Hilly 10mile commute - suggestions?

Anyways, we rode two of the regular City Commuters around (his rental fleet) and those were very much comparable to the original iZip mid drive! And the throttle was super fun. We also tried their low end mountain bike (ridge rider) and that was fun as well. both seemed to do these hills fine. Anyways, that threw a whole wrench into the "hub drives are out" search space for me.

Yep, I don't understand the mid-drive hype, personally. It's about the riding experience to me, and hub drives take less maintenance, according to the dealer (who had both mid-drive and hub-drive bikes in stock when I bought my bike). The dealer recommended the hub drive for my purposes (hilly commuting and recreation), and my bike's been terrific. :)

I have a CCS and I'm very happy with it. I'm drooling over the new CCX, but definitely not unhappy with the decision to buy the CCS. I've had no issues with it, have saved a lot of money on car expenses, and I'm in better shape. Most any ebike can give you those benefits, but the value per dollar of the CCX is awesome.

how do you like the CCS overall? One benefit of san diego is that I can arrange to go over there sometime and try something out. The CCX looks like it's going to be a beast, and i watched a video where he showed one of the settings is to turn off the torque sensor and go to the cadence only (plus the whole cruise control thing looks cool).

The LBS store got back to me that they can get me a izip Dash or raleigh cadent (same bike) with the throttle add on for a little less than the $2200 MSRP. Def cheaper than the pedegos.
I really like it. When I saw the specs on the csx I immediately wanted one though. It would be great to have the extra boost going up the mountains. I appreciate what Mr. Harris did with all the feedback on the CCS. He listened and improved on it with the csx. The worse thing about Juiced is you will probably have to wait a couple of weeks for your bike.

ok bought a bike. the FLX guys are literally just down the street from my house. they have a shop open 7 days a week and have a few open box bikes. So my wife and i drove around on the trail and then the Blade. The blade with the 1000watt bafang max was so powerful. Even open box was more than i wanted to spend but was so fun. There's only a couple of bikes with this giant motor in it and those are mostly fat bikes. Going to get some road tires, smaller handlebars (they were a bit wide), and suspension post / gel seat and I will have 0 excuses to do just about anything on this bike.

thanks for hearing me out. There are soo many options out there, it's easy to get overwhelmed with choices.

ok bought a bike. the FLX guys are literally just down the street from my house. they have a shop open 7 days a week and have a few open box bikes. So my wife and i drove around on the trail and then the Blade. The blade with the 1000watt bafang max was so powerful. Even open box was more than i wanted to spend but was so fun. There's only a couple of bikes with this giant motor in it and those are mostly fat bikes. Going to get some road tires, smaller handlebars (they were a bit wide), and suspension post / gel seat and I will have 0 excuses to do just about anything on this bike.

thanks for hearing me out. There are soo many options out there, it's easy to get overwhelmed with choices.

Congratulations, you'll gonna enjoy it and you will spend more time riding than before. As long as you spend most of your time below 24 mph and less frequent use of highest assist, the life span of your drive train will be reasonable.

Last edited:
Out of shape 62 y/o 230lbs here, and there's no hill I can't beat with my Giant Fathom E+
1x10 with mid drive Yamaha and hydraulic disc brakes and front suspension fork.
There are 5 assist levels, and even the worst hill so far only needs level 4.
I considered a throttle but ended up wanting something to help me get back in shape, and to me that means pedal!:)

Posted my last comment without seeing this first.

That looks like a killer ride, congrats!

Back