Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

It seems the weather for Sunday has taken a turn for the worse, not really sure if I will get another ride in this year but I haven't totally given up just yet! I'm quite happy with my stats for the year, 5616 miles from 96 rides giving me an average of 58.5 miles! Last year I had 118 rides but my average was much less!

Ride of the year has to be my 162 mile ride to St Andrews and back, my longest ever 1 day ride! All in memory of my dear old dad who just loved the home of golf but had no interest in the game itself! 🤣 He just loved the tranquility of the place and visited every year until last year when he was no longer capable of the journey! I intend to do the ride every year while I am still able to, its such as lovely ride!👍 I will wait for the right day with calm winds like this year when I managed 83 miles on my original battery, that really surprised me considering it was over 4 years old at the time!

I had another walk in the Brownsburn Community park today and it was much nicer than yesterday, more pics below along with my ride stats for the year!
20221214_095535.jpg
20221214_095541.jpg
20221214_095552.jpg
20221214_100929.jpg
20221214_100932.jpg
20221214_100935.jpg
20221214_100938.jpg

Screenshot_20221214_143442_Ride with GPS.jpg

It seems the weather for Sunday has taken a turn for the worse, not really sure if I will get another ride in this year but I haven't totally given up just yet! I'm quite happy with my stats for the year, 5616 miles from 96 rides giving me an average of 58.5 miles! Last year I had 118 rides but my average was much less!

Ride of the year has to be my 162 mile ride to St Andrews and back, my longest ever 1 day ride! All in memory of my dear old dad who just loved the home of golf but had no interest in the game itself! 🤣 He just loved the tranquility of the place and visited every year until last year when he was no longer capable of the journey! I intend to do the ride every year while I am still able to, its such as lovely ride!👍 I will wait for the right day with calm winds like this year when I managed 83 miles on my original battery, that really surprised me considering it was over 4 years old at the time!

I had another walk in the Brownsburn Community park today and it was much nicer than yesterday, more pics below along with my ride stats for the year!View attachment 142508View attachment 142509View attachment 142510View attachment 142511View attachment 142512View attachment 142513View attachment 142514

View attachment 142507
Pictures of the Old Course please!

Just a recap of the past few weeks, been dealing with parents and family on both sides of the marriage
Being a jack of all trades certainly puts you i demand.

It did slightly snow, but boy it was slippy, I usually glide along this path but today the front and back wheels were going everywhere, and I didn't fancy a sand and snow sandwich going over that edge.
SDD1.jpg

Its quite unusual to get it actually on the dunes, it barely snows in this part of England, we get to watch the country 10ft deep on the news, and it can actually be warm out.
What surprised me was I thought I would easily breakthrough to the sand for grip, but it was very slippy indeed, it was really just thick frost , another anomaly of fat tyres, they roll over the top, which also means they don't dig in.
SDD2.jpg

The wife stuck to the beach on her gravel bike, there is always a thin strip of hard sand right next to where the tide leaves all the sea debris.
SDD3.jpg

Back to the edge, I was just going to kamikaze it down in a straight line, no chance of braking or steering....
SDD4.jpg

I'm so glad I didn't, there was this 4ft drop off at the bottom, that would have tested my bolted together bike for sure.
Americanism there..for sure, its nearly as bad as gotten.
SDD5.jpg

There was a Christmas event in the nearby Pontins holiday camp, this awesome animatronic Yeti band, with full speech sync, singing all kinds of classic songs

SDD6.jpg

Back down to Plymouth, left my dad with the staff in the MRI and went for a spin on the bike, found this cool fort, Crownhill fort
SDD7.jpg

Crownhill Fort is one of ten Forts and Batteries built in the 1860s to defend Plymouth’s naval base from a French attack. Advances in naval power throughout the 1850s led to Lord Palmerston’s government approving the largest upgrade of Britain's fixed defences in peacetime history.
The threat was thought to be from the Second French Empire, under the control of Emperor Louis Napoleon since 1852. During Napoleon III's reign he sought to increase France's influence within Europe

SDD9.jpg

Bit dodgy walking down icy step with no rails

SDD10.jpg

No idea what this tunnel is for, supplies I presume, cant find out how long it is either. the grafiiti proves this gate was open at some point.
The fort is now apartments, pretty cool place to live.
SDD11.jpg

While winter on the prairies can be fierce, with cold temperatures and frequent snow, yesterday was as perfect a day as I could have asked for. It took most of the morning and part of the afternoon for it to warm up but as soon as it did, I was out the door. I’ve been trying my best to make use of the recently mild weather and today was by far the best day to be out on the trails. Slightly wider tracks and decent hard pack created from all of the traffic allowed me to pick up some speed on the singles which was a pleasant surprise given the snowy conditions.

Web capture_15-12-2022_22284_ridewithgps.com.jpeg

My ride wouldn't have been complete without a spin around the ice at Bower Ponds. It’s open to the public around mid-December so my timing was perfect. There was only one skater taking advantage of the excellent conditions on this sunny afternoon so there was plenty of room for the two of us to avoid crashing into one another. The other half of the pond was temporarily closed as the crews were still assessing the ice surface for flooding.

GH010503 - frame at 2m57s.jpg

GH010503 - frame at 2m42s.jpg

This footbridge over the river and the double track leading up to it see a lot of year-round use and they provide convenient access to the Heritage Ranch from the north side of the local tributary.

DJI_0092 - frame at 0m20s.jpg

The Ranch has been my favorite winter hangout thus far as it’s a mecca for fat bikers who take the initiative to set the tracks after each snowfall and make it so much easier for us who don’t ride fatties. I came across a handful of riders today and everyone seemed to be thoroughly enjoying themselves. Who wouldn’t be with the trails in such fine shape? This time it was my turn to return the favor by moving over for others to ride by not that these guys would have needed it. ;)

GH010505 - frame at 1m5s.jpg

GH010505 - frame at 1m12s.jpg

I made a lap around Fisherman’s Island before pushing off towards the Ranch’s outer loop. I thought that @Saratoga Dave might enjoy these views from above.

DJI_0093 - frame at 0m6s.jpg

On the last stretch of the outer loop, I ran into a few more fat bikers before making my way back to the main double track.

DJI_0096 - frame at 0m46s.jpg

These all too familiar images are some of my favorites for good reason. After emerging from the forest, the appearance of the sun as it slowly begins to settle down for the day always leaves a lasting impression near the end of my ride.

GH010505 - frame at 5m58s.jpg

GH010506 - frame at 3m9s.jpg

Today will likely be the end to this hugely appreciated warm spell as much of the province will be enveloped in a cold air mass with accompanying snow as the weekend approaches. If it’s any consolation, we should be back to norms when the festive holiday season begins. 👍

Well, weve had our snow, good half an inch.
I so need spiked tyres anyway.
Same here, the snow but not the ice spikes ;) We got very lucky here, heavy snow all around and it was supposed to hit my area also but it came to nothing thankfully! On Monday its going to be 12C here, hard to believe after this cold snap! Of course with those temps comes wind and rain but it looks like I have a good chance of at least 1 ride next week🤞

@Prairie Dog That was an awesome ride, all of my instincts said don't go on that ice...🤣 Loved your video, the drone footage was outstanding!👌

Same here, the snow but not the ice spikes ;) We got very lucky here, heavy snow all around and it was supposed to hit my area also but it came to nothing thankfully! On Monday its going to be 12C here, hard to believe after this cold snap! Of course with those temps comes wind and rain but it looks like I have a good chance of at least 1 ride next week🤞

@Prairie Dog That was an awesome ride, all of my instincts said don't go on that ice...🤣 Loved your video, the drone footage was outstanding!👌
In all likelihood, the forecast for the coming week will not be kind to us either but 12C sounds much more inviting than -30 C.

I certainly wouldn’t think of venturing out onto the ice without the ISPs or whatever their equivalent might be. The 45 North Wrathchilds that I rode on during the second season of winter riding didn’t inspire confidence like the ISPs do. The high stud count and pointed spikes are what sets them apart from the competition.

In years gone by I haven't hesitated to go out in the cold weather but we are having a very cold spell (nothing like @Prairie Dog 's crazy temps of course) at the moment and I can't motivate myself to venture out, I was going to use the main roads but at this time of year there are too many idiots around so I will wait until I can use the back roads again! So its walking only for me for the foreseeable future, I do love walking at this time of year thou
The cold spell continues but next Sunday is looking more promising after a damp start! Yesterday it was -5C and today it was -11C with freezing fog, most of the day it was around -7C! Of course it didn't stop me going for walks, I just love walking at this time of year and the conditions can make for some nice pictures!

Drumpellier Country Park where the loch is almost completely frozen over, normally the wildlife is spread over the whole loch but yesterday they were all huddled in one corner!
View attachment 142458View attachment 142459View attachment 142461View attachment 142462

Brownsburn Community Park which is a very short walk from home! It was actually the local dump when I was a youngster and was full of water rats and all sorts of vermin, for many years it was on fire below ground due to methane gas from the dump! These days it has been transformed into a community park which attracts many dog walkers and is like a maze with paths everywhere! Back in the day I had lots of fun around here on my off road motorbike when it was much more hilly! I only saw 1 dog walker today though due to the freezing conditions!
View attachment 142463View attachment 142464View attachment 142465View attachment 142467View attachment 142468
Hiking in the cold ice and snow is a great alternative but I miss my eBike.
A3CE29C0-DE97-4F7A-9EE6-CBCF7C79B8C1.jpeg

Maybe next year if you are lucky!:p

@Readytoride I tried my new batteries for my Sealskinz heated gloves today, they lasted 3 hours on the highest setting! :eek: I'm sure I only got 3 hours on the second setting when I bought them new....
Excellent to hear. Thank you! I have a set waiting for me under the Christmas tree.😁🎄

Not sure when (after Christmas) I'll be able to try them out, however. My bikes have remained in the garage, untouched, since the temps have dipped into the "Ain't Encouraging To Ride A Bike" cold numbers at the beginning of the month. I fear I've developed into a bit of a fair weather person in my old age. This being said by someone in their younger days who reveled in hitting the ski slopes the second winter arrived, the cold swooped in and the flakes began to fall. Not that I don't enjoy all the tales of snowbound bike riding on this forum, and applaud all who do. I'll just enjoy those wintery exploits while reclining on a couch with a mug of hot chocolate in hand, and a toasty fire crackling happily in the wood stove nearby. If I want to enjoy the snow, I'll look out my window. ❄ My bikes can keep their summer tires on.

My 2022...

I do not think I would ride much more this year, so it is the summary.

1671424469372.png

A more intensive year than 2020 (8,028 km), worse than 2021 though (10,100 km).

1671425108776.png

The longest ride ever: 170.65 km (106.0 mi). Rode to Płock in Mazovia to recover trousers left at a hotel on my earlier business travel to that city :)

1671425311734.png

"Korboloza". A joint gravel group ride of male & female cycling clubs. The most intensive & interesting ride I took on my Vado SL. Necessary to mention I took a solo pre-ride over the very same route a week before on my full-power Vado to learn the terrain and determine necessary assistance levels to be able to keep up with the group on the less powerful but lightweight e-bike.

1671425704387.png

"Bolimovian Stoß". The fastest gravel group ride I had a chance to participate in: 104.5 km below 4 hours. Only my Speed Vado 5.0 made it possible for me to stand the racing pace of the competing cyclists of the group! I also recorded an e-bike Strava KOM on a 7.33 km long forest fire-road segment! (That was the ride on which my brother Jacek -- at left -- got inducted in the gravel cycling community).

1671426256773.png

Traditionally, Jacek & I were on several "Heritage Rides" in 2022.
1671426455919.png

My brother is fond of genealogy, and he is taking me for rides to track the places our ancestors used to live in.

The bad news for 2022 is the total failure of the Highway Star, or my 45 km/h Vado 5.0. Both motor and frame failed on 18th of October. The e-bike is solemnly promised to be rebuilt by Specialized but I even do not expect to get it this year. My lightweight Vado SL turned out to be an extremely useful e-bike but it is not a match for my "speed" full-power e-bike when it comes to very fast group rides or climbing in serious mountains. I can only hope 2023 will turn out to be a better e-biking year!

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all of you, EBR Forum friends!

"As Warm As The Snot Froze Inside Your Nose"...
(Ciepło aż w nosie skrzepło)

...is a Polish saying denoting temperatures below -10 C (14 F). Wearing a balaclava over your mouth and nose (and goggles) is necessary on rides at such temperatures!

1671437427648.png

The thermometer of my Wahoo ELMNT Roam v2 is 3 C off. It actually was -12 C. A 7.5 km shopping ride.

"As Warm As The Snot Froze Inside Your Nose"...
(Ciepło aż w nosie skrzepło)

...is a Polish saying denoting temperatures below -10 C (14 F). Wearing a balaclava over your mouth and nose (and goggles) is necessary on rides at such temperatures!

View attachment 142851
The thermometer of my Wahoo ELMNT Roam v2 is 3 C off. It actually was -12 C. A 7.5 km shopping ride.

Minus 12, looks like Polands having a warm winter.
I always imagined your winters were stuff of fires under the ebike to warm the batteries up.
You cant charge below 0 degrees I hear, but Ive done it a few times with no obvious problems.

Minus 12, looks like Polands having a warm winter.
I always imagined your winters were stuff of fires under the ebike to warm the batteries up.
The real Winter will come in February... No slightest chance to ride below -20 C! We were having -25 or -30 C in the past. I am afraid! Now, we are expecting a warm-up and +2-3 C for the whole Xmas.
You cant charge below 0 degrees I hear, but Ive done it a few times with no obvious problems.
I would not do that. Battery fire is not a good thing.

Back