Okay, talk me out of cancelling my CCS order

Chris Hammond

Okay guys, there was an ebike demo by my work today. I was able to go test ride a Trek Super Commuter + 8S. It is a very nice bike. Very smooth, polished, comfortable, and surprisingly powerful. I was riding uphill at 28 mph without any trouble. The University is sponsoring an ebike program and LBS's are offering significant discounts. The Trek is discounted to $3999. I understand that is still $1000 more than the CCS with a bigger battery. I was just very impressed with how smooth and enjoyable the bike was. Maybe I'm just getting sick of waiting on the CCS. I placed my order over a month ago, and still no shipping notification. I would probably be more comfortable with waiting if I could test ride a CCS, but that's not an option. Like I said, talk me out of it.

$2k more for half the range and half the power?

Though I have hardly used more than half the power on my CCS yet, put down 70 miles so far.

Try getting in touch with someone local who owns one. I did via the forum.

Well... for $2k less you can get twice as many Wh on the CCS battery. The motors are a little more difficult to compare given the different drive systems, but I don't think you're going to be disappointed with 12-16 more Volts on the Juiced battery and a 650W motor.

It sounds like you preordered the 52V model. Think of it this way: If someone said they would give you $1000 if you could wait another month or less, would you take the offer?

Worth the wait, Chris, worth the wait. How do I know? I ordered in September for November delivery. Because of the re-spoking decision (which I heartily approve), it moved delivery to early December. But we were out of town all of December, so I asked Juiced to hold my delivery until January. All those extra weeks were ... well, not tough exactly, tough is having a child with a 103 degree fever and no idea why -- but it arrived January 16 and I've been riding most days since then. No regrets!

Just realize that Bosch charges around $1000 for a replacement 500Wh battery. If you’re charging it 2X a day to 100% five days per week that could get expensive. I like Bosch but until they come up with a bigger battery option I think their system is not very practical to use on longer commutes.

I've been riding my CCS with the standard 12.8 amp battery for three weeks now and it's awesome. I didn't want to wait for the upgraded battery. Part of me regrets not being patient because the bang to buck ratio of the 52 volt is gonna blow your mind I suspect. If you decide to cancel your order some lucky person is gonna love your bike.

Well, I can only hope that the CCS feels as smooth and polished as the Trek. I know Tora spent a lot of time getting the bike to feel nimble, quick, and comfortable, like a good long distance commuter should. If the Trek had a bigger battery, I would probably push harder with my wife to pony up the extra $1000. As it stands she laughed when she heard the price, and said its a good thing I already ordered. Code for "don't push your luck buddy". Seeing as how I have already ordered and received a few add on items for the CCS, I guess I get to keep waiting. I'm just impatient at this point and want my bike. Hopefully once I get the first ride in I can forget the Trek and have no regrets.:rolleyes:

Another option is to downgrade to the 19.2 ah battery, to double your savings. Personally, I would not spend an extra grand for a little more juice plus GPS (that's in the battery anyway, the first thing you remove to secure the bike) and the Satiator (which I'm mimicking with an outlet timer).

I know there are other benefits, like more sustained power, but that hasn't been an issue yet for me anyhow. 52V will come down in price I'm sure the next time I need a new battery.

You can add Gps to any battery for $250 if you want it. The Juiced site has live chat with customer service 9am Pacific time. They will send you an invoice by email with a link to pay. They will need your bike order number to link the Gps invoice to. I added it to my battery for piece of mind while camping with the bike.

I went to a ebike expo in this past december and got to test ride a bunch of ebikes. I also was considering the Trek super commuter, at the time it was 4999.00. I test rode the trek and the crosscurrent s back to back. I wasn't impressed with the trek as i was with the crosscurrent. The trek felt a little sluggish to get going and it felt like it lacked power. When i tried to shift gears it was loud and felt clunky. When i hopped on the crosscurrent, i immediately felt the power. The crosscurrent was so much faster and smooth. Shifting gears was nice and quiet. The bike just felt so much more fun to ride.

I went to a ebike expo in this past december and got to test ride a bunch of ebikes. I also was considering the Trek super commuter, at the time it was 4999.00. I test rode the trek and the crosscurrent s back to back. I wasn't impressed with the trek as i was with the crosscurrent. The trek felt a little sluggish to get going and it felt like it lacked power. When i tried to shift gears it was loud and felt clunky. When i hopped on the crosscurrent, i immediately felt the power. The crosscurrent was so much faster and smooth. Shifting gears was nice and quiet. The bike just felt so much more fun to ride.
And here we are. ;)

Thanks for the comparison info. I hope I have the same experience. If the CCS rides better than the Trek, then it'll be worth the wait. Oh the pain of waiting....:(

I think a big part of that is the CCS's *lowest* setting is at or close to most ebike's *highest* setting, 250 watts of assistance. I've had several people now try out the bike on Eco alone and they were surprised, although none of them had really tried ebikes.

Juiced also uses more entry level components (drivetrain, etc), and compensates with sheer wattage and watt hours lol.

Honestly if Juiced could just be 10% better on the basic fulfillment chain and communication front it would help a ton.

For example, I ordered a 19.2 CCS in late February which (at the time) was supposed to be "in stock" in mid March. March came and went and nothing. No email, no info on the order page (I refresh it daily like a madman).

I finally reached out via chat in early April and was told it was on the "list to ship" between April 9 and 17. No shipping notice yet, hoping it shows sometime and still refreshing the order page. I have no idea why it's taking so long.

If I'd received an email in March stating "the boat was delayed" or "your bike is in the US, but due to the size of the shipment it won't ship until mid April" I'd be annoyed but not anxious and wondering if they just took my money and ran.

I know this is a common refrain, but it just detracts from a company which by all accounts produces pretty good bikes for great prices. It's going to cap their growth if they don't fix it.

That Trek Super Commuter is a beautiful bike. I have not ridden one or seen it in person, but I obsessed over it a lot o_O I think the pricing is ridiculous, but if you could get it for $4K that sounds more like it.

However, it's not really a "super" commuter. Not with 500 Wh and a motor that may be a bit underpowered compared to the CCS. My CCS with the 12.8 is better, or even, on paper, for $1699. It rides beautifully, is smooth and nimble, and I've had no problems during the 300+ miles I've put on it over the past few weeks. No chain drops, no spoke issues (and I weigh 220 lbs.), nothing. I really love the bike, not just the price.

If you ordered the CCS with the 52V you're getting more than double the range, and more power, for $1K less. That's a no-brainer in my book.

When (and if) the big bike companies get their prices under control, and the new dual battery options become more available, then we'll see. But for now the looks aren't worth the $ to me.

Back