Quality first but dollars count!

I concur with @Stefan Mikes, 50nm of torque for hilly country as found in MA, combined with that Nexus rear hub is going to be a disappointment for you. IMO. As far as the belt drive goes, every bike mfr advertising a belt drive by Gates, will advertise that fact in their info. I see non of that within the Gazelle info, which leads me to believe this is some no-name belt. Now, when it comes time to replace the belt or the cogs, will that no-name belt be readily available?

I have a Trek Soho DLX with the Gates belt drive coupled with a Shimano Nexus 8 speed hub. It is not happy nor am I when I was climbing the minor hills we have where I ride.

I don't recall any Yamaha drive recommendations within this thread and as the resident happy camper with a Yamaha PW on my Haibike (going on 19 thousand miles, no drive system or battery issues at all) within this forum, let me be the first to recommend you look at the Yamaha CrossCore RC, download the specs here: https://www.yamahabicycles.com/bikes/crosscoreRC/

70 newton meters of torque......Bulletproof Yamaha ebike drive system reliability........28mph motor assist cut out......

I am picking up a bike tomorrow that I will convert with a 90Nm cargo motor. The conceptual theme of this prototype of a fleet bike is low maintenance. Replacement gears are $22, the same with replacement chains. We have hills here in Coastal Northern California. But more than that I want it to be robust. To replace all of the motor's electronics is $65, the same with a new display.

If any serious hills are ahead of the OP, going with the less efficient belt drive/IGH (also less gearing range) and weaker motor is not the smartest move. The chain and the strong motor are what he needs.
Yes, my local shop offers all three Gazelle models. I can afford any of them and they all ride beautifully. Western MA is hilly but not mountainous. I’m pretty fit for my age so expect all three will get me up any hill around here painlessly. So it all comes back to the original point of my inquiry: at what point if any am I spending more than I need to spend?

Yes, my local shop offers all three Gazelle models. I can afford any of them and they all ride beautifully. Western MA is hilly but not mountainous. I’m pretty fit for my age so expect all three will get me up any hill around here painlessly. So it all comes back to the original point of my inquiry: at what point if any am I spending more than I need to spend?
if thats the case the buy the bike that feels the best. that will make your more happy then anything else. the components are not that big of a deal if the bike does not feel as good to you. its to a big deal dealing with a chain if that bike feels better.

So it all comes back to the original point of my inquiry: at what point if any am I spending more than I need to spend?
That's a very subjective question. In this thread you've got views from DIYers, professional builders, hobbyists and enthusiasts. Everyone will have a different answer.

You're pretty much getting what you pay for across the eBike spectrum. Componetry costs what it costs. As prices rise the law of diminishing returns kicks in. But if you have the cash to burn why not spend up? Not much point taking it to the grave. I don't see many brands fleecing consumers or inflating prices (not at this end of the marketplace anyway).

For me, I'm spending more than I need if I'm buying a bike that I won't ride the crap out of, or has features or components that I won't appreciate or require.

The Gazelle models are well speced with quality components, appropriately priced (IMO) and have a strong user base here on the forums. Others may be able to chip in for post-sales service feedback.

spending more than I need
At first it won't matter much. It will all be great. Like a first girlfriend. Then after you begin to awaken and to appreciate the nuances of a better instrument you will be happy that you got something better than a starter bike. These are instruments. Extensions of you and your expression that you have an interactive relationship with.

Attachments

• Instuments.jpg
    Instuments.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 105
Given this is luxury item only you can determine how much is to much.

When it comes to hill climbing PerformanceLine 65nm is definitely stepup in power compared to 50nm. Trade is lot more maintenance, belt drive only needs check and maybe tension of belt every 1000kms. For derailleur you would've oiled it quite a few times in 1000kms plus odd degrease and clean.

I have PerformanceLine and do lot of hill climbing. For leisure riding typically climb in Sport which is equivalent to 50nm Turbo, this gives more range and I'm not in hurry as its about the journey. When commuting use Turbo lot more especially if running late.

Happy shopping.

So it all comes back to the original point of my inquiry: at what point if any am I spending more than I need to spend?
As other said: You spend the money once and soon forget it. Having a well equipped and strong e-bike will make you feel happy and that's what really counts.

If I were to buy a full power e-bike again, I would do my best to get the strongest motor and the best componentry in the selected e-bike line. Of course I appreciate the derailleur system but as you say you are strong and your hills are not mountains, so the belt/IGH would give you peace of mind.

I think we can close this thread now. Thanks for coaching me along to my best decision. I never was a handy guy, and will grow even less so over the 5-10 years I can hope to ride my e-bike. Spending more to ride the low maintenance Ultimate C8 isn’t like spending more to get a sun roof, or heated seats in a car. The extra’s will be more and more important to me as I get older.

Thanks to all; I hope you help the next newbie as much as y’all helped me!

Nope, this thread will live on forever, in perpetuity. You have made an indelible mark on the internet! :D
Well yes a future shopper in a similar situation could find great help here. Wish me luck; as a sales guy I’ll put on my best grin and say, “I’ll shop around until April—or I’ll buy yours now if you put that $150 carrier bag on the back.”

It wont be long you will be in here looking for the next best thing... Just update the thread when you are ready to upgrade

What I can tell you ... It wont matter once you get on the bike and start riding.. You will be wondering what took so long to get it actually done... Very relaxing and enjoyment can be found in a little bit of exercise... Not to much where you over do it but that is what a throttle is for... Magic.

Read the Forum and all the threads related to the Gazelle e-bikes.
OK, I'll bite. But I have to ask. Do you read what you write? A majority of your posts quoted with Gazelle are the usual blindsided attacks on a brand you have never ridden and dealers you have zero experience with. And ye t you just claimed I should read your posts for proof you have some intimate knowledge of USA dealers The George Santos of EBR. I skipped over 20 or more...
  • Sep 2, 2022
  • The things that are far better for Como 4.0 IGH:
    • Bigger battery (710 Wh vs 500 Wh).
    • The best e-bike infrastructure (electronics) in the market. (The Intuvia on the Gazelle does not allow tuning the assistance, and has no connectivity whatsoever.
Then you opine,
I gladly doubt Gazelles are made in Europe.
Gazelle has never moved from the Netherlands. and you wrote,
Everybody informed knows the best bikes are made in Taiwan...

And again you downplay an EU-built bike in favor of Taiwan.
If I were him, I would be already riding my Vado Why go with all the trouble with the legacy Bosch system and 500 Wh battery, not even mentioning the Purion if he could have MasterMind and the 710 Wh battery? (User @Roamers went with a Gazelle and later asked how to determine the cadence there )

And now,
The Big Four in the e-bike market:
  • Specialized
  • Trek
  • Giant
  • Cannondale
are far bigger than Gazelle, which exists in a 25 km/h country of omafiets (granny bike) where people cover short distances, and are riding slowly.

Now, have a look at Specialized, Trek, Giant, or Cannondale websites and compare the specs with the Gazelle website. The latter is rather laconic on exact e-bike specs, while the Big Four verbosely lists the smallest detail of the bikes they offer.
And again.
Hint: the Dutch need no e-bikes while the German do. Making all the Gazelle e-bike story even more funny
😊
AND THE TRUTH IS...
I have never ridden a Gazelle, so I cannot compared the brand's e-bikes to Specialized Como.
Don't get me wrong but I think Gazelle is the world champion in designing bizarre e-bikes...
Moustache are perceived as high quality e-bikes. No opinion on Gazelle.
And when you think it couldn't get weirder...
I wouldn't buy a Gazelle because of the poor information on their website. Two different matters.
What I don't like about the Gazelle are:
  • The Bosch Performance Line motor which is no match to the Specialized 1.2 (Vado 4.0) or 1.3 (Vado 5.0)
  • The Bosch motor is noisy, the Specialized one is silent

There's more double talk and prattling on and trolling member Gazelle until that poster just left.
I just don't get the double talk and constant berating of all things Bosch. FFS!

Knowledge only goes so far.... Experience is another animal.... I will leave it at that... I hope to be a One Brand warrior someday... Someday.

My choices are simple because I have one trusted dealer in my hometown who has kept my 15 speed road bike humming for 14 years. So it’s Aventon or Gazelle. I’m fit for 70, western MA is hilly not mountainous. All the bikes I tried out were quiet, comfortable, and handled our hills easily. So it came down to trusting the Dutch over the Chinese to stand behind their low maintenance hub motor/carbon belt bike at least until I’m 80 and likely not as hardy as I am now.

My choices are simple because I have one trusted dealer in my hometown who has kept my 15 speed road bike humming for 14 years. So it’s Aventon or Gazelle. I’m fit for 70, western MA is hilly not mountainous. All the bikes I tried out were quiet, comfortable, and handled our hills easily. So it came down to trusting the Dutch over the Chinese to stand behind their low maintenance hub motor/carbon belt bike at least until I’m 80 and likely not as hardy as I am now.
The only rule is, have fun. Hoping you have miles of smiles!

You can see a personal attack of the Forum trolls here.

Despite of I am a fan of a specific brand (and not a big fan of Gazelle), I read this Forum a lot and cannot close my eyes to see the Gazelle users are just happy users. Add to it the fact you have actually demo ridded these e-bikes and can judge them yourself.

Back