SRAM X3 plus SRAM twist shifter won't upshift

indianajo

I have a 8 speed rear derailleur with SRAM X3 derailleur and SRAM comp twist shifter 8 speed. The takeup is a SRAM X4.
It stopped upshifting at 3 (2 mph). If I hit a big bump it will shift, usually just when I am starting uphill. Not being able to up shift down hills has added 1 to 2 hours to my 30 mile commute time. I have replaced the X3 derailleur, the x4 derailleur takeup, the rotary shifter, the cable (jaguar slick stainless) the cable housing (jaguar lubricated). Nothing helps. The cable sticks out a hole in the rotary shifter at speed 8. The chain reads 50% wear and the chain doesn't jump the cogs. I have it adjusted to firmly engage in the right cog if the shifter will actually move. Mostly I ride with a slack cable, unless I shift down to cog 2 for the steepest hills. I can't ride 30 miles at 2 mph, that would take 15 hours. I can't use a thumb shifter, that caused a cyst to grow above my thumb joint, 2016-17. The front electric motor pulls my time down to 5 hours but this Bafang 500w is pretty feeble. Any ideas? I'm not buying a better motor right now. Besides I was able to do the route with no power in 3.7 hours before 135 days of covid in 2020 .
I just ordered a shimano alfine 8 speed rear hub which should solve the problem but be heavier & slower with all those planatary gears whirring inside. I had a SturmeyArcher S80 IGH previously, that added about 10% to my times over a 7 speed derailleur. That S80 wore out the shifter ring in 500 miles, started popping the shift pawl off every half mile. Don't buy one of those. Will probably be November before I can get the Alfine laced in a wheel and working. After I stop riding to the hills to avoid the city ozone.

Last edited:
One thing to check is the final cable housing at the back near the derailleur. Some folks make these way too short and it causes more friction than it should.
The Jag Slick Wires are really good so I doubt that it is the problem.

Back