Getting Ready for a pending ride........

Nvreloader

Region
USA
I am getting ready for a pending ride starting after the snow is gone, May/June?
(Right now there is 2-4'+ of snow on the trail).
This will be about a 120+ mile ride one way, my plan is taking 1-2 days with a sleep over,
along the trail, Unknown yet?
This will be the trip location and final destination: https://tahoepyramidtrail.org/,
here are the main trail sections :
https://tahoepyramidtrail.org/tahoe-pyramid-trail-sections-overview/,
if you care to look at them.

I'll be starting at Lake Tahoe and going down river, instead of riding uphill.....LOL
Since this is a long way to ride, (I get between 80-110 miles on dual batteries),
I plan on carrying 2 extra batteries for back up.

The question I have is this,
How is the best way to carry/safely protect these 2 batteries,
which are 18" long by 3-1/2" square and weigh approximately 8# each,
(and not burn up this beautiful trail/forest).
I prefer to NOT carry these battery's on my back, as I'll have a small pack for needed items,
water/food medical items etc. I have a back rack that is empty,
but don't like the Idea of these battery's being bounced around on my hardtail bike.

I do have a piece of 3/4" thick Dense Ethafoam, that I can wrap around them
and provide a softer cushion while strapped on the back rack.
I don't know if I'll be pulling my single wheel game trailer yet,
as I am waiting on some information back as to trail conditions etc.
Your thoughts and suggestions............
Tia,
Don

I carry my spare batteries in panniers which have inner and outer compartments. I put the batteries in the inner compartment and pack clothing in the outer for padding.

I also use these padded battery bags for added protection:

P1070604a.jpg
P1070605a.jpg

Carrying the batteries low in the panniers also improves the handling of a heavily laden bike by lowering the center of gravity.

low in the panniers
I agree. Get them low. Also wrap them in plastic bags to protect them from an unexpected water event. Since you will mostly be descending on day one, do you think you could do with one less, saving eight pounds? That means 8# less going up hill. I have seen videos of this ride. Epic.

Thanks 6Z
I am a little leery of using panniers, as I am afraid that they will get caught in the spokes, as 95% of my riding is off road and on rough trails, cow/game/wild horse etc, very little smooth paths..
I'll do some research on them.
Tia,
Don

Ped
I'll be starting at the Lake Tahoe Dam and going down hill,
IIRR the elevation change is around 3500+ ft,
there is a couple of small hills to pull going down from the lake,
but not much climbing, I would rather have the extra battery
just to make sure, than end up pushing this 100# beast.

I'll peddle most all the time, and from what I have learned,
the small uphill sections are not to bad for peddling, (I hope).

I met a biking friend in Reno, and he has rode it several times,
and I have been asking him questions about this trail/ride,
and I am getting wound up about doing it.
I had things planned for this fall, but it turned to winter over night,
so I had to hold out for this coming spring ride instead.

I have been using Google Earth over head sat views and I found some good horse trails that I can use to get from Sparks (Vista exit) East bound down to the Mustang/USA Parkway road.
The problem area will be from USA Parkway to Derby Dam, East bound about 4-5 miles, once there I can use the Canal Road to Fernley.

I am doing my home work now..........LOL
Tia,
Don

Last edited:

6zfshdb/ members​

I have been looking at side panniers, and like what I see so far.
But I do have a couple questions,

I have this rack on the back of my bike:

The problem is that there are several holes that the panniers can get into the rear spokes, and that won't be good.

Is there some type of HD netting/hole blocking material to cover these holes
and prevent panniers from getting into the spokes?

Your thoughts and suggestions...........
Tia,
Don

6zfshdb/ members​

I have been looking at side panniers, and like what I see so far.
But I do have a couple questions,

I have this rack on the back of my bike:

The problem is that there are several holes that the panniers can get into the rear spokes, and that won't be good.

Is there some type of HD netting/hole blocking material to cover these holes
and prevent panniers from getting into the spokes?

Your thoughts and suggestions...........
Tia,
Don
Most well made panniers I'm familiar with have a rigid back which rests against the rack supports and can't touch the spokes. They usually have a Velcro strap, bungee or hook on the bottom which attaches to a lower frame member to keep it from swinging outward.

The exception is the nylon bag style pannier which folds out the side of a rear rack trunk bag. These have no rigid backing and require a rack with cross pieces to keep them out of the spokes. They are also not strong enough to hold a heavy battery. The supports on the rack you linked should be sufficient to keep most rigid backed panniers out of trouble.

When looking at panniers, choose a quality set made of heavy gauge nylon which will support the battery weight. I usually pad the bottom with a piece of stiff foam to better distribute the weight. Also check the diameter of the rack tubing to make sure the pannier mounting hardware will fit.

FWIW, I've carried my spare batteries in panniers for years on some pretty rough trails and have never had a problem.

On my Austrian 3 speed where I shop with reuseable grocery bags, I hang box fan covers from the rack. There are dozens of box fans out for the garbage in the spring. Throw everything away but the plastic covers.
I love how diyaudio chops the useful part off of pictures.

Attachments

• bikeWTgrant.JPG
    bikeWTgrant.JPG
    708.8 KB · Views: 117
6Z
I have been looking at panniers, 4 star or better, and so far I have not found any that have the rigid back you have talked about.
Is there a special name they are called?
I have found several rigid HARD panniers, but I would think they would sound like a drum when carried on the bike, where I ride.
I have been looking at Amazon, is there a better place?
Thanks,
Don

Unfortunately, there are many pannier styles out there. It's often trial & error to find a pair that suits your needs.

Although there are many quality brands available, I've had the best luck with Arkel:

I have several Arkel's, including the T-28 and T- 42 models. My favorite is the GT-18 but it may be too short for an 18" battery. All have rigid backboards and use the same rail mount hardware. They also have oversize rail mounts for bikes with rack tubing greater than .5" diameter.

The rear rack on one of my bikes is more "open" than yours and these panniers work fine:

Stock (4)a.jpg
P1070450a.jpg
P1070457b.jpg

The pics show the T - 42's which I recommend for an 18" long battery. It can be placed diagonally for a better fit. There will still be a lot of space to pack other gear to act as a cushion for battery protection.

Here is an update,
I now have a 3 mini camera's mounted on the Wart Hog MD 750 bike,
one to the rear and one to the front, with a 3rd mounted on my helmet for general sight seeing.
All I can say is, I should have mounted these mini cameras, BEFORE I started riding this bike, they are perfect for showing what's going on around you. They take outstanding photo's/videos, and there is NO bouncing of the shots, just make sure you use a extended battery as the OEM batteries DON'T last long.

A fellow member posted on how to do it and the information is priceless, IMHO.
Here is the information:

Great information and the proper way to set everything up correctly.
If I can set it up and get it working properly, anyone can.

I can't wait for the TPT trail ride, I don't like the HOT weather we are having now,
hoping it'll cool off a wee bit, 105* is NO fun for me, even when riding.

Tia,
Don

Last edited:
Back