Quick-E+

My question is, would there be any problems replacing the stock Schwalbe One's with a smaller diameter Schwalbe Marathon or a Kenda Quick Seven flat resistant tires in regard to compatibility or anything I may not know about e-bikes? (did I mention I'm a newb?) I'm not really interested in going tubeless.. so, robust tires an light tubes are the way to go for me. Maybe someone has some recommendations about good tires I haven't seen. Love the site and love the bike!
I also wanted to avoid flats and put a liner in my tires. Yes, it adds weight and spinning weight at that, but we have E-motor to help accelerate that extra mass! Brand I used is California Bike Gear Stop Flats. I also replaced the one tube that had a puncture with a thorn proof tube (Giant from the LBS). For commuting, reliability over weight -- highly robust and light are probably mutually exclusive qualities. Zero punctures since I took those measures.

Excellent discussions, thanks for those that are sharing info! Very helpful.

I've just ticked over 2000km last week and noticed the spanner icon had appeared. Took it in to my LBS who said it had popped up to remind me that it was due for a *paid* service. They don't service the motor, just the standard bike parts (which i do myself). I let them know I just needed the spanner turned off.... and they going to bloody charge me to plug in to their diagnostic scanner for a second just to turn it off.

Connecting to the crappy RideControl app doesn't bring up any options to disable it... running "diagnostics" in the app says everything is fine. I haven't come across anyone here discussing / experiencing this issue.
Do any of you know a way to turn this off manually? Suggestions?

Other than that, Quicke+ (2019) is running pretty well. A few months ago it developed a really annoying creak which sounds like it's coming form the headset assembly ... likely needs taking apart for a good clean and re-grease since it's been a pretty wet winter here.
I've now got all the kit to go tubeless on the Schwalbe G One's. After a lot of indecision I eventually went with 'Joe's No Flats Tubeless' valves & liquid from a UK website, and 'Schwalbe Tubeless Rim Tape'. Planning on removing the existing factory tape from the rims and re-taping. I'm going to try inflate without using compressed air first... Will let you know how it goes with that particular setup.

Cheers.

Any tips on resetting the scanner icon? Same situation and I don’t want no downy lipped teenager messing with my stuff...

Suspension forks fitted! Need to head to bike shop to get a couple of small things to finish it off. Has turned out better than expected.

The forks are Manitou Marvel Pro 80mm travel XC racing forks. Tapered steerer about 5mm shorter than the stock steerer. Air shock with remote lockout, 32mm stanchions and pretty light. Got them from Bikewagon via eBay, delivered in 2 weeks to Australia so I was very happy with the transaction.

I was able to reuse the crown race off the stock forks which was good. Needed to move the front light up to the handlebars, I had some spare Problem Solver cage mounts so used one on the handlebars and removed parts of the light bracket to suit.

Also need to grab a 180mm post mount brake adaptor, will head out shortly for that to put the brake on the fork.

Mudguard is loosely attached with cable ties at the moment, will figure out a better solution as I want to keep it.

For the front hub adaption from 12 x 100 to 15 x 100 my local Giant dealer was absolutely zero help, useless actually and couldn't be less interested. Disappointing after dropping thousands of $ there over the years and recommending them to others.

So... I'm trying a couple of options. Currently mounted the wheel up with some 15mm internal diameter/20mm external diameter steel spacers. I ordered these off eBay and they're normally used for ATV axle spacers! Just grabbed a pack of five in random sizing and was able to get two of them to work. My longer term potential fix is a set of Zipp76 hub 15 x 100 front axle caps! They were the closest thing I could find that looked like they would work well. Still waiting for them to be delivered.

Things I want to tweak are the remote lockout setup, change it to a black cable outer and find a good spot for it. Mudguard mounting as previously mentioned and maybe get some contact film the same colour as the frame to cover the white paint of the forks.

Pics attached, any questions are welcome! Will provide ride impressions and some other tech information once completed.

Waiting for my replacement Speedbox 2 to arrive, then I will refit it and the 48t chairing. After that Project Quick-E+ will probably be done.

Attachments

• 20200102_105320.jpg
    20200102_105320.jpg
    472.2 KB · Views: 850
  • 20200102_130501.jpg
    20200102_130501.jpg
    471.3 KB · Views: 683
  • 20200102_130511.jpg
    20200102_130511.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 690
  • 20200102_130527.jpg
    20200102_130527.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 654
  • 20200102_130541.jpg
    20200102_130541.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 638
Where to get the stuff required to fit the suspension forks...

Those forks can be purchased here:

Or look for them on eBay if outside USA, it's the same seller (Level 9/Bikewagon). Not many suitable good forks around so might be worth grabbing at the price.

Don't forget a 1 1/8" starnut like this one, your LBS should have them:

You'll need one of these to fit the brakes:

For the light, you might have to rig something up similar to my pic above, just watch the cable length.

Use the crown race from the stock fork, look up how to remove a crown race on YouTube if you're unsure, just be careful doing it.

Front hub...my interim solution is these to replace the Giant endcaps:
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

I have the 15mm and 20mm of those fitted.

Have ordered these endcaps as my good solution and will report if they work:

Hope that helps anyone looking into doing a front suspension conversion on their rigid fork Quick-E+. Note that different forks may require different solutions with axles, brake adapters etc.

Last edited:
Hi @Alan111S would you be able to take a screenshot from Ride Control showing your software version?

My firmware was supposedly updated during a recent dealer visit but in Ride Control the software version for the bike still starts with 2018...

Edit: seems a previous post of yours explains the firmware version issue! I still don't get power bars or navigation on my display though.

Sorry @zoomzoom , only just saw this. For some reason, I'm not getting thread notifications.

Software Version is '20190801000'

Here you go ;)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200103-122421.png
    Screenshot_20200103-122421.png
    662.3 KB · Views: 494
Suspension forks fitted! Need to head to bike shop to get a couple of small things to finish it off. Has turned out better than expected.

The forks are Manitou Marvel Pro 80mm travel XC racing forks. Tapered steerer about 5mm shorter than the stock steerer. Air shock with remote lockout, 32mm stanchions and pretty light. Got them from Bikewagon via eBay, delivered in 2 weeks to Australia so I was very happy with the transaction.

I was able to reuse the crown race off the stock forks which was good. Needed to move the front light up to the handlebars, I had some spare Problem Solver cage mounts so used one on the handlebars and removed parts of the light bracket to suit.

Also need to grab a 180mm post mount brake adaptor, will head out shortly for that to put the brake on the fork.

Mudguard is loosely attached with cable ties at the moment, will figure out a better solution as I want to keep it.

For the front hub adaption from 12 x 100 to 15 x 100 my local Giant dealer was absolutely zero help, useless actually and couldn't be less interested. Disappointing after dropping thousands of $ there over the years and recommending them to others.

So... I'm trying a couple of options. Currently mounted the wheel up with some 15mm internal diameter/20mm external diameter steel spacers. I ordered these off eBay and they're normally used for ATV axle spacers! Just grabbed a pack of five in random sizing and was able to get two of them to work. My longer term potential fix is a set of Zipp76 hub 15 x 100 front axle caps! They were the closest thing I could find that looked like they would work well. Still waiting for them to be delivered.

Things I want to tweak are the remote lockout setup, change it to a black cable outer and find a good spot for it. Mudguard mounting as previously mentioned and maybe get some contact film the same colour as the frame to cover the white paint of the forks.

Pics attached, any questions are welcome! Will provide ride impressions and some other tech information once completed.

Waiting for my replacement Speedbox 2 to arrive, then I will refit it and the 48t chairing. After that Project Quick-E+ will probably be done.

Good effort. You could get those adapters spun up on a lathe - would be an easy job for a skilled operator.

I finally went tubeless on the G ONE's. I was so sick of getting flats every few weeks on my work commute. For those that are considering making the leap... it was actually pretty straight forward with the G ONES.
Replacing the rim tape was simple and I didn't need compressed air for quick inflation to bed the tyres to the rims. I just inflated with my hand pump. My advice, do a dry-run without sealant fluid for initial inflation to check valve seal and general fit (my valve didn't have a good seal, so I had to slightly widen the valve hole on the rims). Inflating without fluid also revealed 3 or 4 large gashes in the tyre where quite a bit of air escaped... I considered patching the holes before I added the sealant but was curious to see if the fluid would seal them up for me. With the tyre now bedded to the rims, I just took out the valve core, added the fluid and re inflated with no mess! I lost quite a bit of fluid through the existing holes but they eventually did seal up which I was quite impressed about. If I were to do it again I would probably patch any holes on the tyre interior first to save the fluid that I lost sealing the existing holes (lost maybe 75ml worth, I had to deflate and top-up again).

No flats since the change!! I know it has prevented at least a few punctures (you can hear the puncture hiss before it self-seals).

Last edited:
Tyres

After 2000kms, got a big gash in the rear tyre so am off the road for now.

Has anybody found a good source for the original Schwalbe G-One Allround tyres? Confusingly, there are 2 variants of the 27.5 x 2.25. The Evolution Line and the Performance Line.

These seem to be the correct ones:- https://www.bike-components.de/en/Schwalbe/G-One-Allround-SnakeSkin-27-5-Folding-Tyre-p59883/

These are similar but the logos are Black and seem to be from the Performance Line. Maybe these are a new version:- https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/au/en/schwalbe-g-one-allround-dd-folding-tyre/rp-prod193429

Anyway, if I move up to a 2.4" wide, people on the forum seem to recommend the Super Moto X: https://www.bike-components.de/en/Schwalbe/Super-Moto-X-GreenGuard-27-5-Wired-Tyre-p59906/

They have GreenGuard and are suitable for on and off road, with slightly more rolling resistance but more durability.

One advantage for these is that I can pick up a pair from Dyson Bikes in Moorabbin which is less than 10km from my house and not pay any postage

Thoughts?

Clearance maybe an issue with the Super Moto X. Perhaps more at the rear.

Would be worth a wander down to Dyson and see if you can find one on a bike there and measure the profile at the widest point. Rim width will affect the measurement but it should give you some idea.

Clearance maybe an issue with the Super Moto X. Perhaps more at the rear.

Would be worth a wander down to Dyson and see if you can find one on a bike there and measure the profile at the widest point. Rim width will affect the measurement but it should give you some idea.

Yes they seem to be 62mm. I've decided - I'm not going to chance it. Will buy a pair of G-Ones and fold up my existing Front and keep it as a spare.

Looking at Schwalbes Website, there are now 2 versions of the G-Ones in 27" x 2.25"

The originals are Evolution Line (which are usually better made than the other Performance Line)

However, notice the EPI (or TPI) which is 67 not 127 which is more normal for Evolution. Maybe it's a Typo.

The Performance Line are also 67, and they have very slightly lower rolling resistance but better durability. Slightly heavier at 680g vs 600g, But they have DD and RaceGuard (some kind of Puncture Protection)

Ugh .... just noticed they have a reflective band ...... yuck.

These are being sold by Chain Reaction here:-

If you want the original Evolution ones that came with the 2019, they are being sold by this crowd here:-

Last edited:
Yes they seem to be 62mm. I've decided - I'm not going to chance it. Will buy a pair of G-Ones and fold up my existing Front and keep it as a spare.

On Giant's website the g ones on Quick-E are are given as 27.5-2.35 (but your links are pointing to the 2.25 one, what is the size stated on the sidewall of your tires?), in that case going to 2.4 should not be a problem. Why don't you take a quick ride to the store , they can tell you if it will fit before selling you a pair.

Snake skin is said to be better for sidewall protection. What is your riding style btw? Speed, terrain ?

On Giant's website the g ones on Quick-E are are given as 27.5-2.35 (but your links are pointing to the 2.25 one, what is the size stated on the sidewall of your tires?), in that case going to 2.4 should not be a problem. Why don't you take a quick ride to the store , they can tell you if it will fit before selling you a pair.

Snake skin is said to be better for sidewall protection. What is your riding style btw? Speed, terrain ?

Hi Johnny, I think 2.35 is a mistake on Giant's site as Schwalbe don't even list that size. Just checked the bike and they are 2.25. I want:-

Low Rolling Resistance for Fast Commuting mainly
Balloon Style Profile to soak up bumps
Occasional Trail Capability

So with those requirements I pretty much discounted the 2" tyres mentioned in the thread. Plus I like the Rolling Resistance of the G-Ones

Only reason for looking at Super Moto X was durability but then I compared the weight - about 1,125g for those vs 600g for the G-Ones, which also put me off.

(Unfortunately my existing rear tyre is kaput so no riding the bike anywhere. But I could pop the whole bike on the roof rack !)

Last edited:
Hi Johnny, I think 2.35 is a mistake on Giant's site as Schwalbe don't even list that size. Can't check the bike right now (am at work). Here is what I want:-

Low Rolling Resistance for Fast Commuting mainly
Balloon Style Profile to soak up bumps
Occasional Trail Capability

So with those requirements I pretty much discounted the 2" tyres mentioned in the thread. Plus I like the Rolling Resistance of the G-Ones

Only reason for looking at Super Moto X was durability but then I compared the weight - about 1,125g for those vs 600g for the G-Ones, which also put me off.

(Unfortunately my existing rear tyre is kaput so no riding the bike anywhere. But I could pop it on the roof rack !)

I see, I understand your criteria but rolling resistance makes the most difference at lower speeds (<=15mph). For higher speeds wind resistance dominate so you may not feel much of a difference if you are going faster. I understand that in Australia ebikes are limited to 15mph so G-ones may feel better. Still, your previous one wore in only 2000km it may be better to go for something more durable this time(not necessarily moto x, just something more durable, it may be cheaper in the long run). As a reference my marathons after 3k miles still had more than half thread life left(I had to change it because of sidewall damage though).

I had very similar criteria, balloon tires and a little trail capability. I went for big bens (I have 700c wheels so my options were for balloon tires were limited). I am happy with how it rides but time will tell its durability.

Good luck

Last edited:
I see, I understand your criteria but rolling resistance makes the most difference at lower speeds (<=15mph). For higher speeds wind resistance dominate so you may not feel much of a difference if you are going faster. I understand that in Australia ebikes are limited to 15mph so G-ones may feel better. Still, your previous one wore in only 2000km it may be better to go for something more durable this time (not necessarily moto-x, just something more durable, it may be cheaper in the long run). As a reference, my marathons after 3k miles still had more than half tread life left (I had to change it because of sidewall damage though).

I had very similar criteria, balloon tires, and a little trail capability.
I went for big bens (I have 700c wheels so my options were for balloon tires were limited). I am happy with how it rides but time will tell its durability.
Good luck

I agree with the recommendation to go with Big Ben Plus tires... excellent protection and durability. ;)

1580528899111.png

Last edited:
OK I think I have narrowed it down. It's a toss up between these two:-

or

If anyone wants a 2019 Quick e+ in Canada, there's a good deal here:

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

I decided to wait for next september and see the 2021models!

OK I think I have narrowed it down. It's a toss up between these two:-

or

I was once thinking about those exact two tires and I really liked almotion. I'd say go for almotion but the widest one seems to be 2.15.

Was checking out the front wheel today to see what needs to be done to change it to accept a 15x100 thru-axle as opposed to the 12x100 it has now. Easy fix, the end caps just pop out, the rest of the hub is already setup for a 15mm axle. I had a 15mm axle from another MTB and slid it in to check the fit, works well.

I need to find a set of end caps that will work on this wheel for a 15x100 axle, so I will pop down to the local Giant dealer today and see if they can get them. Should be able to, as the same hub is used on the new Explores that have a 15x100 axle. Pics attached if anyone is interested. The setup is similar to a DT Swiss 240, but the measurements are different. Our wheels use 15267-2RS sealed bearings (26mm OD, 15mm ID, 7mm width) and the 240 uses 6803 bearings I think (26mm OD, 17mm ID). I think these hubs were originally based on a Formula hub, but good luck getting anything from them! End caps in the pics are for the 12x100 axle, the shiny bit goes into the hub body and reduces it from a 15mm ID to 12mm ID, I think there's already a 20mm ID to 15mm ID reducer installed in the hub from what I could tell. Everything 'north' of the shiny bit sits outside the bearing.

Hey, not really understanding any of this ^^^^, but it sounds like you would know the measurements to look for to replace the wheelset?

I have a dent in one of the rims plus spinning the wheel there is 2-4mm of side to side movement. Will take it to the Giant dealer LBS tomorrow and see if it is repairable.

Basically, I'm trying to look on Ebay or Bike Exchange for suitable parts ... so I have an idea of prices.

Hey, not really understanding any of this ^^^^, but it sounds like you would know the measurements to look for to replace the wheelset?

I have a dent in one of the rims plus spinning the wheel there is 2-4mm of side to side movement. Will take it to the Giant dealer LBS tomorrow and see if it is repairable.

Basically, I'm trying to look on Ebay or Bike Exchange for suitable parts ... so I have an idea of prices.

So the Giant dealer was typically cautious and said I need to replace it (which is of course in his best interests)

But anyway, I'm keeping it as is for the moment. Will see if it affects the way the bike rides.

FYI, the rim size is 584-21 which means 650B or 27.5" in diameter and 21 mm wide.

With the tyres in the end, I decided to buy 1 replacement original G-One for the back since my front tyre is hardly worn.

And I also bought a pair of:-

to put on once the G-Ones are worn out.

Thanks everybody for the input - got a solution that I'm happy with.

Back