Quality first but dollars count!

The best bikes take your effort and add to it, so you still are working but with assistance. The lesser bikes can be ridden with no rider effort. They lack feel and are for people that don't really like to ride bikes. They are more like a player piano than an electric guitar.

I bought the gazelle medeo t-10+. It’s a great all around bike with top of the line build quality and components. You won’t go wrong with one just have your LBS check you out on each of the 3 frame sizes to get the one that fits you best. There are dealers everywhere too.

Bosch abandoned their first generation motor leaving frame owners no option but buy a new bike. Bosch batteries last same as reentron em3ev etc, cost >$1000. Displays inhibit flipping the bike upside down to change tires, tubes, chains etc. I don't have one.
I did a hub motor conversion of a quality yuba bodaboda costing $2000 with panniers 2 leg stand, front basket, shipping. At 8000 miles my cost was $.80 per mile. That includes 3 power wheels, one hubmotor gear wearout @~4500 mi & one killed by rain in the ASI controller connector. 2 security cables, 3 locks, 5 seats. I find a power wheel easier to change than a chain. My chains last ~5000 miles and I have a 24 speed selection to climb 15% hills with 80 lb groceries unpowered or help the motor at 25 mph. Rain takes out the throttle sometimes, I stay in shape to pedal to destination. Geared hubs don't drag unpowered or with the gears worn out. 3 shifters worn (twist), one derailleur takeup (stick damage) one front derailleur wore out. 1 set brake shoes, 10 tires, XX tubes.
I'm still on the 3rd battery since 6/18, a luna 48 v 17.5 ah costing $630. First battery Amazon refunded because it was trash, 2nd battery ebay it took me too long to prove it was bad to get my $300 back. Luna battery now has 9000 miles, 4 years still performs as original. I built my own battery mount off front of bike, has withstood two attempted thefts at grocery store. 1 connector falloff (XT90) replaced with dorman insulated .250 flag terminals, no more problems.
1300 watt ebikeling geared motor & 1000 w Mac10t were extremely capable of 330 lb gross on 15% hills. 2022 I could only buy 500 w bafang during china covid shutdown, but it was used, $34.
I like the stretch frame; it doesn't pitch me on my chin like the 2 previous MTB and 1 cruiser. 5 spills on my chin 2008-2018. None since I bought the bodaboda. If I bought now I'd think about a blix packa. Internet sold, but I do my own maintenance and don't keep a car to drive the bike to the dealer. Saving about $3000 a year on cars that get check engine disease in ~11 years whatever the mileage.

Last edited:
@SHarvester, I was thinking about the 20-year bike question. There is an ancient Greek dilemma that if every part of a wooden ship were gradually replaced over the years; Would it still be the same ship? You would need to start with something such as a forever titanium frame and build it so that every part could be swapped even as technology changes. You would want to use parts that emphasize utility and value over low weight for one race day. Things such as a low maintenance internal hub of gears and an extra-strong wide chain. You would also want a standard motor mounting system that works across platforms and an external battery. I replaced a battery on a 2017 bike yesterday. The new 2023 battery is very different but because it is external, that is okay. All that really mattered was that the voltage is the same.

Okay guys I rode ‘em and I’m down to two: the Gazelle Medeo T9 HMB, or for about $1k more the Gazelle Ultimate C8 HMB. There are many small differences but the big one for me is the low maintenance the Ultimate offers with the carbon belt, hub motor, interior workings no lube required. My intuition is that over ten years I’d save the $1k or more with a lower maintenance and repair bill. How does my intuition match up with reality? If the cost per mile over ten years is less with the Medeo Im happy with my test rides on both.

I have an Evelo, Giant , 4 Frey bikes (Chinese so not your cup of tea) but one that stands out that the wife bought that actually surprised me on the power and comfortability is her Stromer.. Large Hub and handled the hills Nicely but I would agree that you should test Any brand you can before you buy.

Okay guys I rode ‘em and I’m down to two: the Gazelle Medeo T9 HMB, or for about $1k more the Gazelle Ultimate C8 HMB. There are many small differences but the big one for me is the low maintenance the Ultimate offers with the carbon belt, hub motor, interior workings no lube required. My intuition is that over ten years I’d save the $1k or more with a lower maintenance and repair bill. How does my intuition match up with reality? If the cost per mile over ten years is less with the Medeo Im happy with my test rides on both.
Did you do a sustained climb with both? Or does that not apply to your area. Belts are not lower cost to maintain. Parts are more expensive. Teeth break off the cogs and they are pricy. Belts are also pricy. The theory-story of a belt is better than the experience over five-years. They still require lube.

I’m in western MA with many hills, no mountains. I’m not going off road. I’m expecting either bike to help me up any hill near me. I can afford either bike but since both ride beautifully I don’t want to overpay for extra’s I don’t need (my car doesn’t have heated car seats but it does have an efficient engine). Will I need the extra’s on the Ultimate as I age from 70 towards 80?

you would want the belt drive of the two. but it also has the wimpiest bosch motor and its going to make any steeper hills difficult. if you can get a smaller chainring since it tops out at 20 you may be good I would test it though.

Yes, You mentioned Western Mass. Beautiful country. Good music too. A hub drive motor is single speed. It, the motor, is like a VW Bug that cannot shift out of third gear. The motor is one speed. Those cannot do sustained climbs. Mid-motor eBikes are able to use the motor's power to shift through the gears. The motor drives the chain. This feature offers huge advantages. I think you will be happier in the long run with the mid-drive. Ask someone else. Someone with actual experience with both.

Yes, You mentioned Western Mass. Beautiful country. Good music too. A hub drive motor is single speed. It, the motor, is like a VW Bug that cannot shift out of third gear. The motor is one speed. Those cannot do sustained climbs. Mid-motor eBikes are able to use the motor's power to shift through the gears. The motor drives the chain. This feature offers huge advantages. I think you will be happier in the long run with the mid-drive. Ask someone else. Someone with actual experience with both.
+1

you would want the belt drive of the two. but it also has the wimpiest bosch motor and its going to make any steeper hills difficult. if you can get a smaller chainring since it tops out at 20 you may be good I would test it though.
Are you saying the belt drive model has the weaker motor of the two? Have you looked at the specs? I just looked, and the belt drive C8 unit has 10nm more torque than the T9.

Have you checked the specs? Both the T9 and the C8 are mid drive Bosch motors (40nm and 50 nm respectively). 9 speed Alivio on the T9, 8 speed Nexus on the C8. The chainrings are radically different size, of course. I haven't run the actual numbers on the gearing to see how the gear range compares.
T9 vs C8

You've test ridden them - how did they feel on more challenging inclines? The Active Line is a quiet and economical motor but be prepared to contribute significantly more leg power to zoom up hills.

If looking at Gazelle the spec level and power will go up with price. Longevity of parts is same regardless of spec level. Entry level shimano brakes and gears are just as reliable as high end ones.

Edit I go for C8 with belt and mpre powerful Activeline Plus.
Belts almost maintenance free. Cycle tourers get 10-30k km life with odd tension adjustment and literally a splash of water for lub. Nexus hub should be serviced every 5000kms but most never see a service and still gives years of trouble free running.

T9 chain will need regular lubing and cleaning. Budget on chain replacement every 3000kms and cassette with chainring and idlers 6000km. Being 9spds parts are cheap but labour isn't if using shop.

Last edited:
For less dollars than your Ultimate T9 is this an option? https://flyridesusa.com/products/gazelle-medeo-t10-mid-step?variant=41160482357446

Punchier motor than the two you listed and good quality specs, if you don't mind the drivetrain servicing. On an ebike that usually involves a basic wipe and lube of the chain every week or so, replacing the chain every 1k - 2k miles and the cassette every 2 - 3 chains.

For less dollars than your Ultimate T9 is this an option? https://flyridesusa.com/products/gazelle-medeo-t10-mid-step?variant=41160482357446

Punchier motor than the two you listed and good quality specs, if you don't mind the drivetrain servicing. On an ebike that usually involves a basic wipe and lube of the chain every week or so, replacing the chain every 1k - 2k miles and the cassette every 2 - 3 chains.

If any serious hills are ahead of the OP, going with the less efficient belt drive/IGH (also less gearing range) and weaker motor is not the smartest move. The chain and the strong motor are what he needs.

Last edited:
Back