Racktime bags

Maybe a silly question but could your bag be mounted in reverse? Could you secure it by changing it 180 degrees. I ask because the web pictures from manufacturer show it 180 degrees different than this picture and I thought this may help with the clearance previously noted. It is great to have another ST2 member to the forum and thanks for your contributions.
I just checked, and it will clip-in in either direction.

I've learned to quickly insert and remove it in the 'reverse' direction, and I prefer mounting the bag this way when biking after dark so that the tail light is more visible. When carrying a heavy load, mounting it in reverse also helps with spreading the weight more equally between both locations where the rack mounts to the frame and/or fender.

Last edited:
I just checked, and it will clip-in in either direction.

I've learned to quickly insert and remove it in the 'reverse' direction, and I prefer mounting the bag this way as it keeps the weight closer to the center of the bike. I often carry a 6.5lb lock and chain inside the bag.
This provides more clearance when the "Racktime" badge is in the rear and that is also for a clip on of another light should you so choose, which would be redundant with our ST2's. Thanks for your guidance on the bag and I think it is a definite winner. I will post picture with that mounting style shortly. All of the above is in reference to the Racktime Black Box Trunk Bag

Last edited:
I purchased the Black Box by Racktime ( Art No T20040) from BikeShopHub.com and spoke with Brian who was an excellent help. I had no need for the straps to turn it into a backpack, and although not in the way, they did have to be lowered each time to expose the clam shell case zippers, thus they were removed with scissors to expedite access . The attached pictures are with the box assembled to my ST2 in addition to a picture of the case open. It has ample volume for a lock/wallet/ tire change equip/ rolled up change of clothes and that will about do it. I would recommend it for purchase if you desire something quick on and off for small commutes for errands to bank, but you will want more storage than this if you need to haul a computer or work essentials or to haul groceries, such as the Ortlieb Panniers @Ravi Kempaiah suggested in previous posts which are extremely nice and provide a true volume option. The two could not be used concurrently.

Probably overkill but you can buy as an option Article number 17009, which is a lock to keep the bike on the rack.

Attachments

• IMG_2435.JPG
    IMG_2435.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 1,925
  • IMG_2436.JPG
    IMG_2436.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 1,378
  • IMG_2437.JPG
    IMG_2437.JPG
    1,019.8 KB · Views: 1,041
Last edited:
image.jpg
This may be obvious to you but just in case ... I've tried to find a bag to put on the ST2's rear rack. After a couple of failed purchases I realised that the rack is manufactured by a company called Racktime. And an Internet search showed that they make bags that clip into that rack. I just bought one from a supplier in the US (bikebagshop.com) and it works perfectly. Racktime bags come in all shapes and sizes and have an inbuilt device that clicks into the rack on the ST2. Just buy the bag and it fits. They are also really well made.

I don't know why there isn't more information from Stromer about the rack manufacturer - maybe it's obvious for a European consumer. But it certainly wasn't obvious for me!
Thanks Mark_O i've been looking for a while trying to figure out what would attach to this rack and never realized the name on the back of the rack thanks for for the original post just got the new bag great addition to the bike!
image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I just received another Racktime bag that I'll be using for an upcoming multi-day tour of the Olympic Discovery Trail. It's the Racktime DoubleIt XL pannier.

GEjvS88PZqEc5abEBxku_bimoSRVmKq1xGYtDJgNYqqG=w1034-h687-no

psSB_pUmPj9I3ds_ivoAGRy_-jsBoGcWqZCQysOhcVcl=w384-h687-no

I did have one rather major problem with this bag in that the rails on the SnapIt adapter did not rotate inward to fit the Stromer Racktime rack like my previous Black Box rack top bag. I called BikeBagShop.com and they quickly acknowledged the problem and are shipping me a replacement SnapIt rail adapter which can be easily replaced with 4 screws. In the meantime, I'm using the rail adapter from my other Racktime bag so I can proceed with my trip.

Thanks for the pics. Those look like the bags I've been looking for. Thanks Rick and have a great trip.

OHM comes with RackTime too-- I can fit a non-racktime pannier no problem. Have one on side, and also going to order the Trunkit soon. Love the rack.

Thanks Rick for posting your pannier pics. Mine arrived today in red and they are very nice ! Excellent value, I got the trunkit and the XL models. Thanks for mentioning about the adapter needed for the XL double panniers . I like the rain cover that comes in its little pocket. I had to move the bag back so my heals don't hit the bag while peddling. Still got to do some mods. but I've finally got some good bags. You can tell alot of thought went in to designing them. Sure looks better than the red plastic Coca Cola one I had zip tied on there. Thanks again J fane and Mark - o too

I went for a 50 mile test ride with the pannier loaded with about 30 lbs of gear this week, and it held up well. I installed internal-star lock washers on the rack's height adjustment screws, near the rear hub, to make sure the rack would not slide down when riding over large bumps while loaded with all that weight.

I had to move the bag back so my heals don't hit the bag while peddling.
If it's mounted backwards, the bag will get in the way of your pedalling. The correct direction is to have the white reflector strips facing towards the rear.

Last edited:
Thanks Rick. That's right I'll switch it. I just wanted to get them on , but missed seeing those reflector strips. Can't wait to try them out . Brian was sure helpful when ordering over the phone.

Racktime DoubleIt XL pannier.
Very nice, huge!!! I like those, they look as big as the hard saddle bags on my Harley Dresser. How does the bike feel/ride with 30 extra pounds? How much weight can the bags take?

Did some more modifications to my xl panniers . I spun it around so reflector strips are to the rear. I added a thin piece of plywood under bag about 1/4 in. not quite to help support bag , I'll add another if needed. mine hangs over end of rack about 4 in. also put those star washers on. Don't want that fender slipping and rubbing the tire. Will get back with more after road test . I guess my feet are big is why I have it so rearward. Carefull one of the bolts is longer on the bottom of the rack. The one that goes through the torque sensor. Dont forget blue locktite.

Last edited:
Very nice, huge!!! I like those, they look as big as the hard saddle bags on my Harley Dresser. How does the bike feel/ride with 30 extra pounds? How much weight can the bags take?
The bike actually rides really nice with the extra weight. It just takes more time to accelerate to a given speed, after that the bike just cruises. The extra weight gives the sensation of less rolling resistance, but its really just the result of having more mass: slower acceleration & slower deceleration. In other words forces that normally act to slow you down (wind, bumps, etc.) have less effect on changing your speed due to the extra mass.

I'm not sure about the weight capacity of the bag, but I presume that it exceeds than the weight capacity of the rack which is 17kg/37lbs.

The bag does overhang the back of the rack by about 4 inches, so it obscures the view of the rear light. I didn't have to add any additional support to the bag, as it fills out to its intended shape when loaded. No sagging. I did take care to balance the weight between sides and placed heavier items towards the front of the bag as it is better supported by the rack (as a result of the rear overhang).

Last edited:
One note about both of my Racktime bags (DoubleIt XL & Black Box Rack Top Bag) is that they both obscure the view of the rear light. I've found a bright, omni-directional light that can easily be attached to the loops on the back of both bags: the Niteflux RedZone light.

It is a bright light that has high visibility from all directions so that you will get noticed. I was leaning towards getting the Orfos Flare, but just couldn't find a suitable way to mount it.

I found my ST2 rack has cracked at cross support (weld broken) at the back next to the light on left side . I will have a warranty replacement of rack done by my dealer this weekend. I don't ever put much weight in bag. 3200 miles of fun so far. I use the Trunk-it Bag all the time sometime carry 2 liters of water in a platypus bag. Probably just a bad weld at MFG.

I found my ST2 rack has cracked at cross support (weld broken) at the back next to the light on left side . I will have a warranty replacement of rack done by my dealer this weekend. I don't ever put much weight in bag. 3200 miles of fun so far. I use the Trunk-it Bag all the time sometime carry 2 liters of water in a platypus bag. Probably just a bad weld at MFG.

The earlier batch of 2015's had 10kg limit but recently I noticed that they have upped that limit to 17kg (perhaps a stronger tube?)
which is safe for 30lbs loads. I hope you get the 17kg version.

Back