Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

As The Temperature Here Permanenly Stays Below The Freezing Point...

...I swapped the Pathfinders Pro for Marathon Winter Plus on my Vado SL on last Saturday and had a local ride that included some patches of snow and ice. All good!

1669021462929.png

The tyre swap was the fastest, easiest and most safe in my cycling history thanks to the Kool Stop Tire Bead Jack (as recommended by @Prairie Dog and other users). The tool is pure gold!

Last edited:
I've done this a few times,, but the wife had booked herself into a 60 mile ride around the area, but then we found out it was going to monsoon in the afternoon, so we just rode from Grasmere to Ambleside along the lake side path.
View attachment 140805

For some reason my brakes were working perfectly and the wifes uber maintained bike was squealing so loud that she was apologising to everyone, it was truly horrific.
If you'd have designed something to squeal form scratch it wouldn't be any better.
wef3.jpg

I love a bridge I do.
wef2.jpg

You just come across random houses along the path, miles of windy, muddy track to get a car to these.
wef11.jpg

I'm not saying I was hoping she would fall in, but I'm not denying it either.
wef4.jpg

Another bridge shot, it did say cyclists dismount, but I risked the wrath of the walkers to take a cheeky pic.
wef5.jpg

The rain came down just as we were leaving the cafe, two cheese and onion cornish pasties.

wef7.jpg

We got soaked to the skin, it stopped rain for a bit and we made a break for it, unfortunately thats the first time I've ridden the bike in such heavy rain, instead of cutting out like it does in river crossings, it decided to randomly go to full throttle.
Made for some panic situations while filming, riding with one hand over wet leaves around a corner.
wef10.jpg

The view from our room in Grasmere, rather inventive blinds to cover all the angles, there were seven separate ones , all slightly different, above the roof line was another two huge angled windows.
wef12.jpg

Last edited:
1669138969941.png

I caught another break in the awful weather but I thought my ride wasn't going to happen...soon after I got ready the mist rolled in and it was looking so gloomy! I decided it wasn't going to stop me and set off into the mist, 4 miles up the road this was the scene!
1669139194569.png

This place is notorious for misty conditions so I couldn't believe my eyes and the lovely weather stayed with me all the way until I got back home and it was still misty there, I sure picked the right direction! :D The Black Loch was still pretty low which was a real surprise given the weather in recent weeks, as you can see the water is flat calm which meant there was almost no wind to speak of!
1669139440470.png

What a break I got with the weather, for the time of year it was so good but a little chilly and my heated gloves made a return today! Sadly one of my batteries only lasted just under 2 hours and that was on the lowest setting, the other one lasted almost 3.5 hours! Not good considering they are just under 2 years old and haven't really been used a great deal, at least they are really warm without the heat though! I have contacted Sealskins about this so I will wait to see what they say as they are supposed to last 5-6 hours on the low setting!

I was heading for Shieldhill where I would enjoy the big descent down into Glenn Village, the road leading to it is pretty awesome also! Some barns for @dodgeman to enjoy!;)
1669139881539.png

The view of the Ochill Hills and the Campsie Hills from Sheildhill!
1669140014861.png

From Shieldhill I was heading for Linlithgow which meant passing through many villages on some busy roads, thankfully there wasn't much traffic though so it was definitely my lucky day today! This is just before Linlithgow looking south!
1669140394813.png

Linlithgow Viaduct!
1669141653473.png

When I reached Linlithgow I turned south towards Torphicen, the roads here are also in nice condition and can be prone to flooding but they were fine today! I passed this farm on the way and it looked like a nice photo opportunity!
1669142091818.png

There are some nice views all the way to Torphicen!
1669142188079.png

1669142989331.png

I also love the views just before Torhpicen!
1669143103334.png

1669143217567.png

The road is awesome in both directions!
1669143292939.png

1669143344424.png

From Torphicen I was heading towards Avonbridge but turned south just before reaching the village and headed up past the windfarm at Heights! You can see the mist starting to roll in!
1669143557683.png

1669143607983.png

Just around 10 miles from home now as I reached Blackridge, I then passed Hillend Loch which was looking like a sheet of glass today! I just love the reflections when the water is so calm!
1669143775737.png

1669143862669.png

1669143947864.png

I reached home and was very satisfied with todays awesome ride in lovely conditions, I even got home relatively clean today but the same couldn't be said for my bike!🤣 Its looking pristine now though, I keep saying it but what a brilliant bike this has been, 23,257 miles and it rides like it was brand new!😁

Attachments

• elevation_profile125.jpg
    elevation_profile125.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 79
  • trip-108241894-map-full125.png
    trip-108241894-map-full125.png
    414.3 KB · Views: 89
  • 20221122_140844.jpg
    20221122_140844.jpg
    601.3 KB · Views: 87
  • 20221122_143754.jpg
    20221122_143754.jpg
    254 KB · Views: 86
It finally warmed up enough for me to ride today, only about 15 miles. A barn of the day picture. This farm is always as neat as a pin. In the past I’ve seen him out training border collies to herd sheep but I don’t think he does that anymore.
D8C39290-BEB5-465C-A372-5AACFC89C0D5.jpeg

I was finally able to get back on the saddle after a couple of days off as a result from being sidelined with a brief but painful foot condition (extensor tendonitis). Once the inflammation on my foot abated with the help of ice packs, Salonpas wrap and plenty of rest, I felt human again rather than feeling and looking like a wounded animal hobbling around the house.

With that behind me, today’s ride was rather discouraging as I checked out the condition of my favorite Bench Trail. At times, the overcast skies made it more difficult distinguishing where the actual trail was. It was a struggle from start to finish as my tires constantly plowed deep into the soft snow. There were promising signs along the way as some sections revealed hard pack where the studs could gain some traction. However, it took me three times as long as it normally would on a typical day and I would have much preferred if the entire single track was covered in bare ice.

IMG_20221122_1131209.jpg

IMG_20221122_1159171.jpg

I was hopeful that a few fatbikers had ridden through the area prior to setting out but it appeared that most of the trail was impacted just by foot traffic alone which made matters worse. Climbing was especially challenging in the soft terrain and most often walking the bike up became a ritual.

GH010456_Moment.jpg

Descents, on the other had, were rather fun knowing full well that if I took a tumble I would have plenty of soft snow to cushion my fall...unless I had the misfortune of getting up and close with one of the local conifers.

GH010458_Moment2.jpg

....speaking of which, I wasn't expecting this either.

IMG_20221122_1146390.jpg

Despite the minor set backs, the mild conditions were greatly appreciated and there were still moments that allowed me to stand back and reflect on the days events. Just another day at the office.

DJI_0067_Moment.jpg

IMG_20221122_1214358.jpg
DJI_0068_Moment.jpg
IMG_20221122_1229128.jpg

Almost Run Over By A Delivery Van...

And not, I was not on my Vado SL. I was walking.

1669192184417.png

I stopped by the Tank to take some pictures and to ask about the fate of the famous Museum of Steel Figures (it was moved to Zakopane in Tatra Mts). It was so peaceful and quiet around. I admit I was texting when I was walking from the buiding towards my e-bike. Suddenly, I could see something yellow approaching me at very high speed! It was just inches away when I made a great leap aside. I fell on my back.

A driver of a large delivery van was backing up at high speed. How he could not notice me (I was wearing Hi-Vis clothes) remains a mystery to me; he was just careless and didn't look. As I fell, I hit the ground with my head. Which was helmeted (always wear the helmet!) People gathered and offered help. I was sitting on the ground for a couple of minutes as I was not sure if I didn't get a concussion. Fortunately, I was not hit by the van, fell on my back, and the helmet saved my head.

I was inches away from death or a serious disability... (Of course, I should have not texted while walking). How lucky I was!
(Now, it is hard for me to fall asleep when I recollect what had happened and how bad it could end for me...)

So scary Stefan, I'm glad you are ok! Some drivers are just so careless, reversing at speed is just stupid! When I had my fall earlier this year my helmet saved me for sure, I would certainly have been visiting a hospital without it!

Last night I contacted Sealskinz about my heated gloves not holding a charge after almost 2 years and amazingly they replied very quickly and asked me to fill out a claim form, within 10 minutes of submitting the form they replied again asking if I would be happy to receive replacement batteries! 👍 If the batteries don't solve the issue (I'm sure they will) they will happily check my gloves out and replace if necessary, fantastic sevice from Sealskinz!

On a more positive note, I have just collected new items of my winter clothing:
  • CHIBA "Alaska Pro" turtle-style gloves
  • Rogelli Merino Base Layer (long sleeve)
  • Rogelli Long Underpants, 2-pack
Both CHIBA (German) and Rogelli (Dutch) are big names in Europe.

-3 C today.

They are expensive but worth it in my opinion, maybe wait until I have my replacement batteries though? They have 3 settings but on the highest setting you wouldn't get much use, possibly 1 hour!
They are currently on a Black Friday sale at their website for $168, normally $240. (Sale on until Nov 28th). But I'm happy to wait for your update regarding the replacement batteries. I will be riding for longer than an hour so would appreciate a glove with more battery range (just like an EV!😂)

They are currently on a Black Friday sale at their website for $168, normally $240. (Sale on until Nov 28th). But I'm happy to wait for your update regarding the replacement batteries. I will be riding for longer than an hour so would appreciate a glove with more battery range (just like an EV!😂)
I used to get 3 hours at the 2nd setting and it was pretty warm!

Winter took a hiatus for a few days...

and Autumn stole that opportunity to sneak back and warm the air with a gift of what we all were longing for...perfect riding days. Hubby and I had spent the morning fighting traffic and the last-minute shopping crowds at the grocery store who were stocking up on the scant remaining bits of Thankgiving staples for the feasting tomorrow night. The store shelves had been picked clean like a carcass on the Serengeti and the checkout lines would rival commuter lanes in rush hour traffic. It was a madhouse out there, although people were smiling and sincerely happy, ready for a day off tomorrow to devote to family, dysfunctional or not, and over-eating.

We escaped suburbia with most of our shopping items in hand, at least those items that had been still left on the grocery store shelves, to make our way home to rural. By the time we arrived back at the farm the day was at the height of its warmth. 60°f (15.5°c). Time for a bike ride.

I dressed for the temperature in a lightweight silk jacket and took off down the road. I got exactly 1/2 mile and whipped that bike right around so fast it would have made your eyeballs spin. I raced back to the house to put on a heavier fleece-lined jacket, my high vis windbreaker, a neck scarf, and a head band. The temps may have seemed warm standing still, but it sure as heck got cold fast when zipping along at 20mph on a bike.

Once more, suitably dressed this time in warm layers, I hit the road. My plan was to enjoy the gravel roads and leave the paved roads to the increased traffic of cars in a hurry to take their rushed occupants to the stores or to start on the journey to a relative's home hours away where family would be gathering for Thanksgiving tomorrow. I didn't want to be in anyone's way since my aim was to relax and enjoy the views. I wasn't disappointed in my choice.
20221123_150304_copy_750x1000.jpg

The afternoon sun was brilliant in the sky, and while there were a few more than normal vehicles sharing the roads with me, all racing past quickly enough to kick up clouds of dust in their hurry, for the most part I was left with clear breathable air, and all the views to myself.

I had missed riding when the cold had gripped our area, so I was delighted to extend my afternoon ride further and further as my bike's GPS logged the miles. I even bumped into my cycling neighbor, G, on her way to her boarding barn to collect some item she would need for the Thanksgiving foxhunt tomorrow. This holiday always marked the beginning of "formal season" for the hunts where the lightweight autumn hunt coats were changed to the heavy formal winter black melton, or whatever color (dark blue in the case of this hunt) for members who had been awarded their "colors". She and I stopped mid-road to enjoy a few seconds of conversation, and for me to borrow a bit of lip balm as (for some unknown reason) mine was missing from my saddle packs. We only parted to head our separate ways when another car came into view, even though the driver seemed happy enough to wait patiently until she and I said our goodbyes. I will be at the hunt tomorrow to watch her, the rest of the field, horses and hounds go off into the morning light. Opening hunt of formal season is a big affair, and usually takes place at some extensive estate. Such a grand sight that is one not to be missed. A delicious hunt breakfast in the estate's main house is always planned for this special day after hunting, but I won't stay for that.

Some internet photos of the hunt opening meet in years past. The huntsman, Jordan, is a pretty cool, super friendly guy. He rides a bike as well and can even exercise the hounds in the off season via two wheels as well as a horse.
phoca_thumb_l_ijkcas_8282.jpg

Scarlet is worn by the huntsman, parts of the staff, Master, and any male member in good standing that has been awarded his colors (worn on the collar. Being awarded colors is a discussion for another time as it can be both lengthy and detailed). Scarlet coats helps to stand out senior members who should be followed at all times. Ladies (excluding staff) wear the traditional dark hunt coat in the color dictated by the hunt. In this case, dark blue. Everyone else is in black as to blend in with the rest of the "field" (all the other riders).

The elegance of sidesaddle can never be overrated.
sidelinesmag_00082_full_00085.jpg

Below is a stock photo of the Middleburg Hunt in 1924. The only things missing in 2022 are the floral buttoneers, the top hats for members (except for ladies riding sidesaddle as that is part of their formal attire) and the grooms (always in tweed as they were not a member of the hunt) following any lady riding sidesaddle to render aid to her if necessary. The rest remains unchanged since the last century and the one before that. Tradition plays a strong role in foxhunting.
middleburg-web.jpg

Along the miles it was fun to see so many of the estate entryways still decorated with bright orange pumpkins and colorful gourds, tightly wrapped corn stalks dried enough to rustle in even the slightest breeze, and numerous pots with now faded maroon and yellow crysanthamums. By this weekend they would all be memories as the holly wreaths and assorted Christmas decorations would take their place for the remainder of the year.
20221103_152035~2_copy_1200x1271_copy_502x888.jpg

This whimsical red mailbox teased me to stop for a photograph.
20221123_151007_copy_750x1000.jpg

And this red barn as well.
20221123_162241_copy_750x1000.jpg

I had quite forgotten that the sun was in a hurry these days, dropping down the sky towards the mountains much faster than it did in summer, and catching me by surprise. Halfway through the ride the warm air turned cool and the surrounding scenery became awash in a gorgeous golden light.
20221123_162245_copy_750x1000.jpg

I was still warm in my layers of jacket, but the headband was a lightweight one that offered no help beyond my ears to the rest of my head getting chilled with the cold draft through the helmet vents. My hands were toasty warm in my gloves, but that wouldn't last much longer. As much as the gravel roads begged me to stay and keep riding, I only allowed it to persuade me to take a final road heading further west, a bit of a mistake when I found the sun shining directly in my eyes was making it difficult to see the road. Even through my expensive sunglasses the road was getting harder and harder to see as the fading sun angled its increasingly orange beams right at my eyes.
20221123_162251_copy_750x1000.jpg

A few more miles of second guessing the road under my tires was enough for me. It was time to head home. At the 20 mile mark I was cruising up my driveway, relaxed and happy and still warm, ready for tea time. A wonderful way to close out an afternoon in the waning month of November.

Screenshot_20221124_013008.jpg

Last edited:

View attachment 140890
I stopped by the Tank to take some pictures and to ask about the fate of the famous Museum of Steel Figures (it was moved to Zakopane in Tatra Mts). It was so peaceful and quiet around. I admit I was texting when I was walking from the buiding towards my e-bike. Suddenly, I could see something yellow approaching me at very high speed! It was just inches away when I made a great leap aside. I fell on my back.

A driver of a large delivery van was backing up at high speed. How he could not notice me (I was wearing Hi-Vis clothes) remains a mystery to me; he was just careless and didn't look. As I fell, I hit the ground with my head. Which was helmeted (always wear the helmet!) People gathered and offered help. I was sitting on the ground for a couple of minutes as I was not sure if I didn't get a concussion. Fortunately, I was not hit by the van, fell on my back, and the helmet saved my head.

I was inches away from death or a serious disability... (Of course, I should have not texted while walking). How lucky I was!
(Now, it is hard for me to fall asleep when I recollect what had happened and how bad it could end for me...)
Thats a bit of ptsd, I think it gets worse as you get older.
Youll be back dodging vans on the road in no time.

View attachment 140890

Was that an Acme brand Helmet, Stefan? We’ll have to start referring to you as Wile E Coyote!

Glad to hear that you’re okay. 👍

It was a Uvex P1us, a snowboarding helmet. Only works OK if used together with goggles (otherwise it is too low on the forehead).

The snowboarding helmet covers the back of the head very well!

@Stefan…I’m well aware that Violence is the last resort of an exhausted mind but if I were you I’d hop in that tank and hunt down the delivery van…and if you can’t find it pick out an Amazon van…they’re everywhere. One bump deserves another

Back