Pedal Assist Types - Speed and Watt cut offs

Jeff_K

Region
USA
I am new to Ebiking, and have two different bikes.
Trying to identify how PAS should function.

On a GoPower Express 750w fat 20" folder, my PAS seems to be related to speed.
‘Once I hit a certain speed, if I continue to pedal, the motor will stop drawing watts.
The speed limit is relational to each PAS setting.
‘This is great when I’m pedaling down hill or over a desired speed to keep cadence but do not want the motor on,
but then want it to kick in if I fall below the desired speed.

Next, I modified an Ecotric Dolphin with a KT Sinewave Controller and LCD 3 (upgraded because the original setup in PAS 1 was too strong at 14mph)
The pas,no matter the level, will always draw motor watts at any speed.
The watt draw is relative to the PAS setting, and incrementally increases with each level.
‘This seems to be more of an on or off system when pedaling.
‘This drains the battery quicker than my other bike, as the bike is constantly drawing power if pedaling.

I am trying to identify both
1. Is there something a miss with one of my bikes on how PAS should work Or are there varying cadence setups?
2. Is there a way to achieve the speed cut off system on my Ecotric Dolphin?

Below are my current settings on the Ecotric with a KT controller(36v48v 20amp)/lcd3 upgrade:

Wheel Size 23" P1 85 P2 1 P3 1 P4 0 P5 15
C1 00 C2 0 C3 0 C4 0 C5 10 C6 4 C7 1 C8 0 C9 0 C10 N
C11 0 C12 4 C13 0 C14 3

Jeff,
The KT gives you a choice of speed based PAS or power based PAS using P3 (P3 = 1 = power based PAS). Further, it allows you to determine how much assist is available using C5 to adjust the power available to the motor, then use C14 for fine trimming. If you have it set up with everything it has available full time, battery mileage is never going to be very good. The better plan is to set it up for only what you really need.

Set it how you like (may require some tinkering to see what it can do), but I have/have had several bikes I've converted to KT and set them up so PAS 1 = something under 100w for available power. I have 1000w+ bikes and find 35 mile range on a 14ah battery pack something that's done pretty easily, but I ride pretty conservatively.

I found that I really sucked when riding an e-bike efficiently early on. There's clearly more to it than first meets the eye. It took me a few hundred miles to really get it down where I could use PAS levels and what gear I was in under different conditions to get max battery mileage. That's STILL a game a play with myself, seeing what I can do on each charge 5 years later.... -Al

Jeff,
The KT gives you a choice of speed based PAS or power based PAS using P3 (P3 = 1 = power based PAS). Further, it allows you to determine how much assist is available using C5 to adjust the power available to the motor, then use C14 for fine trimming. If you have it set up with everything it has available full time, battery mileage is never going to be very good. The better plan is to set it up for only what you really need.

Set it how you like (may require some tinkering to see what it can do), but I have/have had several bikes I've converted to KT and set them up so PAS 1 = something under 100w for available power. I have 1000w+ bikes and find 35 mile range on a 14ah battery pack something that's done pretty easily, but I ride pretty conservatively.

I found that I really sucked when riding an e-bike efficiently early on. There's clearly more to it than first meets the eye. It took me a few hundred miles to really get it down where I could use PAS levels and what gear I was in under different conditions to get max battery mileage. That's STILL a game a play with myself, seeing what I can do on each charge 5 years later.... -Al
Thanks Al...these tips were a huge asset into helping me fine tune the KT controller to how I wanted PAS to function.

Back