"Best advice for new ebike riders" from us

Skeptical. I expect issues with the sight refocusing. Also, what happens to the mirror if you crash onto that side? Helmet is not just headgear. It is to protect your head and possibly face on impact, to the level the helmet will crack but your skull probably would remain intact. Now, I visualize the mirror getting straight into your brains through the eye socket...
Well I do wear glasses, either regular prescription or prescription sunglasses all the time. If I crash I crash.

If I crash I crash.
I wear glasses, too. Crashed many times, one time as seriously as the helmet cracked. Really Dave, the helmet is to prevent damage to the skull, not to serve as an accessory hanger. Otherwise we might as well ride helmetless. Consider please what I said.

I think one thing to remember with new e-bike riders is to not overwhelm them with too much information right away. That is why I kept my advice pretty simple. As they gain more experience, then may be the right time for more advice, when they are ready for it.

Must haves for a commuter.

Left side mirror.

Good tire protection, ex;Tannus armor.

Bell or horn.

Ride WITH traffic. Drivers pulling out of driveways aren’t ready for a bicycle on their left to come toward them and rarely look for that.

Lights, front and rear.

HELMET!! Even if you think you have it on, double check. Also, if you wear a headsock, make double sure. I made it all the way to work without realizing that I left my helmet in my garage.

On giving advice: Harry Truman had several grandchildren. When one of the later ones arrived, an interviewer asked, "Mr. President, what's your advice on giving advice to children?"

Truman's ready answer: "My advice on giving advice to children is to find out what they want to do and advise them to do it."

Pretty sure that also applies to ebike newbies — or anyone else for that matter.

Quite the frightful imagination you have there Stefan. :)
Call it "experience". It sounds funny until you've crashed yourself, and a crash is something you can never predict.

1697259928834.png

There is a specific form of a bike crash during which you rapidly fall on your face, typically onto the left hand side of the bike. Happens on black ice, in the mud, and on wet leaves. April 4th, 2023.

1697259588689.png

Riding in semi coma post my most dangerous crash. June 17th, 2023.

1697259649834.png

Even if it does not look so, the liner of the helmet was already cracked in half at the moment of taking this photo. June 17th, 2023.

Instead of a mirror I turn my head. Only folks who are out of shape and ride on weekends have a mirror around here.
Danny does okay without a mirror.
I have 2 responses: 1) Turning your head to see what's coming up behind you takes your eyes off what's ahead of you, or coming at you from left or right. I never ride without my helmet mirror. Danny doesn't need a mirror on this ride because he doesn't have high speed vehicles roaring up from behind. Why the heck would he have to see behind him on that ride? 2) I would love to see sequences like his crazy ride used in action movies--bad guys chasing good guy, etc. Much more interesting than cars smashing into stuff, and a lot more skill involved (yes, I realize the car smashing requires skill too).

Last edited:
Talk of mirrors reminds me of one of my pet peeves in movies: during a chase scene, the driver being chased always turns around to see his pursuer, which of course means he takes his eyes off the road at very dicey moment. Haven't they heard of rear-view mirrors? All a mirror requires is a quick glance. Besides, at my age I can't turn around far enough to see back, which is why I no longer participate in high speed chases.
Call it "experience". It sounds funny until you've crashed yourself, and a crash is something you can never predict.

View attachment 164578
There is a specific form of a bike crash during which you rapidly fall on your face, typically onto the left hand side of the bike. Happens on black ice, in the mud, and on wet leaves. April 4th, 2023.

View attachment 164576
Riding in semi coma post my most dangerous crash. June 17th, 2023.

View attachment 164577
Even if it does not look so, the liner of the helmet was already cracked in half at the moment of taking this photo. June 17th, 2023.
The mirror I use is attached to the top of the helmet, not the rim. In a crash of that type, it should push the mirror up and back. Anyhow, crashes are so chaotic, it's hard to predict exactly what's going to happen to you or your gear. In my one serious crash, I got slammed instantly onto my left side, giving me a mild concussion and a cracked hip socket. I did not ride away from that crash. Woke up as they were putting me on the gurney. Of course, I never used that helmet again. The one time I crashed on black ice, I banged up my knee a little, and tore a new pair of pants. I was not going fast at the time, in fact I was turning sharply to the left to begin ascending a steep but short hill. I ended up walking the bike up the hill, and that's when I realized that asphalt may be slipperier than concrete in icy conditions. (This was an acoustic, not an ebike). (Note to language geeks: I don't like that spelling of the comparative form of slippery, but that's what spell check prefers).

Last edited:
One thing to consider in this mirror debate.... There are a lot of older people learning about the benefits of an ebike and the fact that they have a new world open to them. I will assume these riders have mup's around them they can ride to be safe from traffic. Some of these people haven't ridden in many many years.
Why suggest that someone needs to turn around to look when a simple glance can alleviate lots of worry? Plus some people have medical reasons that a mirror can solve. A mirror is cheaper than a visit to the E. R.
Please keep this to advice and not preaching your view point.

I lived on the Northern California Coast for several years. I would pop off the rear view mirror and place it in the passenger's seat front pocket before driving on Hwy 1. Then I could see the entire road ahead on those intense twistiness with climbs and descents. Otherwise the middle of my view was blocked by a brick so I couldn't see a cow right in front of me on the free range road.
1697388506955.jpeg
1697389167443.jpeg

Best advice I can think of if it's been years (or decades) since a newbie rode a bike is go rent and ride a couple of manual bikes before committing to any ebike. Make sure you really like riding a bike in your area in the first place.
There are many ebikes that are still bikes not small motorcycles, and others where the pedals could just be footpegs with no loss. But they all face the same weather, traffic, infrastructure and such joys ...

You need even brighter lights for daytime.

Rear radar is a great addition to a side mirror.

Practice turning your head behind without swerving.

If arriving at a 4-way stop with cars already waiting, yield to them. The amount of single speed riders that bomb through everything as if they are playing GTA is too high. E-bikes make stop/start so much easier.

Several manufacturers out there for mirrors. Based on the recommendation of others on this site, I went with the Hafny brand of mirror. Here's their website: https://www.hafnycomponents.com/bike-mirrors Nicely made, smart design. Great mirror optics. And even on the bike paths, I always give a glance every now and then, nice to know what's coming up behind you.
Like pedaluma, I thought mirrors were for losers for years, as I get older with less neck mobility I finally gave in.

If one wants a more minimalistic mirror, I highly recommend the The Beam Corky Urban, I use it on everything except my dedicated hard trails only eMTB

https://www.amazon.com/Beam-Rear-view-Handlebar-360-degree-Rotation/dp/B08NCF4Z2X/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=The+Beam+Corky+Urban&qid=1697428365&sr=8-1&th=1

Lot of reviews on youtube

One example:

Last edited:
Been riding two wheelers all my life and used all kinds of mirrors. At an advanced age or 84 I am now using a helmet mirror which took me quite a while to get used to but once I did I do like it. Not easy to get used to though and it does need to be adjusted just right. I is also causes less wind resistance which is a plus. Not a biggie but everything counts.

Here is my top advice that is a massive overview. Learn your battery. Do a battery range test. It does not need to be a one day adventure. Figure out how you ride and how far that battery will help you. Read it in voltage and not in percentage according to the bike.

Any other first time advice is welcome.

I installed one of these,..

20231006_080158.jpg

It's stupid simple to read, with no math involved.
If you can read a fuel gage on a car, you can read this voltmeter.
I think the needle picks up speed as your battery drains, (I haven't tested it enough yet), but you get a feel for that over time.

You can visually see your halfway point.

Prosport 48 Volt Golf Cart... https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B06ZY1WXLP?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I have only been riding an ebike for about 3 years now, and have kinda planned small group rides for the last 2. Here is my top advice that is a massive overview. Learn your battery. Do a battery range test. It does not need to be a one day adventure. Figure out how you ride and how far that battery will help you. Read it in voltage and not in percentage according to the bike.
Where this can payoff...
When riding to your end points before the turnaround. Ride conservatively. Milk that battery. Once you know your voltage cutoff, the ride back can be fun and fast (trail rules!)
Any other first time advice is welcome.

We quite often go on group rides with leader setting at leisurely 10-12mph pace.
Most riders are using eco or tour with 30miles rides well within everybody's battery range

For couple rides my wife and I ride about 12-15mph and typically in tour mode.

• Wear head, chest, shoulder, and knee protection.
  • Lights, lots of bright, flashing lights
  • Don't share the road with cars. Stay off of roads. If you cannot avoid roads for 90% of your ride, you might consider a different hobby. Just my opinion. There is a reason that NHTSA keeps stats on cyclists killed and injured on the road.
  • Use a mirror if riding on the road
"In the United States, a bicyclist is killed every six hours" due to a collision with a motor vehicle.
Bicyclists account for 2.3% of all motor vehicle related deaths per year. That's a lot considering how small the road cycling population is compared to all of the pedestrians and motor vehicle drivers/occupants.

47,000 bicyclists are injured in roadway crashes annually. 60% of them result in a concussion.
Federal Highway Administration
I would hate to be killed every six hours. Seems like once is enough (sorry).

Back