH battery ($630) for longer trips if my hips are up to sitting that long. I don't run a car anymore.
Rad has a 500 W DD motor. Don't take a geared hub on a 15 min 10% grade, they will overheat & burn up. I have 4 15% hills and 73 others in my 30 mile route to summer camp, but they are 100', interspersed with downhills. I carry 180 lb me + 50-60 lb supplies outbound (uphill). Motor is for headwind days, getting really obnoxious now that the globe has warmed. I ride unpowered when the wind is okay.

Last edited:
Thanks. I love the Yuba boda Boda. It's just the cost is somewhat prohibitive plus I live in Canada. Kamloops
BC. No dealers around here. However I have been conversing with Yuba and my local bike shop to see if it could possibly be shipped here and they could assemble for me.
Would it save me more if I bought the regular bike and a kit separately? How hard are they to install? Trying to figure out if there would be a cost savings or not as opposed to buying a straight electric model as I really don't think I could do it myself. I'd have to get a bike shop to do it.

I have a 2016 Rad wagon and I've carry people on my bike on occasion. If your on flat roads, then its easy. Depending on how steep the hill is, you'll may need to throttle to keep you going. I've since added a second front 36v 350 watt Dillenger geared hub motor kit ($630) and have climbed very steep hills with it in combination with the rear direct drive motor. I think with a passenger at all times, you should consider getting a second front motor as well. It will put less strain on the rear and make the ride much more enjoyable.

With the dual motors, the bike will take off if you keep the front at assist (3) and rear at assist (2). The added 80 lb weight will help offset this. I've taken the motor off to try going solo, but after having 2, its hard to go back.

I enjoy riding my dual motor Radwagon more than the BBSHD and BBS02 kits on my other bikes.

Last edited:
Back