Question about class 3 bike on Maryland C&O tow path bike trail

BrianK

Region
USA
City
NOVA
Hi folks,
I’m planning to drive out to the C&O tow path bike trail in Maryland. Online, Maryland states this bike path is limited to class 1 e bikes with no throttle.

My e bike is a class 3 with throttle, which I need to get moving due to chronic weakness in my left leg from strokes several years ago. I do wear a brace on my left lower leg, and I can take my handicapped parking placard with me to verify that despite being able to ride an e bike, I do indeed have a permanent disability.

Two questions:
1) is anybody aware whether Maryland actually enforces their class 1 e bike regulations on the bike paths?
2) what’s the chances that if they do, they’d actually accept my circumstances as an exception to this regulation if they do stop me?

Last edited:
Hi folks,
I’m planning to drive out to the B&O tow path bike trail in Maryland. Online, Maryland states this bike path is limited to class 1 e bikes with no throttle.

My e bike is a class 3 with throttle, which I need to get moving due to chronic weakness in my left leg from strokes several years ago. I do wear a brace on my left lower leg, and I can take my handicapped parking placard with me to verify that despite being able to ride an e bike, I do indeed have a permanent disability.

Two questions:
1) is anybody aware whether Maryland actually enforces their class 1 e bike regulations on the bike paths?
2) what’s the chances that if they do, they’d actually accept my circumstances as an exception to this regulation if they do stop me?
Do you mean C&O?

The C&O is a National Park and their rules follow the state rules where the park is located. Two Maryland State Park trails allow class 1 ebikes, the Western Maryland Rail Trail and the Torrey C Brown Rail Trail.

Here's the C&O rule:

I've seen plenty of Park Rangers on the C&O, I've never been questioned in any way about my ebike there. I've heard from other riders that they weren't allowed, but they are wrong.

So yes, Class 1 are legal. Speed limit is 15 mph. If you keep a low profile, I can't imagine you'd have a problem. The trail can be deserted in the middle of the week. Weekends are busy and riding in some areas can be a chore. Picture driving Skyline Drive and getting stuck behind a Winnebago 😖

Don't assume park personnel (non rangers) don't know what an ebike is. I have a friend who's a park manager in Maryland. Ebikes have been a part of their training and bulletins since 2015. When I told him I was riding his park, he asked me the watt rating and if it had a throttle. Hence the 'low profile' comment.

Not a concrete answer to your question, I know. Just thought I'd pipe in with what I do know.

Best of luck, Brian!

Do you mean C&O?

The C&O is a National Park and their rules follow the state rules where the park is located. Two Maryland State Park trails allow class 1 ebikes, the Western Maryland Rail Trail and the Torrey C Brown Rail Trail.

Here's the C&O rule:

I've seen plenty of Park Rangers on the C&O, I've never been questioned in any way about my ebike there. I've heard from other riders that they weren't allowed, but they are wrong.

So yes, Class 1 are legal. Speed limit is 15 mph. If you keep a low profile, I can't imagine you'd have a problem. The trail can be deserted in the middle of the week. Weekends are busy and riding in some areas can be a chore. Picture driving Skyline Drive and getting stuck behind a Winnebago 😖

Don't assume park personnel (non rangers) don't know what an ebike is. I have a friend who's a park manager in Maryland. Ebikes have been a part of their training and bulletins since 2015. When I told him I was riding his park, he asked me the watt rating and if it had a throttle. Hence the 'low profile' comment.

Not a concrete answer to your question, I know. Just thought I'd pipe in with what I do know.

Best of luck, Brian!
Thanks J.R.! Yes, it is indeed the C&O so I corrected my post. Believe it or not, there is a B&O trail, in Ohio I think.

I guess I could teach myself to ride without the throttle, then take the throttle off and throw it in the pannier.

But I do rely on it when I hit the wall and push beyond my limits, which isn’t infrequent with my stroke history and changes from day to day.

Then I need the throttle just to get my sorry butt back to my car.

Thanks J.R.! Yes, it is indeed the C&O so I corrected my post. Believe it or not, there is a B&O trail, in Ohio I think.

I guess I could teach myself to ride without the throttle, then take the throttle off and throw it in the pannier.

But I do rely on it when I hit the wall and push beyond my limits, which isn’t infrequent with my stroke history and changes from day to day.

Then I need the throttle just to get my sorry butt back to my car.
It wouldn't hurt to call the visitors center at Williamsport Md and ask them about a handicapped permit to ride a non conforming 'assisted cycle'. The worst they can say is no. I don't think the NPS does permits, but they should.

It wouldn't hurt to call the visitors center at Williamsport Md and ask them about a handicapped permit to ride a non conforming 'assisted cycle'. The worst they can say is no. I don't think the NPS does permits, but they should.
That is a very good idea. Or better yet, limp in with my leg brace on, in person, and plead my case. (I no longer have much of a noticeable limp when I’m not tired, but it couldn’t hurt!)

That is a very good idea. Or better yet, limp in with my leg brace on, in person, and plead my case. (I no longer have much of a noticeable limp when I’m not tired, but it couldn’t hurt!)
Grey beard ... check. Handicap tag ... check. Leg brace ... check. 'What's your excuse' tshirt ... check. Park officials that don't want to explain harassing a harmless guest to the press... check . Hope you get good weather, Brian . 😀

Sadly 3-class state legislation has created a mess at the local level with some still viewing ebikes as motorized vehicles especially if they have a throttle. Obviously if the path speed limit is 15mph even the Class 1 riders will have to stay below the max assist limit so what difference does riding a class 3 ebike make? But don't ask the local regulators that as they don't like to be put on the spot.

FWIW, I rode a section of the C&O and the WMRT trails in Maryland last week. The only park ranger I saw was at the Hancock trailhead. He was more concerned about fishing licenses than e-bikes. I rode my class 2 bike there for 2 days and was never questioned.

That being said, I talked to a fellow rider with a class 2 bike who claims he was asked to leave the C&O by a ranger. No citation was issued. This is second hand information though so take it for what it's worth.

Whenever I ride in MD., I usually disable my throttle to conform to the spirit of the law if not the letter. It takes only a couple of minutes to enable it again should I have an emergency need for it. In disabled mode, the throttle controls the walk assist only at a speed of 2 mph. So far, I haven't tested this method with a ranger, so I don't know if it's actually legal or not.

BTW, most of the C&O from Williamsport west to Paw Paw WV. has dried out from the flooding caused by hurricane Ida. There were still a few muddy spots though.

I ride a 1500 Watt Bafang Mid Drive Fat bike in D.C. and on the C&O Canal up to Great Falls National Park. I have not had any negative interactions with law enforcement, State, Federal, or D.C.. I rode up to the U.S. capitol steps and engaged the uniformed division of the Secret Service, they had lots of questions about my bike, I told them it had a top speed of 40+ mph, but that I had programmed it to 20MPH. They all expressed admiration for my DIY Bike and agreed they all want an e-bike. I was able to drive on the lawn all around the Capitol Building. I met a group of D.C. Bike Mounted Police at the White House and they were all googley-eyed about my bike and had a whole slew of questions, said they just acquired a small fleet of electric bikes. The Park Police on the National Mall and C&O Canal are very friendly, nod an wave as I pass by.

Ride respectfully, and you should be OK.

Hi folks,
I’m planning to drive out to the C&O tow path bike trail in Maryland. Online, Maryland states this bike path is limited to class 1 e bikes with no throttle.

Two questions:
I'd also ask your doctor for a doctors note (ideally, with a prescription letter) explaining that you have a disability, and specifically that your throttle-equipped bike is a prescribed accessibility aid for you. That could come in handy at other times as well, so worth keeping a scan or photo on your phone.

It might not satisfy every ebike restriction you encounter, but I'd bet a paycheque it would keep you from getting a fine and just result in a polite request in the worst case. No city or government staff member wants to risk the PR nightmare that comes from denying accessibility to documented disabilities over the nuance of bicycle regulations.

I went out to the Western Maryland Rail Trail today with a good friend, and we parked at the Big Pool parking area access, the beginning of this paved bike path. He was riding a slick ultra-lightweight carbon road bike and I was on my fat tire e bike. We rode 15 miles west before turning around.

We rode 5 miles back and stopped in Hancock MD for lunch at BuddyLou’s Eats and Drinks and had an awesome lunch, then rode the ten miles back to the car. We averaged 14 mph.

No rangers in sight, so no hassles about my class III e bike. Judging by today I really doubt there ever will be.

So that’s 30 miles on an e bike today, a personal record, the farthest I’ve ever ridden any bike, either before or after five strokes I had five and a half years age that left my left arm and leg temporarily paralyzed. My prior longest e bike ride was 21 miles.

This might not sound like much, but when you’ve been partially paralyzed it’s an incredible blessing.

I went out to the Western Maryland Rail Trail today with a good friend, and we parked at the Big Pool parking area access, the beginning of this paved bike path. He was riding a slick ultra-lightweight carbon road bike and I was on my fat tire e bike. We rode 15 miles west before turning around.

We rode 5 miles back and stopped in Hancock MD for lunch at BuddyLou’s Eats and Drinks and had an awesome lunch, then rode the ten miles back to the car. We averaged 14 mph.

No rangers in sight, so no hassles about my class III e bike. Judging by today I really doubt there ever will be.

So that’s 30 miles on an e bike today, a personal record, the farthest I’ve ever ridden any bike, either before or after five strokes I had five and a half years age that left my left arm and leg temporarily paralyzed. My prior longest e bike ride was 21 miles.

This might not sound like much, but when you’ve been partially paralyzed it’s an incredible blessing.
Awesome that you are riding that distance but we really shouldn't consider the debate on the 3-class legislation based on lack of enforcement.

I think we should all just support the definition of a Low Speed Electric Bicycle in HR727 as a bike. States were supposed to just regulate "use" which does not include requiring a 20mph assist limit....use regulation would be having a 20mph speed limit on the trail if needed for safety.

If that was gravel you were moving at a pretty good clip as well. I am usually only 9 or 10 mph on gravel. Although young fit gravel grinders seem to do 20+. Pat yourself on the back.

If that was gravel you were moving at a pretty good clip as well. I am usually only 9 or 10 mph on gravel. Although young fit gravel grinders seem to do 20+. Pat yourself on the back.
Thanks, but I ended up riding the Western Maryland Rail Trail, which parallels the C&O canal, and that trail is all paved. I had to bump it up the pas 2 for 3/4 of it to keep up with my friend on his road bike, but I was pedaling the whole time.

Last edited:
I have a few friends who did the entire C&O in one long summer day. They shot for ~14 hours, including stops, so had to average around 14mph with the occasional quick stop for all 186 miles. I think at least one did it on a fixie. Starting in Cumberland its at least mostly downhill, and one of their wives ran sag and met them at points the whole way back for resupply.

20mph is awful fast on gravel, though the C&O is flat and usually graded pretty smooth. Despite living fairly close I almost never ride it just because it tends to be too crowded for my tastes. Even on the non-electric I feel like I'm slaloming through people at times. I'm sure once you're west of, say, Harpers Ferry its a lot more lightly trafficked. Some sections are pretty narrow too.

I have a few friends who did the entire C&O in one long summer day. They shot for ~14 hours, including stops, so had to average around 14mph with the occasional quick stop for all 186 miles. I think at least one did it on a fixie. Starting in Cumberland its at least mostly downhill, and one of their wives ran sag and met them at points the whole way back for resupply.

20mph is awful fast on gravel, though the C&O is flat and usually graded pretty smooth. Despite living fairly close I almost never ride it just because it tends to be too crowded for my tastes. Even on the non-electric I feel like I'm slaloming through people at times. I'm sure once you're west of, say, Harpers Ferry its a lot more lightly trafficked. Some sections are pretty narrow too.
Because my balance isn’t 100% from prior strokes, I prefer a wider crushed gravel or paved surface. We did go on a brief section of the C&O canal path, and the gravel sections seemed more like narrow wagon wheel tracks, and I just was uncomfortable trying to stay in those tracks. I’m fine with most rail trails that aren’t even paved, but I’ll personally be avoiding the C&O myself in the future.

Last edited:

Congratulations on your accomplishment! I know well how great it feels to get out and ride again after several surgeries!

If you go back to ride the WMRT again, try parking at Hancock and ride West. It is by far the better part of the trail. If you rode 15 miles west from Big Pool, that means you rode 3 miles past Hancock and turned around somewhere near the Round Top Cement Plant ruins. You saw some of the western half but it gets better toward Little Orleans. Most of the eastern half of the trail, from Big Pool to Hancock, closely parallels I-70 and the traffic noise is quite loud. There are also more tree root heaves in the pavement which can be dangerous at higher speeds.

I ride the WMRT two or three times a year and I agree, park rangers are few and far between. Although there is little or no enforcement of the e-bike class laws, this may not be the case if you are involved in an accident with a pedestrian or other biker. A citation for riding an illegal bike would be the least of your problems if injuries are involved.

In any case, it sounds like you had a good trip!

BTW, for future reference, if you drive 35 minutes west of Hancock on I-68, you will reach Cumberland, MD. which is the eastern terminus of the 150 mile GAP (Great Allegheny Passage) trail. Although it isn't paved, the wider groomed packed gravel trail surface is actually more comfortable to ride than the WMRT since there are no tree root heaves.

BTW, for future reference, if you drive 35 minutes west of Hancock on I-68, you will reach Cumberland, MD. which is the eastern terminus of the 150 mile GAP (Great Allegheny Passage) trail. Although it isn't paved, the wider groomed packed gravel trail surface is actually more comfortable to ride than the WMRT since there are no tree root heaves.
Great, thanks!

Are you familiar with the W&OD Trail? If so, is it similar?

Last edited:
Are you familiar with the W&OD Trail? If so, iit similar?

The W&OD is paved. Most of it is 10' wide. The western parts (west of Leesburg) are much less crowded and very pretty. The middle is more suburban (say, Vienna to Leesburg) but still has its pretty sections. East of Vienna it becomes more urban and is quite popular. Currently some of the eastern-most sections near DC are being widened to have a separate pedestrian and bike trail. Much of the W&OD has a separate parallel bridle trail that is gravel and follows terrain more.

The GAP is gravel. Its basically an extension of the C&O that connects from the C&Os terminus in Cumberland all the way to Pittsburgh.

Back