Quality first but dollars count!

Proprietary = Expensive. They (R&M) are also Heavy. How many weeks does it take for an LBS to send out a motor issue then have it returned? 12? They are big bucks, It sucks. Lightweight and local is better, faster. Within my town, I can replace all the electronics inside a motor the same day for $65 in parts. It is all open source like Wiki or Lynix.
A fool and his money are soon parted. Sadly our world, custom builds, is to difficult for many. We have far more choices in choosing the best in comfort and geometry that fits us with builds but some need that LBS to sort issues. I need ANL S these days for essential bicycle tuneups but can sort kit issues in forums and if need be have a completely new kit and battery for the price of a proprietary battery. That said I found a small percentage of kit customers should have parted with their dollars. Some oldsters returning to bike buying eBikes don’t have a favorite ride. In 2014 I couldn’t find an eBike that fit me. So I built my first with a Trek Pure a Electra Townie clone trek was sued over. Today it’s not changed much. No sweat crank forward bikes with upgrade components and a throttle. Critical for those of us Rome considers cripples.

This bike when complete will be so sweet. The city fleet deal fell through, for now, they want Yubas with Steps. Yet, I can out gun that. I will drop it to a 36V 85Nm as a lightweight rental bike. Converting Yubas has a very large margin. I was going to do this bike with a 750W 90Nm dual clutch cargo motor. Yubas converted rock. This will be a perfect rental bike for day tourists.

Attachments

• FleetBikesPrototype1.JPG
    FleetBikesPrototype1.JPG
    297.9 KB · Views: 134
  • FleetBikesPrototype2.JPG
    FleetBikesPrototype2.JPG
    286.1 KB · Views: 141
I have all the support in San Francisco. Yes, expensive. But this is the best advertisement:

To be honest Aleks that guy had to replace several motors etc on his travel. Flying from SE Asia to France for the motor, for instance.

I am a Gazelle fan myself. Lots of different models, they are not the most fancy, but are solid and reliable with high quality parts. I prefer mid drive for hills, as the motor uses the actual gearing of the bicycle and has the torque. No throttle on my class3, pedal only, but very natural and no complaints.

Attachments

• 7B2FE9F7-D617-4C42-9AFB-5683F5F7D221.jpeg
    7B2FE9F7-D617-4C42-9AFB-5683F5F7D221.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 158
  • 4641682E-2275-4FD9-82D8-F90A3F5444E6.jpeg
    4641682E-2275-4FD9-82D8-F90A3F5444E6.jpeg
    701.3 KB · Views: 157
Take your time find the right balance for you. Some people will tell you just buy one already because you're just going to end up buying another one. That is terrible advice. That doesn't mean drag your heels either.

been to a trek store? they have few e bikes. mine have no Allen's at all and most f the others are out of stock. they order a year ahead of time so the pandemic caused them shortages.
That shortage thing is coming to an end. Have you noticed the availability of parts is getting better cassette's that couldn't get you now can?

Back