I ran into some challenges with the non drive side crank arm hitting the chainstay as well as the front chain ring hitting the chainstay. This article was great to remedy those problems
http://electric-fatbike.com/2015/11...xes-for-non-standard-bb-intrusive-chainstays/

I ordered an offset crank arm for the non drive side and that did the trick for one side. Then I also bought washers to make the mounting plate even https://electricfatbike.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/imag2987-e1447264147846.jpg

Finally I bought longer bolts and lock washers which served as spacers for the chain ring.
https://electricfatbike.files.wordpress.com/2015/11/mg_2318.jpg

My drive unit is finally installed. I've converted my tires to tubeless, upgraded my chain, installed my pannier rack. No I'm waiting on the battery which ships Monday with my C965 display. Now they are offering a slim battery back and I don't know which one to get. Any suggestions? @Kaldeem

http://lunacycle.com/dolphin/

MY battery came in last night, how bout you? I'm taking my ride to the LBS to have the BB removed since I stripped one of the cranks. I should have it finished by Sunday night. Hopefully.

So far so good. I've installed the HD, wired the speed sensor, connected the LCD up and have zip tied most everything in place. After I get some sleep, I'll attach the battery and motor wires and finish everything up. Hopefully I'll be able to ride to work by 4 pm if everything's running correctly!! Pics coming soon.

I'm having some troubles with connecting the motor and battery. Seems like the motor wire gauges are 12-10 and the battery 14-16 guage. I purchased 3 sets on butsplice connectors, but when I plug in the battery there's nothing. No indicator, no power... I'm getting super frustrated.

The connectors can be sorted out. You can twist and tape everything, just to see if you get power. Then maybe try a multimeter to check voltage coming out of the battery, if nothing lights up. Not sure what has to be switched on. Take a break, look at everything maybe fuses. Obviously, protect the leads coming out of the battery, match polarity..

IMG_2866.JPG IMG_2867.JPG IMG_2868.JPG So here's some images I took, trying to talk to someone from Luna Cycles... They told me to take the battery apart and look for the BMS to see if it was plugged in. I called and texted them that everything look ok, except one lead on the power switch wasn't connected to anything. They never called/texted me back so far. I'll post a video i shot of the inside of the battery in a min. It's converting.

You pressed the round switch on the left side of the battery and its blue LED doesn't light up? Until the battery is turned on, the LED indicators on the right side won't work when you press the rubber switch. No power at the rear plug either.

After charging the battery for 5 hours. It still dosen't read full power. I'm assuming now it's a defective battery. Once placed on the cradle and powered on, there is no sign of power. The indicator for the power level of the battery light will not work while on the cradle. After I take it off, I can test the power indicator and see that the power of the battery has fallen to 1-2 bars.

I swear I have the shittiest luck when purchasing ebikes or trying to build one. I'm so screwed on 2k if I can't get this battery working.

I swear I have the shittiest luck
It's not a matter of luck. I'd be upset that the battery came to you D.O.A. If I were the supplier I'd be shipping a replacement ASAP. I always tell them I charge by the hour for fixing their problem.

Court J.

The same would be my luck if I were to attempt to build an e-bike. I would contact the supplier and see if they will send a replacement.

Just so you have enough details to confirm a dead battery, recommend that you power it up outside of the cradle and check the output after you power it it up. That will make sure you didn't somehow short circuit it or that the controller is screwing around with you. Ought to be around 54 volts if it was a good one.

You will need to do some diagnostics. Do you have a multi-meter? You will need to read the DC voltage across the battery terminals. Start there.

I'm pretty sure they will try to sort this out for you. If it is a bad battery pack, it's a bad battery pack. If you read the post at electricfatbike this morning, shipping a pack back that may be defective is really hard to do. Given that, I would give them the opportunity to troubleshoot the battery, or guide you through troubleshooting the battery. You may have to swap parts, or whatever.

If you are getting 2 leds or whatever, after a long charge, that's not good, but there are a lot of things to check. The voltage at the terminals is way more accurate, what @one4torque said. Then, if there is low voltage, it could be the pack, the charger, or a loose connection, something in the BMS.

Try to make it a learning experience. That's part of building a bike, and then keeping it going.

Maybe you can get a video Skype call with them. Remember, we're all watching and we want things to turn out good for everyone.

It's nothing personal. Think of @Phrodos and his problems. In the end, it was OK.

Roger doger gS...... everything I know about cars is from breaking them in the first place, or doing something wrong..... and well... I seem to know alot about cars ;)......

A few steps for ya:
1. test voltage @ battery terminals with multimeter. Post up what it says.
2. charger battery, then recheck voltage. You should also be able to check the voltage while charging. (others correct me on this).
If battery is too low it may not accept a charge.
If battery is defective it may not accept a charge.
If battery charger or bms is defective or needs reprogram, then you'll need to troubleshoot this.

GL mate.... another option is to link-up with a local ebike nerd......... I'd be happy to help if you were in the houston area...... you will get it sorted.

I purchased the powerpoles and crimper today for a total of 58$ and some change. I wanted to be sure it wasn't my connection from the cradle to the motor. I also plugged in my cellphone to the USB charger slot and it's not reading anything. I've look inside and all the connections seem ( I don't know what I'm looking at or for) to be connected well. So the obvious conclusion is the battery is faulty. I guess tomorrow I'll go look for a multi-meter and call Luna Cycles about the battery.

K,

I don't want to get in the way of Luna and the troubleshooting, but it could be something simple. The troubleshooting follow a fairly logical path. You basically have two paths, one a charging path, and the other a discharge path. What we know, right now, is that the battery is not charged, and it probably doesn't charge on the charger.

So you plug the charger in and see if anything lights up, to indicate it 'works'. You can say that one side of the thing is the plug at the wall, the charger, the BMS, and the cells that are wired or welded together. So you might as well think about that side first. Once we know the battery is charged, the other side of the thing, the battery to the controller to the motor can be looked at.

With a meter you can test the voltage at the battery. You can test the circuit, to see how many amps are flowing into the battery, if any. That lets you know if there is any charging going on. We have to see current (amps) flowing into the battery, and that brings the voltage up.

I don't want to throw too much at you. But a lot of us are stuck in this boat where we are having to figure this stuff out. I don't really have anyone to take my bike to, at this point. I've dealt a lot with batteries and chargers and solar chargers, in a camper or two. When something stops working, generally the battery stops charging, you look at every point where current flows, and find where it stops flowing. You sort of have to like doing it, after a while, because there are always problems. :confused:

You just want to be kind of logical about it. It's like A to B to C, and where are we in trying to find what is going wrong. If you can get some kind of video call going with Luna, something like that where they can see what is going on. Luna probably needs to work out procedures for service and customer service.

I know we want you to succeed, and I really want Luna to succeed.

I have a Framed Minnesota 2.0 fat bike and a BBSHD on order from Luna cycles....looking forward to doing this build. I also ordered their new bling ring and for the 1st time I am going to try a right hand twist throttle. I've only ever used thumb throttles. Looking forward to seeing all your builds!

@Kaldeem I hope you get it figured out today. I received the same kit from Luna Cycles and had more luck. I just have my connections connected together with electrical tape right now until I get some anderson powerpoles. Everything seems to be working and I was able to wire my supernova lights directly into the battery. I'm very impressed with the overall power and feel of the bike only got to go on a short midnight jaunt in 15 degree weather. I will connect the andersons today and really test of the speed this afternoon.
IMG_2452.JPG
IMG_2453.JPG

Back