Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

Today's double loop encompassing two good rides for 26.5 or so miles and about 1,200-1,700 gain. First to Discovery Park (no pictures), on to Smith Cove and ships anchored, cruise ship Seabourn Odessey, back north to portage across the Ballard Locks (as close to canal boating as found in England :p, then on to Golden Gardens (beach) and up the switchbacks to Sunset Park. A grand urban adventure although, not up to the standards of Da Bronx.

Disco Golden Gardens.jpg

PXL_20220525_195717975.PANO-.jpg

PXL_20220525_200412720-.jpg

PXL_20220525_200420888-.jpg

PXL_20220525_202406634-.jpg

PXL_20220525_202505233-.jpg

PXL_20220525_202507749-.jpg

PXL_20220525_204557654c.jpg

PXL_20220525_210524910-.jpg

PXL_20220525_213856653.jpg

I'm also worried for David...

Meanwhile, back from Dublin to Liverpool. Too many things to report now!

20220524_115201-01.jpeg

Where the Irish indepedence started (1916 Easter Rising). General Post Office (left) and the Spire in O'Connell Street Lower. (There was a statue of Nelson during the British rule where the Spire is now).

20220524_135124-01.jpeg

@Brix in the courtyard of the Dublin Castle.

20220524_200148-01.jpeg

There are several kilometres of the most modern business & housing architecture along the River Liffey. The huge red building is a pub that belongs to Brewdog (Scotland), the biggest craft brewery of Europe. The city ends here, leaving space to the Port of Dublin.

FB_IMG_1653547937337.jpg

General view with the museum tall-ship Jeanne Johnston in the foreground.

20220525_111743-01.jpeg

The Irish drink whisky (uisce) right from the tap!

FB_IMG_1653548319579.jpg

Irish Sea crossing (both ways). It takes just 2 h 15 min to travel by a swift boat between Holyhead in Wales and Dublin.

20220525_175616-01.jpeg

The famous place in North Wales on the Island of Anglesey, past Bangor :)

FB_IMG_1653549462669.jpg

Lovely Wales, the e-MTB country.

Last edited:

View attachment 124278
Where the Irish indepedence started (1916 Easter Rising). General Post Office (left) and the Spire in O'Connell Street Lower. (There was a statue of Nelson during the British rule where the Spire is now).

View attachment 124279

View attachment 124280
There are several kilometres of the most modern business & housing architecture along the River Liffey. The huge red building is a pub that belongs to Brewdog (Scotland), the biggest craft brewery of Europe. The city ends here, leaving space to the Port of Dublin.

View attachment 124281

View attachment 124284

View attachment 124282
Irish Sea crossing (both ways). It takes just 2 h 15 min to travel by a swift boat between Holyhead in Wales and Dublin.

View attachment 124283

View attachment 124285
Whiskey (always with the E or you're in Scotland) in Irish is Uisce beatha - Water of Life. Uisce, sadly, is just plain old water. On the upside however Uisce doesn't give you a hangover like a rusty saw being dragged across your brain.

Hey, OKAY. I was born in Bronx Hospital many decades ago. I use to live along Bruckner Blvd (before it became whatever) between the Whitestone Bridge and the Triboro Bridge. PS 93. We use to bike ride out to the Sound or whatever it is at that point and watch the planes at LaGuardia Airport - propeller planes back then!!!!!

Oh man Bruckner Blvd is scary now a days. It’s like a highway with a few stop lights along the way. I’m not sure why my Bosch Cobi bike app navigation directed me there when there’s a bike lane just a few blocks over. Albeit, I’ve never seen such blatant disregard and disrespect for bike lanes like I have in the Bronx, I’d still rather be in a bike lane than on bruckner. Where ever you are now looks far nicer than Da Bronx! Lucky you…..

View attachment 124278

View attachment 124279

View attachment 124280

View attachment 124281

View attachment 124284

View attachment 124282

View attachment 124283

View attachment 124285
Ive never seen that spire, looks amazing.
In fact I'll admit I haven't seen any of Ireland except Cork.
Youre really getting about, never been to gogo either.

Ive never seen that spire, looks amazing.
In fact I'll admit I haven't seen any of Ireland except Cork.
Youre really getting about, never been to gogo either.
20220524_170740.jpg

I & Brix lived in a good modern hotel in the Dublin Docklands. It made the wrong impression the whole city (including two museums related to the Irish Great Famine and Emigration) was modern, sterile and boring. Because everything along the Liffey up to the Connolly Railway Station was as I described.

But we walked, walked, and walked, eventually being able to discover different flavours of the capital city of Ireland. And no raining on that day!

20220524_132011.jpg

At Ristorante Romano, 12 Capel St., North City, Dublin. The owner, one Romano Morelli turned out to be a senior Italian competing road cyclist, and his restaurant was decorated accordingly. A charming man!

FB_IMG_1653571425233.jpg

At the statue of Molly Malone, south of Liffey.

Last edited:
Oh man Bruckner Blvd is scary now a days. It’s like a highway with a few stop lights along the way. I’m not sure why my Bosch Cobi bike app navigation directed me there when there’s a bike lane just a few blocks over. Albeit, I’ve never seen such blatant disregard and disrespect for bike lanes like I have in the Bronx, I’d still rather be in a bike lane than on bruckner. Where ever you are now looks far nicer than Da Bronx! Lucky you…..
It was a progression. Bronx to Yonkers. Yonkers to Chicago for law school. Chicago to Seattle - for LIFE!

When attending PS 93 (there were at least, another 92 elementary schools (g) and I went to JHS 123) we use to have to cross Bruckner and then after some accidents, they built The Overpass. It was still about an eight lane major arterial back then. And I did once witness two guys hit by a car trying to cross. They were both tossed in the air. The first five years of my life, I lived in converted army Quonset huts - no housing after the war.

The wet spring has made for a great show of wild flowers on this side. I've got some domestic flowers that I've never seen before popping up in the no man's land of my place. Now, off to bike to the store as I have a hankering for a chicken to cook.

Result of this morning's ride. It was marked down to half price because as of tomorrow, it expires. The bird was huge and it will take two batches to cook it all. This picture was a try out of a camera that was lost for six years. I found it yesterday and the batteries were corroded so I cleaned that part up with Q tips and soda water, thinking it probably wouldn't work. After a night of drying out, it now works again. It may become the new camera to bike with as I think it has a more powerful zoom.
GEDC0738.JPG

Well Ive finally done it, I needed one that didnt seriously interupt my ride, I video stuff as a hobby and its a distant second to the actual riding .
Couldnt resist when a seconhand one for 90 quid popped up on ebay... the Spark with gesture control, no controller reqd or fiddly time wasting connecting to phones
Tied a piece of string to it for first go!
Theyre practically alive these things.
You do everything by just waving at it or putting your arms in funny positions.
Very badly framed, I was nervous

Well Ive finally done it, I needed one that didnt seriously interupt my ride, I video stuff as a hobby and its a distant second to the actual riding .
Couldnt resist when a seconhand one for 90 quid popped up on ebay... the Spark with gesture control, no controller reqd or fiddly time wasting connecting to phones
As the back of the bike lifts off the ground and he is uni-cycling through the dunes!

Very cool. What surprises me is how quiet they are. My mini tips the scales at under 250g so no license/registration or drone pilot certification is required here in Canada. We still can’t fly them in national parks (bummer) however or wherever airspace prohibits. The Spark likely exceeds the max weight here but its attributes are intriguing nevertheless.

I believe the Litchi app for the mini2 allows for follow me and active track using GPS but doesn’t appear as intuitive as the Spark. Hope to get some footage next week while in the mountains.…outside of the park boundaries mind you. ;)

Last edited:
It was day off for me today as well but I did manage to fit in another ride yesterday along the usual single tracks with a couple of friends.
Web capture_26-5-2022_144357_ridewithgps.com.jpeg

We’re expecting showers over the weekend but crossing our fingers in hope of better weather next week as my significant other and I prepare for a road ride in the mountain resort of Banff. I spent part of the afternoon cleaning the bike and was quite pleased with this chain brush that I recently acquired. With a bit of soapy water and a few spritzes of de-greaser, it made quick work of the grunge that accumulated from yesterday’s trail ride.

IMG_20220517_1000315.jpgIMG_20220526_1249514.jpgIMG_20220526_1249559.jpg

My wife and I have also been busy over the past couple of weeks tending to our community garden plots which are located 5km from our home. The two med sized plots together measure approx. 70’ L x 20’ W. We're looking forward to another bumper harvest which will include carrots, beets, corn, peas, soybeans as well as tomatoes, cucumbers, Japanese squash and onions. We shared the bounty with family, friends, neighbors in addition with the local women's shelter.

Web capture_26-5-2022_151647_ridewithgps.com.jpeg

IMG_20220512_1049016.jpgIMG_20220512_1251265.jpgIMG_20220526_2028560.jpg

Some images of the pollinator hotels out on site.

IMG_20220514_1457338.jpgIMG_20220514_1500105.jpgIMG_20220514_1500191.jpgIMG_20220514_1500274.jpg

Last edited:
Very cool. What surprises me is how quiet they are. My mini tips the scales at under 250g so no license/registration or drone pilot certification is required here in Canada. We still can’t fly them in national parks (bummer) however or wherever airspace prohibits. The Spark likely exceeds the max weight here but its attributes are intriguing nevertheless.

I believe the Litchi app for the mini2 allows for follow me and active track using GPS but doesn’t appear as intuitive as the Spark. Hope to get some footage next week while in the mountains.…outside of the park boundaries mind you. ;)
They are quiet, but we need registration of all camera drones regardless of weight, you have to pay fifteen quid and do an online test.
The mini didnt fit my requirements, no phone only connection..no track without 3rd party app.
I dont even need to fold the arms out😛

Back