Priority Current - Instructions & Maintenance Videos

Achterbahn

Region
USA
City
Bay Area, CA
Hi folks,

Now that we have a dedicated space for Priority Bicycles, I thought I'd start a thread to aggregate useful instructional and maintenance content specific to this bike. If you find anything I missed, feel free to post!

Intro. to Current

Shimano vs Enviolo

Assembly guide

Basic guide

General maintenance

Installing a Range Extender

Fixing a flat

HOW TO REBUILD AND TRUE THE REAR WHEEL ON A CURRENT (ENVIOLO)

Method 1 - The Easy Way
Bring your bike to your trusty LBS and pay them to service your wheel. Done!

Method 2 - I'm a Pro or a Masochist
Set aside a couple of hours to follow these steps carefully:
  1. Spend remaining money on a truing stand, bike repair stand and wheel-building tools (spoke wrench, nipple driver, thread prep, extra 13g spokes, tension meter, etc.).
  2. Watch relevant tutorial videos listed above.
  3. Secure bike in stand with rear wheel elevated.
  4. Photograph relative positions of all components, especially CVT mechanism (a) cable holder (points toward front of bike), (b) inner ring (rotates while shifting gears), and (c) disc-side index (situated downward in left drop-out).
  5. Unclip both CVT cables, remove from holder, and lay them neatly aside.
  6. Remove both axle nuts (with spacers) using 15mm box wrench.
  7. Lower wheel gently to the ground while carefully unlooping drive belt from rear sprocket. DO NOT BEND, PINCH OR TWIST BELT!
  8. Place rear wheel on table, resting flat with drive-side axle pointed down.
  9. Let air out of tire and unseat drive-side bead using tire levers.
  10. Remove inner tube (air valve stem last) and set aside. (Optional: Seal any punctures.)
  11. Unseat remaining tire bead and set tire aside. (Optional: Check tread for debris.)
  12. Gently pry up and remove rim tape, noting valve hole location, and set aside.
  13. If rebuilding, aligning or tensioning, secure wheel in truing stand.
  14. Check for bent, loose or missing spokes. (Optional: Replace damaged spokes.)
  15. Prep spoke threads as desired (Spokesmith Spoke Prep, Permatex Thread Sealant with PTFE, Pedro's Waterproof Grease, etc.) and observe 2X-cross lacing pattern.
  16. Tension all spokes to approximately 110 kgf, checking rim for radial/lateral true.
NOTE: If lacing new head-in/shoulder-out spokes on disc side, follow these additional steps required to permit spoke insertion past disc rotor:
  1. With wheel lying flat on workbench, brake side up, unscrew the 8mm axle bolt and set aside.
  2. Use O-ring pick, jeweler's flathead screwdriver or some other small tool to pry open the copper locking C-clip and remove it from triangular axle shaft.
    IMPORTANT: NOTE RELATIVE POSITION (i.e. 60-degree angle) BETWEEN BLACK PLASTIC MOLDED "INDEX PUCK" (surrounded by 7 small Torx bolts) AND CABLE HOLDER ON DRIVE SIDE!
  3. Remove index puck by lifting off triangular axle.
  4. With brake disc bolts now accessible, unscrew them using a star pattern (noting initial torque) and set aside.
  5. Remove the 180mm disc rotor and set aside. (Optional: Check for flatness.)
  6. Thread in new spoke(s) and secure with nipple(s), bedding, tensioning and destressing finished wheel as usual.
  7. Perform Steps 1-5 in reverse order to reinstall rotor and all axle components.
Tire and tube reinstallation is the reverse of removal process, as are the steps for placing the wheel back onto the bike. However, be prepared to need more than two hands, as you must simultaneously (a) fully seat axles into dropouts, (b) while aligning "index" on disc side, (c) avoid pinching the CVT adjustment cables, (d) looping drive belt around both front chainring and rear cog without introducing any bends, kinks or torsion, and (e) ensuring that CVT cable holder correctly points toward front of bike.

Pro tip: Use the Gates Carbon Drive mobile app to check your belt's tension!

Finally, CVT cable reattachment is the reverse of removal, though slight rotations of the grip shift during this process may help provide a bit of extra cable slack as necessary.

Last edited:
I do most but I leave wheel building and work to the pros. then the wheel will be really strong and wont need maintenance. for a long time.

I normally would, too, except that (a) all of our local bike shops are booked several weeks out, (b) I'm a heavy rider who keeps breaking rear spokes (1-2 per ride), and (c) I don't want to sit idle for days just because of that. I'll continue replacing spokes as needed, but only need to disassemble the rear wheel specifically for the "head-in, shoulder-out" ones, of which there are only 9 in total.

I somehow suspect Priority either spec'ced cheap spokes (they have been "popping" under moderate to low torque/speed in precisely the same spot every time, right at the hub flange), or the crazy combo of a huge (124mm dia.) internally-geared hub together with a relatively smaller (27.5") rim is giving rise to problematic geometry. Even Nuvinci themselves warn against situations like this.

One thing's for certain: Whoever built my rear wheel must have used an angle grinder instead of a nipple driver to install those spokes, because the heads are ab-so-lute-ly MANGLED. I sent Priority a photo of the worst one, which looks like a cauliflower. LOL

It's the price you (meaning a Clydesdale like me) must pay for riding an e-bike so close to the cutting edge of what's possible. :)

myself it would be time to invest on a rebuild or new wheel. If thats happening you have to get the wheel rebuilt as its toast. maybe time to buy a new wheel but then you have to deal with the hub. replacing spokes wont fix it. all the spokes need replaced and the wheel built right. My frist mid drive had two broken spokes in 600 miles. my next one the rim cracked at 8000 miles. both cases new wheel to eliminate the issue. the first one was rebuilt.

Yeah I know you are right about needing a new wheel but I've never built one with an ENVIOLO hub so am trying to milk the learning curve as long as I can first.

Today I finally checked and tensioned my Gates Carbon Drive belt. The Gates app on my phone indicated the starting tension was around "27", with recommended range being 35-50. What made me check it was that it skipped a tooth under heavy pedaling twice yesterday, and I didn't want that unpleasantness to continue.

So, I backed off the 4 axle mount securing bolts a tad, ran the app, and tightened up the belt using the right and left tensioning bolts by turning them equally a 1/3 turn at a time with an Allen key. Each 1/3 turn seems to have raised the tension by about "5", eventually landing my belt at "47" which I consider ideal. Buttoned 'er up and rode.

P.S. The rear wheel I rebuilt is holding up WAY better than the stock one did. Something tells me that the spokes and nipples they selected are made of a different grade of metal than the stainless ones I purchased off of eBay (set of 36 for $42). And tensioning to 100-110 kgf seems a very sensible thing to do as well. I check it every 3rd ride. Solid!!

I have had a Priority Current since January. It has been pretty great until yesterday, when the belt popped off the rear cogs and the gear cables snapped.

I took it to my LBS and they found that the the non-belt side dropouts were badly damaged. The attached pictures were taken by the mechanic. That made the rear wheel unsteady and probably caused the belt and cable issues. They said the bike is not rideable.

It only has 1300 miles and hasn’t been in any crashes.

Has anyone else had issues with the dropouts on the Priority Current?

Attachments

• B2839D53-4017-442C-9F8D-904ED18761BC.jpeg
    B2839D53-4017-442C-9F8D-904ED18761BC.jpeg
    209.9 KB · Views: 256
  • 03059DCE-7126-417B-AAC5-B6376F2CF2F8.jpeg
    03059DCE-7126-417B-AAC5-B6376F2CF2F8.jpeg
    203.5 KB · Views: 258
I have had a Priority Current since January. It has been pretty great until yesterday, when the belt popped off the rear cogs and the gear cables snapped.

I took it to my LBS and they found that the the non-belt side dropouts were badly damaged. The attached pictures were taken by the mechanic. That made the rear wheel unsteady and probably caused the belt and cable issues. They said the bike is not rideable.

It only has 1300 miles and hasn’t been in any crashes.

Has anyone else had issues with the dropouts on the Priority Current?

Back