Pennsylvania Rides | Meetups | Pennsylvania Riders

I actually lucked out with the Hampton Inn pricing when I stayed mid-May this year. I booked the hotel in the winter when the country was on covid lockdown for an absurdly low rate of around $100/night. When I went back in September, the hotel was over $500/night - way too much.

I stayed at the bar harbor villager this time, and it was very clean and comfortable for an affordable price.

You can easily access the carriage roads from anywhere in Bar Harbor. You just have to bike along a very short 0.2 mile stretch of the main park loop road.

You can also access the carriage roads from Hulls Cove, Seal Cove, and the Aticou area of Northeast Harbor. When I go back in November, I am going to try and find all the nooks and crannys of how to access the carriage roads from other parts of the island. There is a good restaurant - the chart room - in Hulls Cove, that you can bike along some back trails to get to from Bar Harbor.

Also did some great hiking - I climbed Dorr Mountain, the Beehive, Jesup Trail, and many others.

No problems at all with the eBike. Most people were actually on eBikes. Some of the hills were brutal, even on an eBike! Signs were all over saying class 1 eBikes only.

I learned that the carriage roads are open 24/7 for bikers. On a future trip, probably not this November due to possibility of ice, I will bike the Day Mountain Summit carriage road in the night. Will be great for stargazing.

Honestly I am just going to save all my days off for trips to Acadia. It might just be my favorite place in the US.

Unfortunately Hurricane Ida destroyed my local D&L canal trail in southeast PA. Major (major) bummer.

The Norwegian Rallervegan still holds the #1 bike trail. If covid ever goes away, its somewhere you must go bike.
bikeman242
Sounds like you had a great biking trip in Maine at the Acadia National Park. Do you mind if I ask you a couple of questions?

1. Did the hotels in Bar Harbor let you keep your bike in the hotel room? If not, how did you keep your electric bike secure outside of locking to your bike rack?
2. Did the Park Rangers at Acadia check the types of bikes people were riding on the Carriage Trails to ensure they were not a Class 3 bike?

Thank you and all the best!

bikeman242
Sounds like you had a great biking trip in Maine at the Acadia National Park. Do you mind if I ask you a couple of questions?

1. Did the hotels in Bar Harbor let you keep your bike in the hotel room? If not, how did you keep your electric bike secure outside of locking to your bike rack?
2. Did the Park Rangers at Acadia check the types of bikes people were riding on the Carriage Trails to ensure they were not a Class 3 bike?

Thank you and all the best!

I would call the hotel you are interested in and check if they will let you bring a bike inside. The Bar Harbor Villager, Inn at Mount Desert, and Acadia Hotel Downtown had no problem letting me bring a bike inside. The Hampton Inn actually gave me a lot of pushback, said that due to fire code they would not allow bikes inside, but I told the manager that I booked a 4 person room and was a single traveler, so he gave in and let me bring it inside.

Even though crime is low in Bar Harbor, I would never leave my $5000 eBike outside overnight. The bike racks outside hotels are not designed for an expensive bike. If you have to lock it outside, buy a heavy 12mm Pewage security chain from west tech rigging and lock it to a large tree.

I saw maybe two rangers in the park, and nobody looked twice at my eBike. There were at least as many eBikes as regular bikers. As long as you are pedaling, and not clearly riding something that looks like a moped, the rangers could not care less.

Any other questions, I am happy to answer. I have spent about 20 nights in Bar Harbor so far this year, and am getting quite familiar with the park and the area. I'll be back again in a few weeks.

I would call the hotel you are interested in and check if they will let you bring a bike inside. The Bar Harbor Villager, Inn at Mount Desert, and Acadia Hotel Downtown had no problem letting me bring a bike inside. The Hampton Inn actually gave me a lot of pushback, said that due to fire code they would not allow bikes inside, but I told the manager that I booked a 4 person room and was a single traveler, so he gave in and let me bring it inside.

Even though crime is low in Bar Harbor, I would never leave my $5000 eBike outside overnight. The bike racks outside hotels are not designed for an expensive bike. If you have to lock it outside, buy a heavy 12mm Pewage security chain from west tech rigging and lock it to a large tree.

I saw maybe two rangers in the park, and nobody looked twice at my eBike. There were at least as many eBikes as regular bikers. As long as you are pedaling, and not clearly riding something that looks like a moped, the rangers could not care less.

Any other questions, I am happy to answer. I have spent about 20 nights in Bar Harbor so far this year, and am getting quite familiar with the park and the area. I'll be back again in a few weeks.
Thank you for the quick response. I've ordered a Trek electric bike (Class 1) with the expected delivery date of late December 2021. I'm a Pennsylvania resident and started following this thread for ideas where to find the best bike trails in my state. As with you I also love the Acadia National Park and Bar Harbor area and hope I can take my bike up there in early spring. Keeping my fingers crossed that I receive the new bike soon.

In regard to bike security I agree with you that I need to secure it in the hotel room. Glad to hear some places do accommodate this practice.

Your help is much appreciated. Thanks again.

Thank you for the quick response. I've ordered a Trek electric bike (Class 1) with the expected delivery date of late December 2021. I'm a Pennsylvania resident and started following this thread for ideas where to find the best bike trails in my state. As with you I also love the Acadia National Park and Bar Harbor area and hope I can take my bike up there in early spring. Keeping my fingers crossed that I receive the new bike soon.

In regard to bike security I agree with you that I need to secure it in the hotel room. Glad to hear some places do accommodate this practice.

Your help is much appreciated. Thanks again.

Couple things to consider for early spring -

The carriage roads are closed for mud season for most of spring. The park will announce suddenly on the website when the carriage roads are open again. It is usually sometime in May. If you wait until they reopen in May to book your hotel, you will find the hotel prices are through the roof for a last-minute booking.

Also, bug season starts in the second week of May. I went in late May last year, and had to take significant bug precautions. I was covered in bug webbing, sprayed permethrin on my helmet and panniers, and covered my shoes with DEET. Wore long sleeves and pants, tucked into long socks. I didn't get any ticks through my layers, but honestly I would have preferred there to be no bugs. I didn't hike for this reason; swarms of black flies and ticks everywhere is not something I find enjoyable.

What I would do is book a week at a couple hotels now for next spring, while rates are low. Look for something with free cancellation. The Acadia Inn and the Bar Harbor Villager both allow late cancellations and you to take your bike in the room. If the carriage roads aren't open by the time the cancellation deadline nears, just cancel that week, and hope that they will open by the following week.

By June, hotel prices are insane for the rest of the summer. They calm down again (slightly) in September, then soar again in October for the foliage season. Overall, it's an expensive place. But I love the Island.

For me, its great to just bike from my hotel to the park without having to deal with finding parking at the bike trailheads. You don't have to stay in Bar Harbor if you don't care about this. But I love to bike straight from my room to the park. I didn't get in the car once during the times I went this year.

Couple things to consider for early spring -

The carriage roads are closed for mud season for most of spring. The park will announce suddenly on the website when the carriage roads are open again. It is usually sometime in May. If you wait until they reopen in May to book your hotel, you will find the hotel prices are through the roof for a last-minute booking.

Also, bug season starts in the second week of May. I went in late May last year, and had to take significant bug precautions. I was covered in bug webbing, sprayed permethrin on my helmet and panniers, and covered my shoes with DEET. Wore long sleeves and pants, tucked into long socks. I didn't get any ticks through my layers, but honestly I would have preferred there to be no bugs. I didn't hike for this reason; swarms of black flies and ticks everywhere is not something I find enjoyable.

What I would do is book a week at a couple hotels now for next spring, while rates are low. Look for something with free cancellation. The Acadia Inn and the Bar Harbor Villager both allow late cancellations and you to take your bike in the room. If the carriage roads aren't open by the time the cancellation deadline nears, just cancel that week, and hope that they will open by the following week.

By June, hotel prices are insane for the rest of the summer. They calm down again (slightly) in September, then soar again in October for the foliage season. Overall, it's an expensive place. But I love the Island.

For me, its great to just bike from my hotel to the park without having to deal with finding parking at the bike trailheads. You don't have to stay in Bar Harbor if you don't care about this. But I love to bike straight from my room to the park. I didn't get in the car once during the times I went this year.
You sold me on Bar Harbor and Acadia. Our visits with my wife have always been in August and the weather was perfect. I will need to rethink early Spring because I never thought of bugs and the mud season's closure of the carriage trails. Sounds like maybe early June, September and October will be the better months. Again thank you for sharing your experiences with us.

How are the trail conditions on the GAP trail and the C&O currently? Covered in snow? Thinking of heading down to cumberland this weekend for a GAP/C&O ride.

I usually check the snow cover map at WeatherStreet.com before heading down that way:

It's updated hourly and fairly accurate.

I have no recent first hand knowledge but it's been my experience that the C&O almost always has snow on the trail in the shady spots until mid March. There is usually plenty of open trail to ride though. You can try calling the Great Falls Tavern Visitor Center at (301) 767-3714. They have limited hours though so it's sometimes hard to get someone.

You run into the same conditions riding north on the GAP from Cumberland. There is usually quite a bit of snow in the higher elevations above Frostburg this time of year. Also, the Big Savage tunnel is closed until late March or early April and there is no easy detour.

You can also call the West Newton Visitor center at (724) 872-5586. It's open all year and they often can give you current trail conditions.

Enola Low Grade Trail in Lancaster County now fully open.

The Safe Harbor Trestle is spectacular and as of last Thursday the Martic Forge Trestle is open again a few miles down the trail after an arsonist burned the historic bridge down in 2018. So much to see on this historic PRR line, two historic trestle bridges, the Susquehanna River, Safe Harbor Hydroelectric Dam, climbing cliffs and the wreckage from the Christmas train wreck can still be found in winter when all the leaves are down.

Safe Harbor Trestle Before:

After:

Christmas Train Wreck:

The Martic Forge Trestle:

A true destination trail.

I'll have to put that one on my list!

I'm out riding the Panhandle and Montour trails in western PA as we speak.

I thought I'd update this old thread to post some information involving a couple of popular trails in MD. and PA.
I just got back from riding the Western Maryland Rail Trail and the GAP Trail in PA. The WMRT was closed for a time at mile #20 due to a landslide. A large boulder fell and significantly damaged the pavement. The boulder has been pushed off to the side but the trail surface is very rough and it's best to walk your bike across.

IMG_003278.jpg
IMG_003274.jpg
IMG_003279.jpg

There are two closures on the GAP trail. The first is a culvert washout repair at mile #68 in Ohiopyle State Park. There is no possible detour but a bike shuttle service is available at the Ohiopyle Visitor center.

IMG_003329.jpg

A nine mile section of the GAP is closed between mile #59 in Harnedsville and mile #50 at Markleton. The Pinkerton High & Low Bridges are being resurfaced and there is no possible detour.

IMG_003330.jpg

I was about to turn around at the gate when a group of riders approached from the other side. They told me the bridges are now passable and the construction workers didn't object to riders crossing. We moved the gate temporarily and I rode on.

IMG_003334.jpg
IMG_003337.jpg

The old wooden planking is being replaced with concrete and riding across is now smooth as butter!

I'm told work will be completed in early May but anyone planning a ride before then should know it is possible to get across. It is difficult for one person to move the gates though. I was riding alone had had to wait for another rider to help.

Just a few notes to this old thread on some popular PA trails that may be of interest.

The Pine Creek Trail in north central PA is closed between Darling Run and Tiadaghton due to washouts & flooding. There is also a closure between Waterville and Whitetail due to a landslide. Work is underway to repair the trail in both locations.

The Western Maryland Rail Trail (WMRT) is officially closed until January 1925 for the long awaited repaving project. Although there are signs posted at trailheads, no attempt is being made to keep people out. I was able to ride there last week on the freshly milled trail surface. It's a bit rough, but far better than the old surface, which was riddled with root heaves.

A section of the GAP trail between Connellsville and Smithton is closed due to a pipe replacement project. I rode there 2 weeks ago and the trail is completely blocked off. There is a bike shuttle service available though. Check the GAP website for the schedule. The project is expected to be completed by November.

Due to the wet season, a section of the Lehigh Gorge trail, (also called the D&L Trail), between Glen Onkyo and Penn Haven Jct. is very soft in places and can be hazardous. Warning signs have been placed in some spots but not all. Caution should be used when riding this 5 mile section.

Back