Commuter Bike Setup

The problem with most baskets is that they attach to the handlebar and create a dangerous flop in steering. Also the weight is high. That is bad. Instead get a rear rack and a pannier. The weight will be low and not impact steering.
I'm referring to a basket that would mount to the rear rack, not a handlebar basket. I have a rear rack installed on the bike already. My concern with panniers are if they make the weight unbalanced if I only use one.
 
My concern with panniers are if they make the weight unbalanced if I only use one.

Not a deal-killer in normal use. You adapt to the minor unbalance without thinking. Might be different with a very heavy single pannier, but guessing you're not hauling rock most days.

What you might notice, though, is the difference in handling when you carry the same weight low in a pannier vs. high on a rack.
 
Not a deal-killer in normal use. You adapt to the minor unbalance without thinking. Might be different with a very heavy single pannier, but guessing you're not hauling rock most days.

What you might notice, though, is the difference in handling when you carry the same weight low in a pannier vs. high on a rack.
I'd argue my work laptop is a rock. It's a 14" laptop and weighs over 5 lbs. That doesn't even factor in the charging cable and everything else needed to take to and from the office.
 
I'd argue my work laptop is a rock. It's a 14" laptop and weighs over 5 lbs. That doesn't even factor in the charging cable and everything else needed to take to and from the office.

Try and see how even a single 10 lb panier feels. Not a deal-killer.
 
Back