R-M Delite rattling noise in motor

I have had people comment that at the price there should never be any issues like this. I disagree. It is not reasonable to expect something made by humans to be flawless, regardless of how careful the human. No matter how well designed the bike and build/assembly process, the human/error factor will rear its head on occasion. The ultimate measure of quality is not just a low incidence of problems or flaws but also the alacrity and thoroughness of the response to addressing them when they do occur.

I this case I feel that the answer from the bike maker could have come a bit quicker but I am not at all unhappy with the proposed fix or how it is to be implemented.

The bottom line has yet to be determined. That will have to wait, not only till the bike is returned to me, but also after some time and miles have been put on it without a recurrence of the dreaded creaking noise.

I just heard from the guys at LA Fly Rides. I must say that Hector at Fly Rides could not be more cordial, understanding, responsive and just downright eager to make things right. This is an issue that has effected several Homage bikes shipped to the USA. I don't know if it also applies to bikes shipped elsewhere. Riese & Muller has supplied a special tool required for addressing the issue, one for the east coast and one for the west. It is being shipped around to Riese & Muller dealer/service people on a fist come first served basis. They do require that such warranty work be done by an authorized Riese & Muller shop. As such the bike will have to be shipped to California for service. They are paying for a LBS to prepare and pack the bike. Shipping costs are supposed to be paid by them both ways. Assuming this fixes the problem and it stays fixed, this promises to be a satisfactory resolution to the issue.

The culture of an organization reveals itself in the qualities and character of its front line people. They don't get any better than Hector at Fly Rides.
I’m having a problem with my Nevo GX, the Rohloff hub is freewheeling. Propel sent a driver to Santa Cruz to pickup the bike and take it to their Long Beach shop. I couldn’t ask for better or quicker response to my problem.

I’m having a problem with my Nevo GX, the Rohloff hub is freewheeling. Propel sent a driver to Santa Cruz to pickup the bike and take it to their Long Beach shop. I couldn’t ask for better or quicker response to my problem.
Props to Propel!

Very interesting thread. We had the same issue with one of our Homage GX Rohloffs. My partner's bike made that "rocks in a tumbler" type noise and it was mostly replicated when riding at a decent speed and pedalling just above the freewheel speed - i.e. not appearing to engage the motor much. The bikes had their first service recently and we could not demo the issue in the shop. Anyway they tightened everything up and did a full service and it's gone.

Definitely only happened when you were sat on the bike and moving. Not on a stand. The noise seemed to be coming from from the hub area than anywhere else.

And, agree with Alaskan - we should expect great quality with bikes at this price point, but perfection, no. It's more how the manufacturer (of any component) responds when something or someone is having issues that matters.

I might have a play with the Gates app just out of interest.

hey @Scruffy's Human how about a two month update?
Hi there. Sorry for not replying sooner. I brought it in to my LBS and they determined it was a broken bracket (or washer, or something like that) within the Nuvinci hub. They ordered a New part directly from Germany and fixed it. It bows runs smoothly and just like new. Thanks to all who commented with your suggestions.

@Scruffy's Human a few years from now, someone's gonna buy a used delite making a jingling, and they are gonna google for the solution to this jingling, and they are going to land here, and they are gonna be like "yes this is it! Someone else had this problem! Let me scroll to the end and see what part i must replace!" ::Scroll scroll scroll:: "Drats it doesn't say!!1!"

So scruffy, could you show us the repair order, or would you be willing to find out what part number needed to be replaced, pretty please? The 5-year-in-the-future-guy says thanks!

@Scruffy's Human a few years from now, someone's gonna buy a used delite making a jingling, and they are gonna google for the solution to this jingling, and they are going to land here, and they are gonna be like "yes this is it! Someone else had this problem! Let me scroll to the end and see what part i must replace!" ::Scroll scroll scroll:: "Drats it doesn't say!!1!"

So scruffy, could you show us the repair order, or would you be willing to find out what part number needed to be replaced, pretty please? The 5-year-in-the-future-guy says thanks!

Good point!
Here’s the scoop! They replaced the original flat locking retainer clip for the Rear Gates cig. Here is an image:
1565107331956.png

Hopefully this will help the next person!

Cheers
Karen

Back