2018 Giant Dirt E+ Pro

AOE4

Region
USA
City
Boise
Hello I am new here:) I bought my wife a 2018 Giant hardtail e bike late that year , its a great bike. She has turned it over to me due to lack of interest. I tried the bike a few times off road and I have no complaints . My wife....bless here o_O thrashed the drivetrain twice after 300-400 miles each time, had to replace the cassette, chain and chainring. She cannot grasp the concept of being in the proper gear so as not to ruin the drivetrain. Not cheap to replace those parts. after this current drivetrain wears out I will replace the entire drivetrain with the new Shimano LinkGlide 11 speed components I recently purchased. that would be cassette, rear derailleur, shifter and appropriate chain. Time will tell how durable this recently introduced drivetrain group set works. In retrospect all mid drive motor e bikes seem to be flawed in regard to drivetrain durability. Why is that? am I wrong? . and why do new e mtbs still have drivetrains that are specifically designed for non motorized mtbs? i suspect the LinkGlide drivetrain has not been manufactured in sufficient quantities due to Covid decimating the workforce overseas. All you riders out there are you satisfied with your e mountain bike drivetrain durability? no way would I buy a new emtb equipped with a HG drivetrain. the Linkglide has all steel cassette cogs, Linkglide is not in anyway compatible with HyperGlide.

and why do new e mtbs still have drivetrains that are specifically designed for non motorized mtbs?
Because it is difficult to invent a new system that would be:
  • As efficient
  • As lightweight
  • As simple and easily repairable
as the chain/derailleur system. Healthy traditional MTBers pump good watts into their drivetrain, too :)

The key to keep the drivetrain healthy is to maintain the chain (degrease and lube often) and to replace the chain after the 0.5% wear mark. With a typical use that would happen at 1,000 miles. Now: With a modern drivetrain, many cassettes allow dismantling and only replacing the worn cogs (which are typically the two, three or four smallest ones). Replacing the worn cogs is a way cheaper than replacing the entire cassette. With pretty heavy use, I last replaced the three smallest cassette cogs after some 3,000 mile mark in my full-power mid-drive e-bike. With a properly maintained drivetrain it takes ages before the chainring needs to be replaced.

Are you aware of the new Shimano Linkglide drivetrain? advertised as lasting 300% longer than HG . they have invented a new system. Its not lightweight...you cant have it all :) would you consider upgrading to Shimano LG?

Last edited:
It will not save the chain against wearing, and it is the worn chain that is damaging the cassette cogs.

I respect your opinion, I always replace worn out chains, all that motor torque is a factor too...right?. The point is that shimano has designed a more durable drivetrain, it will last longer than HG . One can choose between Linkglide or Hyperglide to run on an ebike. I choose Linkglide because the cassette is considerably more durable. of course, maintaining a bike chain will make any drivetrain last longer, I comprehend that. my wife and I own ten bikes and I am very meticulous about maintenance. Would you be willing to try the new Shimano Linkglide drivetrain?

Last edited:

I will post a long term review. waited a year for the XT LG 11 spd cassette, finally available in the USA! :)

Let us know! I'll be looking into switching to linkglide when my current drivetrain needs replacement. Mid drive may have its pitfalls, but it sure beats trying to mtb on a hub motor...

I will post a long term review. waited a year for the XT LG 11 spd cassette, finally available in the USA! :)
Thank you! I wonder if you could ride for 9,000 miles on the LG cassette and how many chains it would take.
Would you be willing to try the new Shimano Linkglide drivetrain?
I'm not interested in any new technology unless other users have tested it in a long, intensive run. (I am specifically not interested to add any more weight to my e-bikes).

Last edited:
Last edited:
LG cassette.jpg
PXL_20230118_201558188.jpg
LG cassette #2.jpg

arrived today! definitely looks robust . very few of these in the USA thus far, I waited a long time for this cassette. LinkGlide shifter should arrive Tomorrow. will install when current HG chain is kaput. pictures of the cassette can not convey how robust this is compared to HG cassettes.

Last edited:
In your wifes defence, the 2018 giant had a power delivery that was vicious to chains - immediate engagement, high torque at low cadence and very little support beyond 70 cadence, which encourages shifting frequently and at relatively low cadence. Combine that with a freehub that only has 3 pawls so produces slack / strain before engagement - brutal. On my 2018 full e pro, I used the chew through chains every 600 ish km and replace the cassette every 2/3 chains. The best I managed was 1000 km with an XT cassette and a crazy expensive euro chain that was reported to be designed for ebikes but cost 2-3 x as much... Interestingly, when my motor was replaced with the pwx2 , I stopped destroying chains - my natural cadence crept up to 80 and those brutal crunches disappeared. The current XT cassette was 3000 km on it, I think it's on its second chain - the bike is now retired.

PS did you consider getting a more robust 10 sp ?

pps

Attachments

• 70D9056E-C3F7-41F9-94CE-FCD8E811DE85.jpeg
    70D9056E-C3F7-41F9-94CE-FCD8E811DE85.jpeg
    224.7 KB · Views: 113
that explains alot. she tends to start pedaling the bike in 9th gear and higher, that doesnt help, love her so much though!. the bike climbs like a goat, lots o torque. I considered purchasing the Box 1X 9 speed drivetrain however the reviews were terrible on this item. So its just not me who thinks this is unacceptable wear, thanks for your reply. I am going to keep the bike and and pedal assist appropriately. this Linkglide cassette looks impressive, the cogs are massive (and heavy) compared to the current XT cassette on the bike. all cogs are steel , I have high hopes for this new Shimano offering, with proper maintenance (yes! chain replacement) it should last 3 or 4 thousand miles. Have you seen the linkglide in person? no new bikes available with LG as far as I know. Nice espresso machine!. You replaced the entire motor? interesting.

Last edited:

LG shifter arrived today. LG Rear derailleur is very stout so as to handle the enormous LG cassette.
PXL_20230119_170323919.jpg
PXL_20230119_170457371.jpg

Back