Help understanding bike path

Pic 3, I'm taking the crosswalks and crossing like I'm walking, However, I had a similar path in downtown Chicago the last time I rode down there, and I followed the indicated route and took the exposed path to the left, It helped that a lot of cyclists do that, so traffic expected it.

The OP has never come back. Hope he made it thru this first six months of commuting,

In Bellingham, we have intersections where a sign is posted, across the street and up pretty high, forbidding a free right turn ("no turn on red"). Trouble is, it is too easy for a motorist to miss that sign, being busy looking for traffic from their left. Of course this is dangerous not only for bikers, but also pedestrians. It seems eliminating the free right turn on red is contemplated in our state, but I haven't seen anything definite about this. Admittedly, that will make me, as a sometime motorist, sad.

When I do have to make a left turn in traffic, I just act like I'm driving an ordinary vehicle, signaling, getting into the left turn lane, etc. I'm counting on drivers to prefer not to run me down if they can avoid it. I am fearful of the intersections where I have to make a turn, but there is no turn lane. It's the people behind me that I find scary.
There's a small "no turn on red" sign dangling from the signal cable near our place in NC - people behind me frequently beep at me when I'm stopped in my car, waiting for the green. I roll my window down far enough to get my arm out, and point to the sign.

Back