Rack options on a Giant Fathom Hardtail eMTB

RandallS

Region
Canada
City
Calgary
Anyone have one of these on a Hard Tail eMTB or do you have an opinion on it's suitability?

When I'm on city paths and roads, and doing city stuff, I want to carry more things like locks and maybe some groceries from time to time.

Giant Metro Lite.JPG

I am also considering a quick release beam rack, but I am rather unsure about their durability and functionality with panniers (which I have already).

Giant Beam Rack.JPG

There's no stock of either in Canada that I can find, but before I play the US/Canada shipping game, I would prefer to get some feedback if possible.
Total Prices are reasonably comparable after exchange rates.

TIA for any thoughts, opinions or suggestions.

I have the Metro rack, which is close to that top picture but not exact, on my Toughroad and I have to say it is rock solid. Have to take the wheel off to mount it, since it screws on from the inside of the seat stays, but it's like it is part of the frame ever since.

Sorry I don't. But have been thinking about it. Reason I'm thinking seatpost mount is quick removal for those dirt days.
We are on the same page with that. The seatpost mount on the version I can get in Canada direct from Giant doesn't have a quick release.

My concern is for non-dirt days, I want accessories that can't go "Walkies" too easily.

Paralysis by analysis kicking in...

We are on the same page with that. The seatpost mount on the version I can get in Canada direct from Giant doesn't have a quick release.

My concern is for non-dirt days, I want accessories that can't go "Walkies" too easily.

Paralysis by analysis kicking in...
Yeah, I get the theft concerns for sure. Some people are using a small cable to loop through seats and racks. Not sure that would deter anyone other than the most casual opportunist thief.
I think I could get my bike lock through the frame/wheel/rack, but not sure. That always depends on what is available to hook up to.
For shopping I'd like pannier. For casual trail I'd like a trunk bag. Either one would come into the store with me.

My favorite adult beverage stop when cycling is extra good as they have good spots to lock up, and I don't have to worry about gear. A light cable through seat and rack is all I need, and would consider even looping the helmet too.

Grocery shopping is different - too out of the way for me to be comfortable at all 3 local stores. I tend to rush through pretty quickly.

Now looking at this...

@RandallS you are lucky to own the hardtail e-MTB. There are many choices for you, and I think the racks from Topeak are very good. Now just image my trouble to find a rack for FS MTB with a dropper post... Only two choices: Either Topeak TetraRack M2 or Old Man Mountain. I went with the former but you really might look at the...

The nominal max load of the Old Man Mountain is 32 kg! (TetraRack only allows 12 kg).

Just ordered a MTX Beamrack (E-type) and the MTX Trunkbag as above. The place I ordered from didn't stock the side frames, but their pricing was better than Amazon on the rack.
It was $72.00 vs $131 on Amazon - both in $CDN.

Amazon had the bag cheaper, but I thought I'd buy from a Canadian store instead (Canadabicycleparts.com).
I'll likely have to use Amazon to get the side frames if and when I go that way.

Just ordered a MTX Beamrack (E-type) and the MTX Trunkbag as above. The place I ordered from didn't stock the side frames, but their pricing was better than Amazon on the rack.
It was $72.00 vs $131 on Amazon - both in $CDN.

Amazon had the bag cheaper, but I thought I'd buy from a Canadian store instead (Canadabicycleparts.com).
I'll likely have to use Amazon to get the side frames if and when I go that way.
Nice! I didn't know about that shop. Thanks for the headsup!

CanadaBicycleparts sent me an email stating that their online system misrepresented availability. They've cancelled my order...

Yes I understand the realities of supply chain disruption, but pretty lame to blame it in this case.
It is NOT THAT HARD to maintain a current stock availability database - if you need to order from supplier, state that!

As much as I wanted to purchase from a Canadian retailer, I guess I'll have to order from out of the country.

Yes, I am pissed off and will likely write them off from my prospective supplier of "stuff".
I think I will go for a ride before my Golf match later this afternoon to calm down.

First world problems...
;-)

Randall, no need to be so upset, although I can understand your feelings very well. I had similar experiences myself in Poland: an item ordered, turned out to be unavailable, order cancelled, money returned. Now, I'm buying online only from those Polish online stores that are trustworthy, or, more often, I order the goods from German or Czech online stores that ship to Poland. Sometimes it is an exhilarating experience: I order something in Germany, pay a premium on DHL delivery, and get the thing as fast as 23 hours from the time the order was taken! It is so good to live in the UE... It was exactly my experience on buying the Topeak Tetrarack M2 from Rose Bikes in Germany!

Cheer up!

CanadaBicycleparts sent me an email stating that their online system misrepresented availability. They've cancelled my order...

Yes I understand the realities of supply chain disruption, but pretty lame to blame it in this case.
It is NOT THAT HARD to maintain a current stock availability database - if you need to order from supplier, state that!

As much as I wanted to purchase from a Canadian retailer, I guess I'll have to order from out of the country.

Yes, I am pissed off and will likely write them off from my prospective supplier of "stuff".
I think I will go for a ride before my Golf match later this afternoon to calm down.

First world problems...
;-)
Rats! Looked like such a great option! Chain Reaction has shipped and the items are in Ohio already. Delivery date is this Friday.
Don't mean to pee you off, just sharing the experience so far.
Best of luck mate, and here's hoping it's a birdie kind of day!

Best of luck mate, and here's hoping it's a birdie kind of day!
Two weeks ago, 9 hole match, 3 birdies, 2 pars and 4 doubles. Talk about Jekyll and Hyde golf!
Halved the match which was a fair result.

We were laughing most of the way, and the beers were cold and tasty afterwards.

I am going to wait and see what you think of your order (once you get it) before I start again.
I "technically" have a postal address in Montana for cross border shopping - so I'll wait to see how your import process goes.

I am interested to see how your stuff gets through customs - UPS gouges the hell out of us Canadians.
They must be paying their customs brokers a thousand bucks an hour!

Two weeks ago, 9 hole match, 3 birdies, 2 pars and 4 doubles. Talk about Jekyll and Hyde golf!
Halved the match which was a fair result.

We were laughing most of the way, and the beers were cold and tasty afterwards.

I am going to wait and see what you think of your order (once you get it) before I start again.
I "technically" have a postal address in Montana for cross border shopping - so I'll wait to see how your import process goes.

I am interested to see how your stuff gets through customs - UPS gouges the hell out of us Canadians.
They must be paying their customs brokers a thousand bucks an hour!
Yeah, there were two shipping methods offered:
1) Free, and you deal with whatever customs holdups and costs associated
2) $65 CAD to prepay customs/duties expedition
I went with option 2 as I felt it would shorten the shipping times and hopefully bypass any border BS.
Both choices had the same expected delivery times BTW. DHL shows Friday by end of day.
Fingers crossed.

Back