ODK U500 - geared hub replacement - which hub works?

Jep

The internally geared hub on one of our ODK U500's broke. The SRAM hub is discontinued and parts are unavailable so we are looking to replace the entire hub. Has anyone else done this before and can recommend a specific hub and shifter?

I was looking at the Shimano Nexus/Alfine 8-speed (or 7 speed) but the sheer number of different versions confused me. I do understand it should be 36-hole and compatible with disc brakes.

Thanks!

I created a ticket with Juiced a week ago but haven't heard back. That probably means that Juiced doesn't know either.

My local bike shop called Shimano and they recommend using their 3-speed hub because it's the only hub that comes with a rotary shifter. The 7 and 8-speed hubs come with thumb shifters and I think that wouldn't work on the left-hand side of the handlebars. Total cost $400 including labor, new spokes and new wheel. I'll post an update once it's all installed and working.

Everything is installed now and it's working fine. I only did a short ride, but so far it feels good, with similar ratios to the SRAM. Somehow it seems to ride a little smoother, maybe the Shimano hub has less friction than the SRAM.

The gear numbers on the shifter are on the bottom (not visible when biking), but potentially it could be rotated a bit. Honestly, I rarely look at it. The shifter seems to be a tiny bit bigger, but no problem with that.

In the rear, there is something sticking out near the right-hand hub bolt (see photos). It is behind my bike bags and hope it doesn't break when I have heave stuff in the bags. So far so good though.

The bike shop built a completely new wheel. They insisted on using thinner spokes and were confident that those would hold up. We'll find out over time.

The shop also had to replace the disc brake rotor, because the hub only supports Shimano's center lock mechanism.

I'm still wondering whether I could have used a 7- or 8-speed hub. I have 2 bikes with those hubs AND a rotary shifter, but one bike has V-brakes and the other roller brakes (not sure if that makes a difference vs. disc brakes). Shimano said 7/8-speed hubs are currently only supported with thumb shifters.

$450 labor and parts (San Francisco, so probably $80/hr)

IMG_20180707_132021.jpg
IMG_20180707_132106.jpg
IMG_20180707_132302.jpg

Back