"Best advice for new ebike riders" from us

If you can arrange it, ride uphill on the way out and downhill on the way back. If you run out of battery or have a failure, the pedaling is easier getting home.
Good advice and also applies to wind direction. Go out into and return with.

OP has sound advice for any make or model of eBike and what has held me in good stead for the past 7yrs.. I do admit to over doing it a few times and having a bit of a struggle getting back to home base. While some systems do the calculations for you there is no reason to fully depend on them when a bit of simple math that you can do on the fly will suffice. I might add that for me knowing my average wh/mi use at different speed/assist levels is important and I use it as a factor all the time when mapping out rides.

If you are lucky enough to live in a community that has a local biking/trails advocacy organization, do what you can to support it (contribute, join, volunteer, etc.). I am lucky enough to have such an organization (Linn County Trails Association) in Iowa. It has made tremendous progress the past few years in improving the biking infrastructure in our area.

biking/trails advocacy organization
Plus it is fun and social. Group rides are the best. I did free tune up demos last weekend at a community wellness event along the river along with cycling advocates. Now I am headed to a friend's bike shop. He is out of town and gave me the keys so I get to play bike shop this week and have a bunch of interesting conversations with cool local people. I am dropping off an e-cargo bike that I made so we can demo it and sell it. It is 7-feet long and was useless before it got converted. Now it is sweet. It can carry 220 kg on the back and 50 in the front basket. It means one less car. It is recycling cycling. Some lovely beansprouts yoga mom will love it. There are plenty in Coastal Nor. Cal.

It lives in the Hollywood Hills and will kick the butt of any factory bike.
Cycling is not about "kicking the butt", O, The Ignoring Person :) Cycling is about riding on. Is it a 10 mph "snail" or a Time Trial cyclist who is faster than anyone without any motor. It is one of the things you have never understood.

If you want to "kick the butt" of a cyclist, buy yourself a motorcycle.

My best advice to anyone is "Ride On!"

Last edited:
Here's my 2 cents after owning a few ebikes over the last 3+ years. Buy an ebike and ride the s*it out of it. Lube the chain and keep the tires inflated. Don't worry about how to charge the battery, and most of the advice offered on these boards. These are bikes. Too many get paralyzed by over researching and worrying about how to lock it up, how to clean the chain, how to put Slime in the tires. They are going to break. Then you can call 1800Junk

One additional advice for the new ebiker: hold your brakes on when mounting and dismounting. The heavier bike can easily slip away — causing both bike and rider to end up on the pavement.
It is advisable for any bike but the heavier the e-bike the more valuable the advice is.

I always carry tools and tubes, and wear my gloves and helmet for safety. On my e-bike I also carry my charger and a $10 bill. SHOULD I run out of battery somewhere, I can usually find a house or building that would allow a recharge for the $10 bill.

My advice for a new ebike rider? For starters, always carry a tire tube patch kit, even a spare tube and an air pump. Tire pressure gauge. At all times. Experiment with your saddle height and front saddle nose angle for the most comfortable fit for you. Always check tire inflation before a ride; you will get the most mileage from your battery with tires properly inflated.

I found a good side mirror, mounted to the left side of your handlebar, is your best defense if riding on the roads.

Use your ebike's High power setting and "spin the pedals" to get used to getting the most efficiency out of the drive system as well as YOU in any ride featuring extensive miles beyond 3 or 4. In High power, you'll get to understand how many miles you can squeeze out of a full charge. Cadence is a part of spinning for max efficiency. My happy time cadence is anywhere in the 70 rpm range. To stay in that range while encountering various road surfaces, grades (hills), etc, this means you will be constantly shifting your bike to stay in that happy cadence.

I think it's true of all ebikes: aside from the happy spin cadence range in the 70's, it's also true that the best over-the-road speed that yeilds the best mileage attained via full battery charge is 13 mph. And I found anything over 16 results in quicker battery charge consumption as our body becomes like a brick wall in the face of the wind it is trying to punch through!

This all seems like alot but it's not. It just becomes human nature every time you sit on the saddle. It's all about attaining and maintaining the highest efficiency's you can; while keeping in mind the fun of just getting out there and doing it!

My advice for a new ebike rider? For starters, always carry a tire tube patch kit, even a spare tube and an air pump. Tire pressure gauge. At all times. Experiment with your saddle height and front saddle nose angle for the most comfortable fit for you. Always check tire inflation before a ride; you will get the most mileage from your battery with tires properly inflated.

I found a good side mirror, mounted to the left side of your handlebar, is your best defense if riding on the roads.

Use your ebike's High power setting and "spin the pedals" to get used to getting the most efficiency out of the drive system as well as YOU in any ride featuring extensive miles beyond 3 or 4. In High power, you'll get to understand how many miles you can squeeze out of a full charge. Cadence is a part of spinning for max efficiency. My happy time cadence is anywhere in the 70 rpm range. To stay in that range while encountering various road surfaces, grades (hills), etc, this means you will be constantly shifting your bike to stay in that happy cadence.

I think it's true of all ebikes: aside from the happy spin cadence range in the 70's, it's also true that the best over-the-road speed that yeilds the best mileage attained via full battery charge is 13 mph. And I found anything over 16 results in quicker battery charge consumption as our body becomes like a brick wall in the face of the wind it is trying to punch through!

This all seems like alot but it's not. It just becomes human nature every time you sit on the saddle. It's all about attaining and maintaining the highest efficiency's you can; while keeping in mind the fun of just getting out there and doing it!
Agree with the left side mirror-must have. The other thing newbies should understand about riding their new ebikes is to assume every car and truck on the road does not see you riding your shiny new bike. They are either on their phones, in a hurry or flat out don't see cyclists period. I was almost hit twice in the last few days and only my defensive awareness prevented an accident. You need to structure your rides to avoid car and truck traffic as much as possible. Commuters in the bike lane are sitting ducks IMO...

Instead of a mirror I turn my head. Only folks who are out of shape and ride on weekends have a mirror around here.
Danny does okay without a mirror.

• Wear head, chest, shoulder, and knee protection.
  • Lights, lots of bright, flashing lights
  • Don't share the road with cars. Stay off of roads. If you cannot avoid roads for 90% of your ride, you might consider a different hobby. Just my opinion. There is a reason that NHTSA keeps stats on cyclists killed and injured on the road.
  • Use a mirror if riding on the road
"In the United States, a bicyclist is killed every six hours" due to a collision with a motor vehicle.
Bicyclists account for 2.3% of all motor vehicle related deaths per year. That's a lot considering how small the road cycling population is compared to all of the pedestrians and motor vehicle drivers/occupants.

47,000 bicyclists are injured in roadway crashes annually. 60% of them result in a concussion.
Federal Highway Administration

I just use a helmet mounted mirror. Let's me keep eyes forward.
Skeptical. I expect issues with the sight refocusing. Also, what happens to the mirror if you crash onto that side? Helmet is not just headgear. It is to protect your head and possibly face on impact, to the level the helmet will crack but your skull probably would remain intact. Now, I visualize the mirror getting straight into your brains through the eye socket...

Skeptical. I expect issues with the sight refocusing. Also, what happens to the mirror if you crash onto that side? Helmet is not just headgear. It is to protect your head and possibly face on impact, to the level the helmet will crack but your skull probably would remain intact. Now, I visualize the mirror getting straight into your brains through the eye socket...
The EVT helmet mirrors I use have a break away feature.

Back