Rack options on a Giant Fathom Hardtail eMTB

The M2 is only connected to the seatstays at four points with strong velcro tape. It is a mystery how it can work.. But it works.
I just watched the installation video. I think I'll stick with the quick release Beam. Hopefully the 9kg weight limit of the Beam won't be an issue. Every second week I have a lower grocery weight. Plus I have a good backpack.

My M2 is targeted at future carrying a spare Giant battery in a pannier. That plus some water bottles, tools etc shouldn't exceed the weight limit. Yet I'm cautious with taking the heavy load off-road. It is because the rack and the cargo belong to the unsprung mass and it doesn't work well in very hard terrain. That's how my DSLR camera was damaged (the repair will be costly).

I need to add the best and the only e-bikes offering suspension rack are some Riese & Müller models such as the Homage. Too expensive!

My M2 is targeted at future carrying a spare Giant battery in a pannier. That plus some water bottles, tools etc shouldn't exceed the weight limit. Yet I'm cautious with taking the heavy load off-road. It is because the rack and the cargo belong to the unsprung mass and it doesn't work well in very hard terrain. That's how my DSLR camera was damaged (the repair will be costly).
I bet you'll be fine. Something tells me that the weight limits are guidelines, not really maximum "break" points.

Interesting process of trying to consider different geometry.
The distance "A" on my bike is 8".
I am going to be adding a suspension post which has it's workings at the top of the seatpost and I've represented as "S".

The angle "D" from the seat tube to the beam on your version V is different from the one I was considering E based on Topeak's recommendations.
That angle will be flatter on version E, which is probably good, as it should bring the connection down lower on the seat tube.
Topeak Beam Racks.JPG

However, this may bring the gap of "B" from the crosspiece to the tire into jeopardy, as well as the space from the pannier hooks to the disc brakes "C".

Bottom line - until I have the suspension seat post installed, I won't know which version of the beamrack will work the best.

I do like a project!

MarkedUpFathomandTopeak_LI (2).jpg

Amazon.
Got it with the neoprene cover $128.99 plus shipping (not on Prime unfortunately).
Ordered on the second and it arrived today, via expedited parcel post.

The tracking shows the first tracking location as New West, so it should be quicker for you.

Suspension post installed, and with absolutely no adjustments to the way it came, it felt pretty good for 15 Km up on the hill near my house. I'm 210 Lbs (95 Kg)

Install was about 5 minutes, and it reminded me I need to invest in a small Torque wrench for my bike.

My 1/2" biggie I use on my car wheels won't work, so in the meantime, I used my "Armstrong" tool and used common sense (and checked tightness mid ride).

Before Saddle.jpg
SuntourNCX.jpg
SuntourNCX wCover.jpg

My old hub drive bike in the back. I am keeping it for the rest of the season so I can get some of my less athletic friends to go for some pathway rides.
It won't lose anymore value for when I sell it, as the integrated BMS is not working correctly. It doesn't affect the ride-ability but it incorrectly reports battery charge remaining.
It still goes 50 Km with minor hill climbs, and it's still a fantastic bike for road and paved pathways.

So far:
  1. Bell = Knog Oi Luxe (see below)
  2. Rear lite = Knog "PLUS Rear" (nice and simple - see pic below) It can clip onto seat bag
  3. Front Light = detachable one from old bike. MEC (like REI but Canadian - in top tube bag)
  4. Mirror = Mirracycle (excellent product - has survived minor stress tests)
  5. Bottle Cage = Specialized side pull
  6. Seat Post = Suntour NCX
  7. Seat Bag = Topeak Aero (shown below) with tube and tube repair supplies
  8. Top Tube bag = Rockbros (can still operate phone through the plastic cover. I sometimes put a battery in there to keep the phone charged up)

Rockbros Closed.jpg
Rockbros bag.jpg
Topeak and Knog.jpg

In the Top Tube bag is a multi tool, forward light, small roll of electrical tape, tiny collapsible backpack and I add a small wallet sleeve with Bank Card and some cash when I head out.
The Top Tube bag cannot be any bigger as it cramps my stand over space.
Thankfully it's soft...

So now I need to pull the trigger on the correct Topeak seat post MTX rack for this geometry. I am still thinking the "E" type will work.
Then I'll need to decide EXP or DXP if I think the side brackets will still work, or just get the non-pannier versions.

Suspension post installed, and with absolutely no adjustments to the way it came, it felt pretty good for 15 Km up on the hill near my house. I'm 210 Lbs (95 Kg)

Install was about 5 minutes, and it reminded me I need to invest in a small Torque wrench for my bike.

My 1/2" biggie I use on my car wheels won't work, so in the meantime, I used my "Armstrong" tool and used common sense (and checked tightness mid ride).

View attachment 61630 View attachment 61631 View attachment 61632

My old hub drive bike in the back. I am keeping it for the rest of the season so I can get some of my less athletic friends to go for some pathway rides.
It won't lose anymore value for when I sell it, as the integrated BMS is not working correctly. It doesn't affect the ride-ability but it incorrectly reports battery charge remaining.
It still goes 50 Km with minor hill climbs, and it's still a fantastic bike for road and paved pathways.

So far:
  1. Bell = Knog Oi Luxe (see below)
  2. Rear lite = Knog "PLUS Rear" (nice and simple - see pic below) It can clip onto seat bag
  3. Front Light = detachable one from old bike. MEC (like REI but Canadian - in top tube bag)
  4. Mirror = Mirracycle (excellent product - has survived minor stress tests)
  5. Bottle Cage = Specialized side pull
  6. Seat Post = Suntour NCX
  7. Seat Bag = Topeak Aero (shown below) with tube and tube repair supplies
  8. Top Tube bag = Rockbros (can still operate phone through the plastic cover. I sometimes put a battery in there to keep the phone charged up)

View attachment 61635 View attachment 61634 View attachment 61636

In the Top Tube bag is a multi tool, forward light, small roll of electrical tape, tiny collapsible backpack and I add a small wallet sleeve with Bank Card and some cash when I head out.
The Top Tube bag cannot be any bigger as it cramps my stand over space.
Thankfully it's soft...

So now I need to pull the trigger on the correct Topeak seat post MTX rack for this geometry. I am still thinking the "E" type will work.
Then I'll need to decide EXP or DXP if I think the side brackets will still work, or just get the non-pannier versions.
Downside is the seat bag doesn't fit very well now. Still useable for "dirt days" I think, but not nearly as neat and tidy as I would like.

So now that I have most of it sorted out, I'm thinking about an Action Cam with helmet mount. I don't think I want to start out at GoPro level, but something sub $100 to try out and see if it's something I really want to do.

As silly as it sounds, stopping and getting out the camera or phone, is often not aligning with my pedaling impulses.

But, as I expand the places I am going to go riding, I would think that the stopping and enjoying the views will lead to different behavior, and my Samsung phone, and Panasonic Compact Supermoon, will get a better workout.

First use of the new rack/bag/pannier system today. I went for an adult beverage run. I bought a 15 can pack of beer, and a 26er of both Luksusowa vodka, and Crown Royal.
Two rookie mistakes were made:

1) If you're going to buy two glass bottles of anything, bring something to separate them. Clinking and clanking over bumps is obnoxious.
2) On the way home I started hearing noises... tick tick tickety tick... I stopped and found that the ends of the elastic cords that fasten to the bottom of the pannier racks were lightly hitting the spokes on both sides of the wheel. Sorted.

As you can see, a 15 pack just barely makes it into the pannier. It's stable and in no way in danger of coming out, but you can't close the top.

A little lopsided.

The rack has a suggested weight limit of 20lbs as I recall, and this load would probably be around 15 - 17lbs I'm guessing.
Riding was easy. No noticeable issues at all with the exception that you need to be prepared for the extra weight when leaning the bike over.
The rack stayed put with zero issues. No shifting or moving over about 9km round trip with obviously half of that loaded down.
Tomorrow will be a grocery run. I will add the backpack to that experiment.

To fix the lopsidedness, split the 15 pack into two six packs and drink 2 while loading and pour the 15th into your water bottle. With summer temperatures, it's important to hydrate!

You’re making me very happy with this beam rack success story you’ve got going on, Dave. I just ordered that same V rack for the new Yamaha to see if that will solve my How To Carry Stuff issue. This is looking good!

You’re making me very happy with this beam rack success story you’ve got going on, Dave. I just ordered that same V rack for the new Yamaha to see if that will solve my How To Carry Stuff issue. This is looking good!
Cool!
I hope it works out for you Dave.
So far I'm really happy with it. I'll do some work commuting soon too. Surface Pro, lunch etc...
Are you going to get a trunk bag as well, or do you already have one?

Probably similar to your setup, but the smaller Topeak bag without the panniers or the expanding top section. I like the MTX slide on/slide off thing, and the bags themselves seem very well made.

I do have some smallish Giant pannier bags, the kind with the carrying handle section between the two bags so the whole thing just drapes over the rack. I’m thinking that won’t work without the extra frame stuff to keep it out of the spokes, so most likely I will pick up the Topeak bag at our local store who has a couple in stock.

Let you know in a couple days.

Probably similar to your setup, but the smaller Topeak bag without the panniers or the expanding top section. I like the MTX slide on/slide off thing, and the bags themselves seem very well made.

I do have some smallish Giant pannier bags, the kind with the carrying handle section between the two bags so the whole thing just drapes over the rack. I’m thinking that won’t work without the extra frame stuff to keep it out of the spokes, so most likely I will pick up the Topeak bag at our local store who has a couple in stock.

Let you know in a couple days.
Gotcha. Looking forward to your report. And yes, I feel like the Topeak bags are very well made on top of being well thought out/designed.

Back