Abandoned PA Turnpike Tunnel Ride Planning Thread

Anyone that's bringing radios, as long as they can transmit on FRS/GMRS frequencies, they should be good.

Also, I understand the issue of space, I was planning on bringing enough food for everyone that's coming, so there's no need for a bunch of people to setup tailgating. My new truck is big, I have more than enough space in the bed for my bike, a decent sized cooler and camp stoves and fuel.

I can't wait for you guys to go on this adventure. Radios is very good idea.
I was under the impression that these tunnels are long that goes on for miles.
The tunnels aren't really that long. Ray's Hill is 3532', almost .7 mile and Sideling Hill is 6782' or 1.3 miles. They just seem to go on forever though since you have to ride slowly to avoid any debris.

Yesterday I was in Coburn, PA in Centre County. We call that area "the Valleys" because comprises Nittany, Sugar, Brush and Penns valleys. While in a grocery store I saw a picture of the Coburn Tunnel, which isn't far from the store I was in. Decided to check it out: https://uncoveringpa.com/coburn-tunnel

Looks like there's a few tunnels in the area, none of them as long as the TP tunnels, but it could be fun to explore them. There's also a road called "The Narrows", which is a gap through the mountains cut by a small river. It's narrow (duh) and windy and runs from Penns Valley in Millheim to Brush Valley. I've already ridden through it once, it was a nice ride, there isn't much traffic that goes through there, and it's tight curves keep the speed down.

The fun part is passing buggies out there on a bike while also watching for traffic.

We have an abandoned above ground water tank that's called the Echo Chamber in Portsmouth, VA. Its located on a Super Fund site because it used to be part of a munitions factory. Not really a bike ride site though. Other than that I can explore our little city in Norfolk. Bunch of bums and the occasional shooting.

But if you want to organize a ride to the other tunnel post it up! I'd be down in a second!

We have an abandoned above ground water tank that's called the Echo Chamber in Portsmouth, VA. Its located on a Super Fund site because it used to be part of a munitions factory. Not really a bike ride site though. Other than that I can explore our little city in Norfolk. Bunch of bums and the occasional shooting.

But if you want to organize a ride to the other tunnel post it up! I'd be down in a second!
So Norfolk hasn't really changed since 1977? :)

Norfolk, VA got mentioned in the Motorhead book White Line Fever as being a dangerous place! THAT is a great endorsement, from Lemmy himself. But yeah, we still have our bad areas. And our oceanfront in Virginia Beach turns into a gangland war zone after dark.

My neighborhood is actually pretty good. I have to go into downtown for the unwanted excitement. I just stay moving but carry a big lock for if I stop somewhere!

I still want to do this, but I've just been so busy every day. Whether it's working on the trailer or doing the odd job to make extra money to work on the trailer. The other day I was delivering produce for a guy that couldn't find another driver. Yesterday it was taking my Amish friend around to get tobacco planted and get an old tobacco shed torn down. Today it was installing gas lines, going to a disappointing food truck event and fixing a big wood chipper that caught fire and now won't start.

Always plenty to do this time of year. I'm still interested as long as my schedule permits. I have several other trips planned over the next couple of months.

I was out there riding a month ago and took a look at the Pike 2 Bike on my way back. Everything is pretty much the same as it has been for the last decade or so.

I posted these pics earlier in the thread but I'm posting them again for easier reference.

There is now a narrow paved driveway up the steep bank at the western end of the trail. It is possible to drive up but there is no parking or room to turn around at the top. Visitors back up the bank, unload and drive down to park an the bottom. The location is noisy due to truck traffic on Route 30 and the parking area often fills up.

Pic 1.jpg

The parking area at the eastern end off Pump Station Road is small and difficult to find since it's at the end of a private driveway. The old abandoned Howard Johnson Rest Area has a locked gate and only used for special occasions.

Pic 3.jpg

The best place for a possible meet is still the little known DCNR game land parking area off Oregon Rd. It's midway between the tunnels at the center of the trail. It's also quiet and very secluded with easy trail access.

Pic 2.jpg

I'm booked through June and the first half of July. Beyond that, my ability to attend will depend on specific dates.

For those who followed this thread, I came across this hour long YouTube video, made by an individual who walked through the abandoned PA Turnpike tunnels. For anyone still interested, it's the next best thing to being there. Skip forward to 4:30 to avoid the intro.

I was just talking to some friends about renting a U-Haul van and just going. It's hard getting everyone's schedule in sync though.....

I still want to do this, but I think you guys know I've been pretty busy the last 11 months. I'll try to get something settled for spring. I'll bring the trailer along we can eat before we head out.

Just fucking go for it clear that tunnel make sure no gremlins in it.
U Haul definition in urban dictionary is
Haul you own Ebike
I'm not a fan of Uhaul. I tried to rent a tow dolly to move a 2000 GMC Jimmy to the shop towing it with my Sierra. They wouldn't rent one to me because they claimed my truck wasn't strong enough to tow a 5000lb vehicle.

I'm not a fan of Uhaul. I tried to rent a tow dolly to move a 2000 GMC Jimmy to the shop towing it with my Sierra. They wouldn't rent one to me because they claimed my truck wasn't strong enough to tow a 5000lb vehicle.
I have a U-Haul account. But last time I treed to rent a trailer my light connection has a short. So they denied renting me the trailer on the grounds of "safety". I still need to go under the Subaru Baja and see what's corroded or broken and fix it.

Yeah you need to have tires that can handle 5k pounds. Those wheels look like it belongs on a car.
Trailer wheels will hop and bounce without suspension.
That's just a random picture of a tow dolly I found. I've never seen one with suspension. Keep in mind, that in a tow dolly, the entire weight of the vehicle is not on the dolly as you're towing it from the front wheels. They didn't say their dolly couldn't handle the Jimmy, they said my truck wasn't strong enough to pull it, which it most certainly is.

If I can get the time to do this, I'll bring the trailer out and cook. Would you guys want to start in the morning or early afternoon? If it's morning obviously breakfast foods. But if it's lunch what would you guys like to eat? Don't worry about what's actually on our menu, I can make just about anything.

If I can get the time to do this, I'll bring the trailer out and cook. Would you guys want to start in the morning or early afternoon? If it's morning obviously breakfast foods. But if it's lunch what would you guys like to eat? Don't worry about what's actually on our menu, I can make just about anything.
error 404 on your sig link😟

Back