Question about class 3 bike on Maryland C&O tow path bike trail

Great, thanks!

Are you familiar with the W&OD Trail)? If so, iit similar?
The W&OD trail is paved and generally in about the same condition as the WMRT. The northwestern half From Herndon out to Purcellville is rural / suburban with quite a few road crossings. If you want to try it, this is the section I would recommend. The southeastern half, from Herndon into Arlington, is used by bike commuters into the DC area and can get very crowded. There are also a lot of road crossings.

Class 3 e-bikes aren't specifically banned on Virginia trails but there is a 20 MPH speed restriction. I doubt you would have any trouble if you ride there in a responsible manner.

Others may disagree but IMO, the W&OD isn't what I would call a "destination" trail and, considering the high traffic in the area, not worth driving any distance to ride.

The W&OD trail is paved and generally in about the same condition as the WMRT. The northwestern half From Herndon out to Purcellville is rural / suburban with quite a few road crossings. If you want to try it, this is the section I would recommend. The southeastern half, from Herndon into Arlington, is used by bike commuters into the DC area and can get very crowded. There are also a lot of road crossings.

Class 3 e-bikes aren't specifically banned on Virginia trails but there is a 20 MPH speed restriction. I doubt you would have any trouble if you ride there in a responsible manner.

Others may disagree but IMO, the W&OD isn't what I would call a "destination" trail and, considering the high traffic in the area, not worth driving any distance to ride.
Thanks. I’m west of Winchester so as far as I know the WO&D is the closest rail trail to me. I do know the abandoned rail line from Front Royal down the valley through Strasburg and Woodstock along the Shenandoah River has been donated for future development of another rail trail so I’ll be volunteering for that effort.

I visit family in the Harrisburg PA area quite often, so I’ve actually ridden the rail trails in that area a lot more than here in northwest Virginia.

If you want to experience it, I would drive to the western end in Purcellville and ride east. The western end is the prettiest part and also the least traveled, and Purcellville is pretty easy to get to without dealing with the main DC area traffic. The whole trail is only 44 miles though. From Purcellville, the first 10 miles (to Leesburg) are rural and pretty. Past Leesburg you start getting a more suburban feel. Riding it to downtown DC would be a fun day (I used to love riding the W&OD to meet friends and ride around DC proper), but it depends what kind of ride you're looking for.

I do agree that it isn't worth a long drive, unless there is other stuff in the area you want to also see. The Leesburg/Purcellville section is easy to connect to some excellent gravel road loops, for example. Leesburg is a cute historic town with a lot of shops/food to experience (though I'm biased, I live in downtown Leesburg).

I would drive to the western end in Purcellville and ride east. The western end is the prettiest part and also the least traveled, and Purcellville is pretty easy to get to
Thanks. That’s closest to me, about 45 miles away. Are you aware of any other rail trails farther west, along the Shenandoah Valley?

Thanks. That’s closest to me, about 45 miles away. Are you aware of any other rail trails farther west, along the Shenandoah Valley?
Afraid not. I've done a few surveys and submitted comments in support of the Shenandoah Alliance, which is the (hopefully) future rail trail heading south from Front Royal, but that is likely several years from fruition.

BTW if you haven't watched the most recent presentation on that, its worth a watch: Shenandoah Valley Rail Trail Feasibility Study Webinar Especially from ~28 minutes on, where they describe the various corridor segments.

If it were me, I'd drive the 60 miles northwest up to Cumberland and ride the GAP rather than 45 miles to do the W&OD. The last few miles of the C&O Canal trail into Cumberland are also in very good shape. It's only a few miles longer than the trip you just made to the WMRT if you take Hwy 50 & 28. Just my opinion though.

If it were me, I'd drive the 60 miles northwest up to Cumberland and ride the GAP rather than 45 miles to do the W&OD. The last few miles of the C&O Canal trail into Cumberland are also in very good shape. It's only a few miles longer than the trip you just made to the WMRT if you take Hwy 50 & 28. Just my opinion though.
Having lived in Johnstown PA a long time, I’m quite familiar with the Pennsylvania section of the GAP, although I gave up riding back then due to chronic ankle tendinitis before I ever got a chance to ride it. My kids rode part of it with homeschool friends though. That huge viaduct across the valley below Somerset alone would be worth a drive back up there.

Back