Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

Tinge of green…

Brisbane Valley Rail Trail, Fairney View, Queensland

Fairney View, Queensland
For most of October our weather has been a sandwich of wet and dry spells. This morning provided a perfect riding opportunity but, according to those who can predict what is to me unpredictable, it'll be pouring down tomorrow. The farmers' dams are filling, their fields are greening and, in the photo above, the low section of the field is a bit flooded.

Being timid, I turned around after two hours (90 minutes riding + 30 minutes refreshment stop). One of my favourite places to take a break is beside the Brisbane River at Ipswich's Kholo Gardens which has some interesting historic buildings including the old church (opened 1904; relocated 1990) which is able to be hired as a wedding chapel.

Kholo Botanical Gardens, Ipswich

Kholo Botanical Gardens : Chapel

Last edited by a moderator:
And Who Says SL E-Bikes Are Too Delicate For Grocery Shopping :D

1634553412156.png

My weekly (or twice a week) grocery shopping ordeal. I typically return in Turbo mode from the 15 km round trip. (I was unable to close the lid of the pannier-backpack today!)

Finding no exciting games on this morning I set off for a ride. I'm posting i go, I hope it is okay.
I stopped just a mile ahead of my 5mile marker pedaling on eco. I found a broken marker, I will call the number and report it.
Also some pics I took on my previous stop to increase my tyre pressure. I had it inflated for off roading.
Whats a broken marker?

No proper pics, its all on the gopro, two sunny days and now its monsoon weather.

Heres the first morning from our apartment.
The town of Salcombe, got two good rides in and hoping for sun again on Friday.
Im going to sneak the bike onto the coastal path and if I manage to pull it off, it will be a level 10 epic ride on a stunning cliff path.
No doubt upset some walkers, but it just has to be done.
20211017_080146.jpg

AC6B0A85-CDD5-4957-ACE1-4EB2AE828BD1.jpeg
We are spending some time in Moab Utah, they have a trail that is pretty short, only about 3 miles that runs parallel along the Colorado River with high cliffs along the sides. They have another part of the same trail system that is much longer. I wish it was longer but it looks like it was an expensive stretch to build. It’s one of those pictures don’t do it justice.

Specialized (Again) - Meeting Jerzy - Decathlon Wilanów - Warsaw Bridges - Night Turbo Ride

I needed a good pretext for my next ride. The sun was shining, the mid-day temperature was 12 C, so I thought I could make a fast ride to Specialized Warsaw again to ask many questions about spare part availability, assess the actual size of different Turbo e-bikes, and learn more. A 32 km long (tail-wind assisted) ride only took me 1 h 10 min to get to the LBS with my Vado 5.0. And... We agreed to meet with @Jerzy Bańkowski there!

1634611249450.png

The Specialized flagship: S-Works Turbo Levo SL (the photo taken on last Saturday). The price of PLN67000 (US$17,000) seemed to be taken from the Outer Space to us. (The U.S. price is $14,500). Jerzy merrily mentioned his pension might (probably) buy a spoke set for the single wheel of that e-bike! :)

Did you ever wonder who buys the US$8,000 frameset for S-Works Levo SL? Perhaps them CF frames do break? (@mschwett?)

1634611547832.png

Turbo Tero 5.0 size M and Turbo Levo (2021) size S4. Both were far too tall for my leg length! (Saturday photo).

I have learned several important facts (that's why I rode to the LBS):
  • The current Polish price of the 604 Wh Vado/Como battery was equivalent to US$1,300 now. (I paid US$900 early in 2020 for the same). The battery cover colour only available as Graphite. The battery/cover could be had in 1-2 weeks here.
  • Despite of the market issues, I could buy an extra SL Range Extender in 1-2 weeks, too.
  • Specialized Turbo Levo Hardtail (regular and Comp) have been discontinued in favour of Tero. Pity, as those were better specified than the current Teros and far less expensive!
  • The Warsaw brand store has already had several Mastermind, Generation 2 Turbo e-bikes on display.
After that, we both rode to Wilanów. Wilanów is a posh area. Jerzy has a saying for very expensive or weird bikes: "Worthy to show up in Wilanów" :D Believe or not but a cheap 20" fat-tyre folder so popular in North America would be "Wilanów worthy" here, as such e-bikes are very weird for our region! :D (It would draw as much of attention as a Trek Madone road bike... Or an S-Works).

1634612467299.png

Jerzy in the Wilanów shopping mall area. We entered the smallest of Warsaw Decathlon stores (French equivalent of REI) to meet one Michał A, the bike department manager there. Michał is a restless organizer of so many gravel/MTB group rides for South Warsaw. It was a big surprise to meet him helmetless but wearing a face mask! Michał demonstrated Winter cycling clothes to us. Fun fact: I was wearing an excellent Decathlon winter jacket myself, and winter bibs, too! So I bought nothing but it was nice to meet Michał at his work place.

Then Jerzy and I rode onto the right hand side Vistula bank, over the Warsaw Southern Bridge.

1634612809394.png

"He's taking my daily bread from me!" -- Jerzy joked -- "Photographing my islands!" :D

1634612902078.png

Vistula is largely an unregulated river. With the high water level, only the overgrown unnamed island can be seen. Vistula has been low recently, to reveal more of sandy islands. We were surprised to see someone found a way to get onto these islands to ride quads there!

At some point in Nadwiśle, Jerzy has shown that view to me:
1634613113006.png

"They say that only very few are able to spot a horse here. Share if you have spotted a horse here" -- is our favourite Internet meme :D So we both are trying to "spot a horse here" (wherever we both are), as "very few" -- "they say" :)

1634613389996.png

Our traditional lunch at McDonald's: Black coffee for Jerzy and a solid meal for me. (Jerzy lives nearby, so a dinner was awaiting him at home!)

1634613498224.png

A close-up of the City of Warsaw at dusk, as seen from the Siekierkowski Bridge. Vistula is not only unregulated; it is winding too, allowing for so many different landscapes of the city.

The night ride home was like... magical to me. It started with a steep climb to the Upper Mokotów via Idzikowskiego Street. The place is one big traffic jam at 18:00 hours! I switched the Turbo mode on and was lazily climbing up the scarp on the street lane dividing line. In very short time, I was the first person to ride through the junction with Puławska... And no driver seemed to be cross at me!

Then it was the sprint at 40 km/h with full traffic; because of the traffic congestion, cars were moving very slowly, and I felt very natural there. And the night ride over Aleje Jerozolimskie with full traffic (with "jumping over" onto a long and totally vacant Bodycha) was enormous fun and joy to me! How pity I could not share my impressions via telepathy to you!

1634614899515.png

I managed to ride for 9,000 km this year (and the year is not over yet!) To anyone who owns a Class 3 Vado and thinks of selling it: Don't. No other e-bike would be so universal and excellent!

Last edited:
Specialized (Again) - Meeting Jerzy - Decathlon Wilanów - Warsaw Bridges - Night Turbo Ride

I needed a good pretext for my next ride. The sun was shining, the mid-day temperature was 12 C, so I thought I could make a fast ride to Specialized Warsaw again to ask many questions about spare part availability, assess the actual size of different Turbo e-bikes, and learn more. A 32 km long (tail-wind assisted) ride only took me 1 h 10 min to get to the LBS with my Vado 5.0. And... We agreed to meet with @Jerzy Bańkowski there!

View attachment 103985
The Specialized flagship: S-Works Turbo Levo SL (the photo taken on last Saturday). The price of PLN67000 (US$17,000) seemed to be taken from the Outer Space to us. (The U.S. price is $14,500). Jerzy merrily mentioned his pension might (probably) buy a spoke set for the single wheel of that e-bike! :)

Did you ever wonder who buys the US$8,000 frameset for S-Works Levo SL? Perhaps them CF frames do break? (@mschwett?)

View attachment 103986
Turbo Tero 5.0 size M and Turbo Levo (2021) size S4. Both were far too tall for my leg length! (Saturday photo).

I have learned several important facts (that's why I rode to the LBS):
  • The current Polish price of the 604 Wh Vado/Como battery was equivalent to US$1,300 now. (I paid US$900 early in 2020 for the same). The battery cover colour only available as Graphite. The battery/cover could be had in 1-2 weeks here.
  • Despite of the market issues, I could buy an extra SL Range Extender in 1-2 weeks, too.
  • Specialized Turbo Levo Hardtail (regular and Comp) have been discontinued in favour of Tero. Pity, as those were better specified than the current Teros and far less expensive!
  • The Warsaw brand store has already had several Mastermind, Generation 2 Turbo e-bikes on display.
After that, we both rode to Wilanów. Wilanów is a posh area. Jerzy has a saying for very expensive or weird bikes: "Worthy to show up in Wilanów" :D Believe or not but a cheap 20" fat-tyre folder so popular in North America would be "Wilanów worthy" here, as such e-bikes are very weird for our region! :D (It would draw as much of attention as a Trek Madone road bike... Or an S-Works).

View attachment 103991
Jerzy in the Wilanów shopping mall area. We entered the smallest of Warsaw Decathlon stores (French equivalent of REI) to meet one Michał A, the bike department manager there. Michał is a restless organizer of so many gravel/MTB group rides for South Warsaw. It was a big surprise to meet him helmetless but wearing a face mask! Michał demonstrated Winter cycling clothes to us. Fun fact: I was wearing an excellent Decathlon winter jacket myself, and winter bibs, too! So I bought nothing but it was nice to meet Michał at his work place.

Then Jerzy and I rode onto the right hand side Vistula bank, over the Warsaw Southern Bridge.

View attachment 103997
"He's taking my daily bread from me!" -- Jerzy joked -- "Photographing my islands!" :D

View attachment 103998
Vistula is largely an unregulated river. With the high water level, only the overgrown unnamed island can be seen. Vistula has been low recently, to reveal more of sandy islands. We were surprised to see someone found a way to get onto these islands to ride quads there!

At some point in Nadrzecze, Jerzy has shown that view to me:
View attachment 103999
"They say that only very few are able to spot a horse here. Share if you have spotted a horse here" -- is our favourite Internet meme :D So we both are trying to "spot a horse here" (wherever we both are), as "very few" -- "they say" :)

View attachment 104000
Our traditional lunch at McDonald's: Black coffee for Jerzy and a solid meal for me. (Jerzy lives nearby, so a dinner was awaiting him at home!)

View attachment 104001
A close-up of the City of Warsaw at dusk, as seen from the Siekierkowski Bridge. Vistula is not only unregulated; it is winding too, allowing for so many different landscapes of the city.

Nocna jazda do domu była dla mnie jak... magiczna. Zaczęło się od stromego podjazdu na Górny Mokotów ulicą Idzikowskiego. To miejsce to jeden wielki korek o godzinie 18:00! Włączyłem tryb Turbo i leniwie wspinałem się po skarpie na linii podziału jezdni. W bardzo krótkim czasie byłam pierwszą osobą, która przejechała przez skrzyżowanie z Puławską... I żaden kierowca nie wydawał się na mnie zły!

Potem był sprint z prędkością 40 km/h przy pełnym ruchu; z powodu korków samochody poruszały się bardzo wolno i czułem się tam bardzo naturalnie. A nocna jazda Alejami Jerozolimskimi przy pełnym natężeniu ruchu (z "przeskokiem" na długą i pustą Bodychę) była dla mnie ogromną frajdą i radością! Jaka szkoda, że nie mogłem podzielić się z wami moimi wrażeniami przez telepatię!

View attachment 104007
Udało mi się w tym roku przejechać 9 000 km (a rok jeszcze się nie skończył!) Do każdego, kto posiada Vado Klasy 3 i myśli o jego sprzedaży: Nie rób tego. Żaden inny e-rower nie byłby tak uniwersalny i doskonały!
Panorama warszawy - piękna.

Folks, please put in the location of your rides/photos. Even if you have your general location in your profile or signature, signatures cannot be seen when accessing the forums on a phone/small screen.

View attachment 103961We are spending some time in Moab Utah, they have a trail that is pretty short, only about 3 miles that runs parallel along the Colorado River with high cliffs along the sides. They have another part of the same trail system that is much longer. I wish it was longer but it looks like it was an expensive stretch to build. It’s one of those pictures don’t do it justice.
Some of my first and really only true nutso mt bike ventures. At the time hardtails. We rode the old entry road into Arches around the head of Courthouse Wash and you come out near Balanced Rock. It was extremely fun riding the real road back down and out. Then we did the Monitor and Merrimack and something else. But we did Slickrock and I probably pushed my bike about half the seven mile loop. I really like Moab and have been there a number of times. But I also remember when it was a "city" about a block long with its most prominent feature - a camera shop. Beer was available at some gas station at some junction south of town a number of miles. Ah, the good ol' days.

The weather predictions in this country are beyond useless…

This pic was taken at a time on a day that the night before they forecast torrential rain and lightning.
As if we needed any more evidence that the world's turning upside down… but stop stressing, your lost cloud turned up over our rail trail just as I was finishing Tuesday evening's ride.
  • Photo taken at 5:43 pm; sunset 5:59 pm – hence, the colour of the cloud (the world's not on fire!).
  • Brisbane is 153ºE and our time is based on 150ºE: so, the sun sets (and rises) early – effectively twelve minutes of 'daylight-losing time'.

Approaching spring storm over BVRT

Last edited by a moderator:
Back