Nyon upgrade or Garmin for GPS?

Alanzo

Has anyone been using a Garmin for GPS and had the opportunity to campare it with a Nyon. I want to start using GPS on the Delite and I have zero experience with either Garmin or Nyon. The Nyon upgrade is not going to avaialable at my local R&M dealer until Sept. The cost appears to be similar for the Nyon upgrade or a Garmin 1030. Hoping to learn which GPS option may be best for bike friendly routes instead of roads with heavy traffic.

well the garmin is very good at mapping. I use ride with GPS to plan my trips and it will sync with things like strata and such. wont have my old Nyon for a bit to test it. so far my garmin is more useful to see track of my rides. e bike connect does not really sync with anything. I just wish I could send my watt meter o the kiox to the garmin for a overall tracker.

I have a 2021 NYON and tried the navigation in my city (Vancouver B.C.). This feature will not be used because the routes that the NYON directed me to, at least the couple I have tried, were on busy streets. I mean lots of traffic so I am not really impressed. Vancouver has a very well thought out bicycle network of travel routes and it would be ideal if the NYON was somehow designed to be aware of them. Also the directional changes, as you ride, are beeps as well as visual on the map. I cannot hear any of the beeps...my fault. Hear aids required.

So as for my opinion on a Garmin unit, I think it would be the same. Coming from a motorcycling background, city riding can be dangerous and maybe even more so with a bicycle so I take the least traveled streets and especially the bike friendly and designated routes in our city. So does Garmin make a bicycle specific GPS?

The good points of the NYON are 1) Records your trips 2) calculates your calories 3) can be outfitted with a heart rate monitor 4) Gives detailed data on your battery, motor and elevation to mention only a few ...most importantly is was designed for their line of motors. Finally the Bosch app and their internet site is done very well.

Comparing the Garmin and the NYON just for their GPS performance is not looking at the full compliment of features that the NYON offers. I would suggest finding Chris Nolte's NYON YouTube video that is very extensive and informative.

I create the routes for my Nyon using google maps (be sure to check the bike icon) and then convert the route to a gpx file using this quick and easy web site

I save the file to my desktop, go to my dashboard on the Bosch ebike-connect.com site and import the gpx file from my desktop. The next time I turn on the nyon within range of my home wifi, the route is synched to my Nyon and available whenever needed.

I have not played around with Komoot on my phone as a means to create better routes for the Nyon as I prefer working on a computer over a phone. Perhaps someone who has worked with Komoot can chime in here.

So as for my opinion on a Garmin unit, I think it would be the same. Coming from a motorcycling background, city riding can be dangerous and maybe even more so with a bicycle so I take the least traveled streets and especially the bike friendly and designated routes in our city. So does Garmin make a bicycle specific GPS?

The good points of the NYON are 1) Records your trips 2) calculates your calories 3) can be outfitted with a heart rate monitor 4) Gives detailed data on your battery, motor and elevation to mention only a few ...most importantly is was designed for their line of motors. Finally the Bosch app and their internet site is done very well.

Comparing the Garmin and the NYON just for their GPS performance is not looking at the full compliment of features that the NYON offers. I would suggest finding Chris Nolte's NYON YouTube video that is very extensive and informative.
garmin is a bike GPS and yes it will let you choose the type of roads that are mapped. garmin records your rides but since you can pause it and turn it off and back on you get one long ride instead of a bunch of smaller ones every time your bike powers off. it also does heart rate and elevation and calories burned cadence and more. it will also turn lights on and off and change their brightness. they are pretty close to what I get with the kiox. you get good power info on the nyon and kiox but the rest of the info is not as easy to get to. plus it is a pain to export the data to strava and such. it does not connect to health either though that seems to do very little. I still end up using both the kiox to see how many watts I put out and all my averages but the garmin to record my rides and put it all on strava so I can easily keep track.

So does Garmin make a bicycle specific GPS?
Yes, the Garmin Edge models at varying prices are all bike-specific.

The Garmin navigation is quite good, and the app and web site (Garmin Connect) are also decent. You can do turn-by-turn navigation with the Edge but I think RideWithGPS's phone app does a better job. It is easy to transfer routes between them and from Google Maps.

A high-end Garmin Edge like the 1030 has an ENORMOUS battery life. I can ride all day for two days and only use about 60% of the battery.

My rwGPS and Garmin Connect account are synced, which is also easy to do.

Yes, Google Maps is sometimes amazing for finding bike routes and I use it for initial surveying and planning.

Yes, the Garmin Edge models at varying prices are all bike-specific.

The Garmin navigation is quite good, and the app and web site (Garmin Connect) are also decent. You can do turn-by-turn navigation with the Edge but I think RideWithGPS's phone app does a better job. It is easy to transfer routes between them and from Google Maps.

A high-end Garmin Edge like the 1030 has an ENORMOUS battery life. I can ride all day for two days and only use about 60% of the battery.

My rwGPS and Garmin Connect account are synced, which is also easy to do.

Yes, Google Maps is sometimes amazing for finding bike routes and I use it for initial surveying and planning.
Yes I have the 1030+ it was really bad with the map till the last couple of updates it would give me wrong directions. Plus it connects to my garmin radar and my phone and gives me notifications. it also texts someone if you crash. I wish I could get my watts into it then it would record everything. but the calories burned are pretty close to what the Kiox gives me.

Well that's so good hear that there are options...these are glowing endorsements of the Garmin. I am going to look into it for my other bikes.

No experience with the Nyon, but I've been using Garmin GPS units since the Edge 305 circa 2007 or so (upgraded to the 800, then the 820 and currently use a 530). GPS is Garmins bread and butter and they are very good at it. They excel at guiding through a pre-planned route, but can be used for on the fly nav as well. Tracking is second to none and they sync well with both my ebikes (Giant and Shimano) to display ebike battery/assist mode and such in addition to the myriad other things they track and display.

Only criticism I have is that the screens are small and if you want to peruse a map for mid-ride route alterations I generally pull my iphone out instead of messing with the Garmin. The 1030 probably solves that at least partially. But I generally think of my Garmin as following pre-planned route and stat tracking devices instead of for on the fly navigation.

DCRainmaker is probably the best place on the internet for in depth reviews, and will give you an idea of what they can do and how well they do it. Here is his edge 530 review:

One of the main advantages offered by the Nyon is that no added sensors are needed as it already knows, cadence, wattage (yours and the bike's), elevation, position, speed and slope. The only add on sensor needed is a heart rate monitor. I think is it probably fair to say, at this point, that its primary weakness is mapping. Hopefully Bosch is aware of this and a future update will improve matters in this regard.

Its integration with the bike's systems, size, power supply, level of customization, automatic start and stop route recording, assembly of those segments into a complete ride with accurate time moving, automatic synch of all ride data using wifi upon arrival home and good user interface both on app and on pc browser still makes it one of the most useful cycle computers I know of.

Lot of excellent feedback with my inquiry for GPS.

My intent with bike GPS is to have something easy use for a bike trip into rural areas and return home. I doubt I will ever use other features such as elevation or HR as I'm just looking for a solution to know when to turn left or right on unfamiliar roads. Has to be easy to program and read on the screen display. Makes no difference if it's a Nyon or Garmin as long as its a simple solution to enjoy a rural ride and get back home before the batteries are drained. Also considering a spare PowerPack 500 for a long day trip.

Lot of excellent feedback with my inquiry for GPS.

My intent with bike GPS is to have something easy use for a bike trip into rural areas and return home. I doubt I will ever use other features such as elevation or HR as I'm just looking for a solution to know when to turn left or right on unfamiliar roads. Has to be easy to program and read on the screen display. Makes no difference if it's a Nyon or Garmin as long as its a simple solution to enjoy a rural ride and get back home before the batteries are drained. Also considering a spare PowerPack 500 for a long day trip.
If that's all you want I'd look at rwGPS and use their app. It works fine even if you don't have cell service and has the best turn-by-turn navigation that I've found.

You can build routes in the app (or on the web site, which works better for me) or import them from various places.

If that's all you want I'd look at rwGPS and use their app. It works fine even if you don't have cell service and has the best turn-by-turn navigation that I've found.

You can build routes in the app (or on the web site, which works better for me) or import them from various places.
Keeping the screen on and readable during daylight will drain your phone battery at a rapid clip.

I keep one of these in a little toptube top bag up front near the stem to keep the phone charged up during the ride.

20000mAh Power Bank With Cype C Micro USB Cable Display Mini Mirror Power Pack

f that's all you want I'd look at rwGPS and use their app. It works fine even if you don't have cell service and has the best turn-by-turn navigation that I've found.
Mr. Coffee,
Is rwGPS the sane as Ride with GPS available at Apple? I've been reluctant to use the iPhone for GPS as I am not sure if the the phone can be mounted on the bike with no chance of it dropping off on bad pavement. Some of the roads in my area are a lot of cracked asphalt. Lot of vibrations when I ride over that stuff.

Keeping the screen on and readable during daylight will drain your phone battery at a rapid clip.

I keep one of these in a little toptube top bag up front near the stem to keep the phone charged up during the ride.

20000mAh Power Bank With Cype C Micro USB Cable Display Mini Mirror Power Pack

I use a couple of the smaller Goal Zero power-banks for the same purpose. With two of the Flip 24's I can get four recharges.

Stick with Kiox (or whatever you have) plus phone or Garmin nav until the Nyon navigation issue is fixed. I made Bosch aware of the issues here and hopefully they are resolved soon. Nyon also does not have an active USB charging port for your phone (or alternative GPS device) like Kiox does which is a shame since I still use my phone for navigation still since Nyon's is also dangerously broken in my city (NYC) The tiny kiox & phone was my original setup that I miss; the larger Nyon (no nav) and Phone (no charging) is my current setup that I hope software can streamline to just the Nyon in the near future (also hoping they add phone notifications & music control "widgets"/pages to Nyon as well!)

Last edited:
Hey I just went and read your previous postings regarding the NYON. I found the same issues as you point out. The software doesn’t know the bike routes in my city of Vancouver. So when I have tried it, the routes it choose were to some of the highest traffic ones. I stopped using the navigation so I do hope Bosch spends some efforts in improving their software.

What are some other navigation units such as Garmin and other doing? Do they work better?

Hey I just went and read your previous postings regarding the NYON. I found the same issues as you point out. The software doesn’t know the bike routes in my city of Vancouver. So when I have tried it, the routes it choose were to some of the highest traffic ones. I stopped using the navigation so I do hope Bosch spends some efforts in improving their software.

What are some other navigation units such as Garmin and other doing? Do they work better?
Bosch said they know what the problem is and I'm guessing they need to adjust their map provider api settings to include the bike path info. I believe they are using OpenStreetMap which does capture bike data and correctly routes over bike lanes/shared roads when you route from the website. Hopefully they decide to switch map providers altogether (please Google Maps' api) as even OSM's bike data is a little off here in NYC.

If you can, please post on that thread that you are experiencing the same Nyon nav problem in VBC, perhaps calling more attention and effort from Bosch.

Last edited:

The problem with Nyon/Kiox navigation is widespread. It certainly occurs in New Zealand (see my comments via Steve's link).

My useful and preferred setup is Kiox plus my "previous" mobile mounted on the handlebar, and running the mapping app OSMAnd+ (https://osmand.net/features). See photo.

OSMAnd uses continually updated OpenStreetMaps (downloaded to device) with, optional, bike route orientated maps and four bike routing modes (plus a fifth using the brouter plugin). Covers most bases for me.

Now and again I check local bike routing with Google maps and have found it lags behind OSM and so wouldn't be a choice for me.

The only Nyon function that I'm interested in at present is the custom assist levels. Bosch, please implement that in the Kiox!

Peter

Attachments

• mobile_maps_kiox.jpg
    mobile_maps_kiox.jpg
    432.9 KB · Views: 327
Last edited:
Back