Over50's Trek Allant 9.9s Chronicles

Well as I posted previously, I wasn't really a fan of having my phone front and center on the bar. Moreso for security reasons: in a commute scenario, where I'm riding alone, usually in the dark. I didn't want someone to mistake my lowly Samsung device for an I-phone leading to an armed phone jacking at an intersection. Anyway, I got the Kiox a few weeks ago but the stock mount does not work with the proprietary stem on the 9.9s. I hunted high and low for the Acid mount for Kiox as seen on various OEM websites such as Moustache, Cube and KTM. This is the mountain bike mount. I could not find it available in the US or EU. I sent out several inquiries to some well known Bosch e-bike sellers and received responses indicating the mount would not be widely available until later in the Fall. I was checking the web every few days and early this week it showed up as available on the @Scooteretti website. They overnighted it to me. So thanks to them. The LBS did the swap and I gave the Cobi to the LBS manager who wanted it for one of his bikes.
View attachment 66583
Could you elaborate on the stock Kiox mount not being compatible with the allant 9.9. Is it different that then the smartphone hub mount that clamps on both sides of the stem to the handlebar? Also do you know if it required any programming by the dealer or was it just swapping in the hardware?

Could you elaborate on the stock Kiox mount not being compatible with the allant 9.9. Is it different that then the smartphone hub mount that clamps on both sides of the stem to the handlebar?

Yes, I think the stock Kiox mount bolts on to the stem cap. But the stem on the 9.9s is a solid piece that doesn't have a center bolt. The Kiox stock mount is different than the Cobi mount. Honestly, I'm not sure why Bosch didn't offer an option to order the Kiox with a mount similar to the Cobi.

Now I see some pictures of the kiox mount using the stem bolt. I think I will wait for the USA nyon. That seems to have a clamp handlebar mount like the smartphone hub and uses the same wiring. There is a supernova adapter for the nyon mount that mounts the M99 as well. The 9.9 proprietary stem looks nice, but is a real pain with accessories and you basically can't make any stem changes. I think you can change it out for conventional stems but it would look really ugly on the frame.

Is the Kiox superior in features to COBI?

I prefer the small, discreet display which offers a lot of feedback. And of course, as I mentioned, I didn't really want to use my phone as the main display for security reasons.

This is my first few hours with the Kiox so I'm still trying to figure it out. I think, after a software update the 8-9 screens will be customizable. I'll try that tomorrow.

Here is a con: Cobi updated automatically to Strava. With Kiox, I only see the option to update to Komoot.

I think the reduced navigation functionality could be a con - Kiox has navigation but goes through your phone via Bluetooth and presents a line with turn directions and distance to destination. Since I haven't traveled with my bike I never used navigation on the Cobi/phone. Soon I'll plan a route on my laptop using the Bosch software and transfer it to the Kiox. Just to give it a try.

Some pros - some of which might be opinion: good thing it has gorilla glass because the first thing I did when I pulled it off of the display is drop the Kiox onto the concrete face first - no apparent scratches. I like the various displays of my power vs motor power. The opening screen shows graphically the rider contribution vs the motor contribution. Subsequent screens show rider output digitally. I find that useful. The various screens pack in a lot of information but I think it is info that was mostly available in Cobi such as cadence, power etc. I didn't have any use for some of the Cobi functions such as music (I need my ears when I ride). For the most part though, I prefer to see the ride stats such as cadence and power post-ride as averages. I'm not sure yet if it shows you that info in the ride summaries. Cobi didn't.

I think the Specialized Mission Control is superior software at this point, relative to E-bike Connect that is. 3 things I can think of about Mission Control I believe are superior. 1. I can customize the motor's assist levels, 2). it gives me important post-ride stats such as WHs used and average assist level and 3). it has the function to plan a ride and designate the amount of battery you want to return with - then the software determines the assist level. The TCD display on my Vado SL is minimal in feedback but Mission Control tracks the key stats I want to see on a post-ride basis. While riding, I generally just want to see the basics. The Kiox has a very nice, and easy to read display and is certainly way more robust vs the Specialized TCD (in a similar-sized package). But the Mission Control software and the ability to customize the motor's output is a big advantage to Specialized IMO.

I've had the intention to write a summary of my observations on the Vado SL vs the Allant 9.9s. Just haven't had time but hope to do so soon.

Last edited:
Kiox is a nice display with the advantage of a small size, the new nylon is basically a bigger version. The kiox does not dominate your handlebar like the smartphone and kiox and even the intuvia which is pretty big. As noted above they have similar features except you don’t need to put your phone right on the bike. I’m sure that was a good thought initially but theft and getting it knocked off is a concern although that has not happened to me. The big display of the phone is very nice though. The other COBI advantage is that since your smartphone is running the COBI app, it can potentially interface with any app on your phone if COBI programs it. For example Apple Watch gives you heart rate monitoring and auto download of your workout to the health app. The watch also allows pausing and ending the workout. I would say it’s not that one is better then the others but it’s nice to have options to best suit your needs.

@Over50 just curious as to what the terms were from your Trek shop regarding replacement of the OEM light with the supernova m99 mini pro 45.

Did they charge you anything to replace it or do it gratis?

Did they leave the OEM tail light on or replace that as well? If they left the original tail light in place does it switch on and off with the headlight?

I am finally getting to the headlight issue on my Allant 9.9 with Trek.

Last edited:
@Over50 just curious as to what the terms were from your Trek shop regarding replacement of the OEM light with the supernova m99 mini pro 45.

Did they leave the OEM tail light on or replace that as well? If they left the original tail light in place does it switch on and off with the headlight?

I think they charged me some labor. What they gave me free labor on was the hub change and SRAM install. If I recall correctly.

I left the stock taillight because for commuting I always supplement with a powerful taillight like the Rotlicht under the saddle and a Bontrager on my helmet. Whereas the headlamp was more important since my night vision isn't the greatest. And the stock headlight was just too weak IMO. It does turn on and off with the light control on the (now) Kiox in sync w the headlamp.

My shop couldn't get the headlamp but fortunately a well known shop on this site was able to sell me one directly. This was awhile ago so maybe they are readily available now.

The Nyon is much more than just a bigger version of the Kiox. It has wifi, GPS, robust navigation features including turn by turn, User customizable ride and fitness screens with a multitude of data points available, user custom ride mode which would allow the user to set a baseline ride mode with less assist than standard Eco, maps are stored in on board memory so a cell connection is not required for navigation.

Here is a new video Chris Nolte did on the features of the new Nyon.

I have been using the old Nyon for over two years. The new one has a smaller screen, is in portrait orientation rather than landscape and has a touch screen.

I think they charged me some labor. What they gave me free labor on was the hub change and SRAM install. If I recall correctly.

I left the stock taillight because for commuting I always supplement with a powerful taillight like the Rotlicht under the saddle and a Bontrager on my helmet. Whereas the headlamp was more important since my night vision isn't the greatest. And the stock headlight was just too weak IMO. It does turn on and off with the light control on the (now) Kiox in sync w the headlamp.

My shop couldn't get the headlamp but fortunately a well known shop on this site was able to sell me one directly. This was awhile ago so maybe they are readily available now.
does that mean that you had to pay for the light or did Trek cover that?

Another huge difference between the new Nyon and Kiox is the Nyon snaps into the mount securely and will not come bouncing off the bike after hitting a hard bump. The Kiox is attached magnetically and can come loose with a hard hit. There is a retaining screw to secure it but then it cannot be easily removed when parking the bike. Chris shows the new Nyon mount/dismount method in the video.

The new nyon really looks like a good product, I want to retrofit it on the allant to change out the smartphone hub. The wiring is the same, hopefully, I can just install it myself.

Another huge difference between the new Nyon and Kiox is the Nyon snaps into the mount securely and will not come bouncing off the bike after hitting a hard bump.

There are multiple KIOX mounts available. Every OEM has their own holders for KIOX. @Over50 has the CUBE one and Trek has their own.
We have a custom KIOX mount that secures the display in just like the NYON:

Zen Kiox Mount.jpg

Speaking of the Mission Control.....I have it on an iPhone 7 that I use as a 'dedicated' bicycle device. The iPhone 7 has no paid cellular service associated with it. It does however have the GPS functionality, Wi-FI, etc., so when I start Mission Control prior to my rides (testing purposes, etc.) all does what it is supposed to do.
At the end of my rides Mission Control has registered all relevant data, the toggle and associated Strava button is on in (as from the start/setup from Day One) but when I go to transmit it (via the automated process when ending the ride in Mission Control), it fails. Does it need cellular to send the data or Wi-Fi? Although it saves the data that I can send a .fit file to Strava manually, it never does so automatically.
Additionally, when using Strava independently, it works as it should, and when I arrive home and end the ride on the iPhone 7 with no SIM card, the Strava data is automatically uploaded via the Wi-Fi signal associated to my home.
So, is Mission Control dependent on Cellular data to transmit the ride to Strava or am I missing something?

If I choose to, I can use my Apple Watch with a cellular plan and it works as intended, as well as if I use my 'real' phone that is in my bag.

I'm just not understanding the requirements of Mission Control and it's integration to Strava not working correctly and am asking here.
BTW, 3 attempted e-mails and 2 phone calls with voice mails messages left for Specialized over the last few weeks, ZERO response.
I think I had complained about this previously and got my head handed to me by members here if I am correct that my expectations should not be so stringent.
Just saying that one might think that if you by a bike for a few thousand dollars you might get some answers from the creators rather than assumptions and opinions as to what a LBS mechanics tell you.
I thought that was what "customer service" is supposed to be about.
A tad frustrating to have to share opinions, as well as real time experiences via alternative means like here to get answers.
It's almost like abandonment.
Like the chan fiasco. How many links, is it tapered, is it directional, is it (and why differences) because of different cassettes (and why), etc.

All I'm saying is that I am one happy, satisfied, problem free person with my Vado 5.0 with next to no issues whatsoever and I'm wanting to become more aware and knowledgable and would hope that the 'Mother Ship' might b a bit more consumer orientated.

With my 3 previous Trek e-bikes, I can say I had many problems, and the Corporate entity stepped up to the plate, communicated, conversed, addressed and assisted with similar inquiries or referred it to LBS's with the level of knowledge needed to assist.

Why not Specalized, are they asleep, skeleton crews, diminished capacity to handle business?

All, very valid questions.

So not to get off the inital question....anyone have any idea about the Mis

re: "I am finally getting to the headlight issue on my Allant 9.9 with Trek"
Is that issue the ambient light problem you mentioned previously or something new?

does that mean that you had to pay for the light or did Trek cover that?

I paid for the light. Why would Trek cover that? It wasn't defective like the hub. Just underpowered but not defective. I don't see why the OEM or shop would cover a swap that isn't based on a defect.

The Nyon is much more than just a bigger version of the Kiox. It has wifi, GPS, robust navigation features including turn by turn, User customizable ride and fitness screens with a multitude of data points available, user custom ride mode which would allow the user to set a baseline ride mode with less assist than standard Eco, maps are stored in on board memory so a cell connection is not required for navigation.

Here is a new video Chris Nolte did on the features of the new Nyon.

I have been using the old Nyon for over two years. The new one has a smaller screen, is in portrait orientation rather than landscape and has a touch screen.
I saw that vid was there too, it was 1 hour 6 min long! Will have to wait and watch when I have an hour to kill with the rain coming down :) I will most likely change from the hub to the nyon when available.

I paid for the light. Why would Trek cover that? It wasn't defective like the hub. Just underpowered but not defective. I don't see why the OEM or shop would cover a swap that isn't based on a defect.
Mine is defective as it supposed to go into an intermittent or blink mode in daylight and mine does not do that. Combine that with the fact the light generates excessive heat to the point where you cannot keep a finger on it for more than a second or two and it reduces the bikes range by at least 10%, I conclude that mine is in fact defective or poorly designed and speced at a minimum.

Mine is defective as it supposed to go into an intermittent or blink mode in daylight and mine does not do that. Combine that with the fact the light generates excessive heat to the point where you cannot keep a finger on it for more than a second or two and it reduces the bikes range by at least 10%, I conclude that mine is in fact defective or poorly designed and speced at a minimum.

Wow. Defective light, issues with hub, battery falling out issues (me), hard shifting (me), wow...makes me wanna run out to buy one again and retrofit it to make it right.
God bless your patience.

re: "I am finally getting to the headlight issue on my Allant 9.9 with Trek"
Is that issue the ambient light problem you mentioned previously or something new?
Yes it is the failure of the ambient light sensor and the fact that it runs so hot and burns so much power.

Back