Abandoned PA Turnpike Tunnel Ride Planning Thread

Only thing would be a UFO. They always seem to kill all lights when in the area, right before they abduct you. Now onto ghost. I always tell my wife the easy way to get rid of a bad ghost is an old, loud 70's era solid state stereo playing a Melt Banana album (GREAT band by the way!) and a large barking dog. The ghost would get sick of the music, or musick as my wife calls it, and everyone hates a nuisance barking dog. The ghost would just go to the light to escape.

I doubt a UFO could fit in the tunnel and, as another thread pointed out, the only ghost I ever saw was friendly so I have zero ghost concerns. And if there happens to be a clown handing out candy in a dark tunnel I'm taking some! Clowns spread joy and fun!

Since this ride will be slower to enjoy the scenery I might take a regular analog bike. We'll see what bike I'll use when this gets closer to happening!

Rome, you need some pictures of the inside of that epic tunnel!

I have a puppy carrier for my bike, I can bring 25lbs of furry fury with me.

BHgRiy.jpg

A few pics of the Pike to Bike tunnels 10 years ago when I rode them on my analog bike:

Rays Hill 1.JPGRays Hill 2.JPGRays Hill 3.JPG
Sideling Hill 1.JPGSideling Hill 2.JPGSideling Hill 3.JPG

They've been cleaned up a bit since then but graffiti is still a problem.

There is quite a bit of elevation change, so riding an analog bike there is a lot of work.

Thanks for the pics and the heads-up about elevation changes. I forget PA has hills!

I went through the area today on the way from Mill Hall, PA to Winchester,Va. We will be staying in our RV in Winchester until the end of December to visit family.

I need to find something to ride for these upcoming tunnel adventures. Plus make sure I can get the rides there. Its winter on the east coast and the area where the tunnels are gets snow, so I'm assuming this is a spring/summer ride. I'm looking forward to it for sure!

I need to find something to ride for these upcoming tunnel adventures. Plus make sure I can get the rides there. Its winter on the east coast and the area where the tunnels are gets snow, so I'm assuming this is a spring/summer ride. I'm looking forward to it for sure!
Yeah, the plan was late spring/early summer. If we do spring, and it's 60F outside, it's gonna be cold in those tunnels, and chances are there could still be ice on the ground and the ceiling. Even the current in use tunnels drip water, and if you've gone through that tunnel in Newport News that goes under the bay, you know it drips water, at least it did in the mid 70's. :) I'm sure these tunnels would be dripping too.

Could get slippery 😏.
Island of Oahu is like cottage cheese in fact the Navy is in the process of decommissioning Red Hill fuel storage this place has miles and miles of tunnels of pipeline.
When it goes into State hands it could turn into a tourist attraction. Unless the State sells it to some billionaire and turn it to their own personal batcave.
When are you guys gonna kick Zuckerberg's ass off the islands?

I'm in on this tunnel trip when it happens. I just purchased a cheap and cheerful Lectric XP 3.0 step-thru. Holiday discount was hard to pass up. I'm gonna try and get the wife on it. But either way I'm in!

I had a thought lastnight. By the time this comes up, I should have enough time to outfit the truck with stuff that we could make breakfast on site before we ride off. I can bring a couple of campstoves, eggs, bacon, fried taters. Just a nice hardy meal before heading off. Sorry, no avacado toast.

I had a thought lastnight. By the time this comes up, I should have enough time to outfit the truck with stuff that we could make breakfast on site before we ride off. I can bring a couple of campstoves, eggs, bacon, fried taters. Just a nice hardy meal before heading off. Sorry, no avacado toast.
Sounds like a tailgate party. Great idea!

The western end near Breezewood would not be a good spot due to it's close proximity to busy, noisy US 30. The eastern end off Pump Station Rd is also not good due to limited space. A better location would be that DCNR game land parking area off Oregon Rd near the center of the trail. It's a fairly level half acre gravel lot.

The best possible place would be the old abandoned Howard Johnson rest area. The buildings have all been demolished and just a big concrete parking lot remains. The only problem with this spot is the entrance road is blocked off most of the time. I'm told it's only opened for special events like rallies, meets, etc. I don't know if a small group like ours would qualify and even who needs to be contacted.

To give a better idea of the layout, below are Google Earth screenshots of the parking areas:

Western end near Breezewood:
Breezewood.jpg

On a couple of occasions, I've driven my 4WD pickup to the top of the steep bank by the barricades to unload. My truck has a skid plate and is set up for off road use though. It's quite rough and risky for normal 4WD vehicles.

Oregon Road location, midway on the trail:
Oregon Rd..jpg

There's plenty of room, it's quiet and convenient to the trail.

Pump Station Road location at the eastern end:
Pump Station.jpg

Not much room to park or for a tailgate party.

For anyone who uses Google Earth or a GPS in their vehicle, the GPS coordinates are shown in the pics next to the yellow push pins. For anyone interested, here's a list so you can copy & paste them into G.E.

Breezewood: N39 59.996 W78 13.684
Oregon Rd: N40 02.676 W78 09.679
Pump Station: N40 02.870 W78 05.699

Keep in mind all the above was based on my last visit there 2 years ago. It's possible things have changed.

I have a dozen small 2 way radios with neck lanyards that I use for group rides. They're handy to keep everyone informed. If you don't mind riding with something around your neck, I'll bring them along. Thoughts?

Okay may I suggest an Emergency Recovery ATV and some of these.
I assume you're joking. :D Actually, the trail isn't that long. Walking a disabled bike would not be a big problem especially if we park at the trail center off Oregon Rd. There will also be others available to help if necessary.

Getting organized! I would think you would only need a few radios. On our not so organized motor scooter rides there is always a tail gunner, the end of the line rider who makes sure no one drops off (usually from break-downs) or goes missing (crashes in a turn). These are highly modded mopeds and we've rarely had problems when on rides, so with ebikes, outside of a dead battery I don't think anyone is going to break-down. That dirty F word is always a possibility, the FLAT. And the offer for a tailgate party, my wife eats on a schedule because of diabetic issues. Things I pack on rides:
I have 2 decent 2 way walkie-talkies. I need to see if the batteries haven't corroded in them.
Toilet paper.
Gel mace.
First Aid kit. Mostly for road rash.
Motorcycle tow strap. We've used this so many times.

Getting organized! I would think you would only need a few radios. On our not so organized motor scooter rides there is always a tail gunner, the end of the line rider who makes sure no one drops off (usually from break-downs) or goes missing (crashes in a turn). These are highly modded mopeds and we've rarely had problems when on rides, so with ebikes, outside of a dead battery I don't think anyone is going to break-down. That dirty F word is always a possibility, the FLAT. And the offer for a tailgate party, my wife eats on a schedule because of diabetic issues. Things I pack on rides:
I have 2 decent 2 way walkie-talkies. I need to see if the batteries haven't corroded in them.
Toilet paper.
Gel mace.
All good ideas.

Since I've been there so many times, I'll volunteer to be the "wagonmaster" and follow the group.

eggs, bacon, fried taters
Fruit cups, WW toast, and humus for old heart attack/stroke patients. Please.;) The old Modern Vespa crew often had regional events where members met and rode. THAT would be a cool result of regional friendships on EBR.

Toilet paper.
Gel mace.
I have 8 Baofeng UV5R's that can be configured for VOX. I'll be bringing what I call my "daily bag" It's fully stocked with supplies.

Back