"Best advice for new ebike riders" from us

I would hate to be killed every six hours. Seems like once is enough (sorry).

I like to see what's coming up behind me.
I would hate to die 4 times a day.
That's too much work and preparation. 😂

20231002_121404.jpg

Prometheus got his liver eaten by an eagle every day. It was because he stole the technology of fire from the gods.

1698183769503.jpeg

I would hate to be killed every six hours. Seems like once is enough (sorry).
Been riding two wheelers all my life and used all kinds of mirrors. At an advanced age or 84 I am now using a helmet mirror which took me quite a while to get used to but once I did I do like it. Not easy to get used to though and it does need to be adjusted just right. I is also causes less wind resistance which is a plus. Not a biggie but everything counts.
Sometimes what I see coming up behind me isn't a car or truck, but another cyclist, and likely as not it's not an ebike, but an acoustic bike being ridden hard by a young, buff roadie; and that young, buff roadie may be female. And they may be on an acoustic mountain bike. And they pass me like I'm standing still. Warning: that's what happens when you get to be 86 yo. And I didn't do that on purpose; it just happened when I wasn't looking.

Last edited:
Skeptical. I expect issues with the sight refocusing. Also, what happens to the mirror if you crash onto that side? Helmet is not just headgear. It is to protect your head and possibly face on impact, to the level the helmet will crack but your skull probably would remain intact. Now, I visualize the mirror getting straight into your brains through the eye socket...
I wear varifocal glasses and though I’ve tried several times, can’t focus on helmet mirrors. I have a Mirrycle on my handle bar end on my Vado SL. Not perfect, but it works.

I wear varifocal glasses and though I’ve tried several times, can’t focus on helmet mirrors. I have a Mirrycle on my handle bar end on my Vado SL. Not perfect, but it works.
I wear glasses with moderate correction, and have no problem focussing with the helmet mirror, though I don't claim to be able to read the license plate of a car approaching from behind. Just because something doesn't work for one person doesn't mean it can't work for someone else.

Hello,

Great to hear about your ebike experiences! Your focus on learning your battery's range is excellent advice. Knowing how far you can go and managing your battery usage wisely makes for a better, safer ride. Ride conservatively to your destination, then enjoy a fun ride back, keeping an eye on the voltage. Always remember safety first and regular bike maintenance. If you have any questions or need more tips, feel free to ask.

Since this old thread has been revived, here's another trick I use when trail riding. I park at a trailhead in the middle of the planned route and ride in both directions. This lessens the distance I have to cover should a failure occur.
For the same reason, I ride "star" patterns (out and back in several directions from home) when my knee's acting up and I don't know how far to trust it.

Even when it's in a bad mood, it usually tolerates 10-15 miles if I keep my cadence up at all times. Easy enough to do on an ebike with the right gearing, but the tolerance is still subject to change without notice. Once the knee starts complaining on the bike, best not to be too far from home. A throttle for emergency backup also helps.

Last edited:
Sometimes what I see coming up behind me isn't a car or truck, but another cyclist, and likely as not it's not an ebike, but an acoustic bike being ridden hard by a young, buff roadie; and that young, buff roadie may be female. And they may be on an acoustic mountain bike. And they pass me like I'm standing still. Warning: that's what happens when you get to be 86 yo. And I didn't do that on purpose; it just happened when I wasn't looking.
Don't feel bad — same thing happens to me at 75. Lots of fit unmotorized roadies around here, and they often leave me in the dust.

Granted, I usually ride with low assist, and that generally means under 15 mph. But it still makes me feel old for a few seconds.Then I remember that I AM old.

20230919_173152.jpg

But hey, I'm still out on an ebike in beautiful scenery and loving every minute of it, hills and all. Lucky to be old in the ebike era.

Back